Bumper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yeah, its another bumper build thread. But since bumper build threads are one of my favorites, I thought there might be others like me...

This all started because the shifter seat decided it had had enough while on the trail rendering only reverse usable (or so I thought) and I didn't know about the pull-up-to-shift method when that happens. My unnamed buddy hooked up the tow strap and I got pulled to safety. At the top of the hill I hear "Oops, sorry man". Turns out he wrapped the strap AROUND the stock bumper and not the firmly mounted tow hook. An ugly mangled bumper resulted. Oh well. Took it off and scrapped it.

In my "spare" time at work I drew up a nice looking tube bumper design. I went back and forth whether to weld or bolt on. Bolt on won and I sent my drawing to our sheet metal vendor we use at work and got this back:

9236060846_b9f230a7e3_z.jpg

At the last minute, I settled on 1/4". Glad I did. It's stout:

9236066100_8db7da42d6_z.jpg

I'm using a Mile Marker 10500lb hydraulic winch that I had on my last 4x4. It's a pretty compact low-profile winch. I guess it's the regular non-integrated solenoid winch size? Either way, this is the winch on which I based my dimensions.

In the next photo there's some non related metal on the bench that isn't part of this. Mocking up the winch while holding the fairlead:

9233298977_6f8ca0d033_z.jpg

Disassembly:

9236082434_3e88f28de4_z.jpg

The goal was to get the winch between the frame rails and back as far as reasonable. This meant removing the valence which I didn't mind. But I knew that this would open a can of rusty worms :rolleyes:. Ugly naked shot :eek::

9233304797_0ed14730e8_z.jpg

You can see how ugly the rust is at the bottom edge below the headlight:

9236094882_75c630d1d9_z.jpg

After some rust trimming and black spray paint it's not too bad:

9236063774_100540213a_z.jpg

Now the fenders look like fangs coming down on either side :D

Approach angle. Of course the fairlead will stick out a little:

9236057224_d1700075da_z.jpg

A shot with the plate painted and no winch:

9236076772_921665c295_z.jpg

There is some design for assembly in here too. The winch can be removed with the plate bolted to the frame. And, this is SUPER easy to install AND remove. Slide it over the frame rails and bolt using existing holes that are from drilling out the bumper bracket rivets.

Thats probably going to be all for a while due to lack of funds. But there are plans for some tubing protection, shackle mounts and other little bits that most bumpers get. This will be after the PSC pump goes in.

On a side note, the wife was glad the wEnch was back on so the jokes can commence. To which I replied that this wench, too, was just for looks and doesn't really do anything right now :grinpimp:

Looking forward to seeing the final product. I like the plate idea for the winch mount. Looks really well done so far. Keep it up :D

Bumper threads are like JELL-O, there's always room for more :D

I'll be following this too. Always looking for ideas for when I can start building my new bumper.

x 2 as Spook50

That is a killer wench plate. Any ideas about producing a few of these and selling them?

That is a killer wench plate. Any ideas about producing a few of these and selling them?

I actually could do that. I've made a revision to my drawing after mounting this up to account for some minor interferences.

This does require drilling out the four rivets on each side of the frame for the bumper mounting brackets and removing or modifying the valence.

Keeps it nice and tight to the body loosing almost no approach angle and keeping the radiator airflow clear. Works for me.

Nice and tight to the body, me likey. Interested to see the next phase.

I wonder if that would also hold an 8274.

Would it be possible to drill extra holes on top and bottom for more bolting options to the frame?

I'm really impressed with how close and neat looking it is. Simplicity and function at work. Really well done, and I too would be interested in dimensions of the wench plate!

Thanks everyone!

Would it be possible to drill extra holes on top and bottom for more bolting options to the frame?

Anything is possible. However, I plan on welding tube to the top surface, so I didn't want bolts up there.

As a note to put in your files for the future. If you plan on selling these, You will need to offset the winch
about 1 3/8" to the drivers side for electric Warns up to 9500lbs and the same offset to the passenger side
for the M10000 thru M15000. This is due to the position of the motor . The Motor is on the passenger's side on the smaller winches and the driver's side on the big ones. Their newer stuff like the Endurance, Compressor and VR series all seem to follow the smaller platform with the passenger side motor.

I would also be interested in the winch plate if you start selling them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom