Tech Article: How to put 60 series axles under a 40 or 55 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Basically, since the article ran in the Mar / April issue of trails I can post up about how I put a 62 axle under the front of my 55. It is the same process for 40 series guys so this is why I thought I'd post up in this section of the forum..

The purpose of the 60 axle is it has beefier components and it is about 2.75" wider, about perfect for most trucks with bigger tires and or lift. Seems to work well for both SUA and SOA trucks but is much easier to install in a SOA truck IMO. If I was sprung under, I would just do wheel spacers I think... But it handles / works much better than spacers IMO (which I have also run)...

In the rear, it is no big deal to put 60 axles under, simply weld on spring perches to the correct width, a hair narrower because 60's have a wider frame in the rear. No major mods needed.

FJ62's have 4.10, fine splined gears, and 60's have 3.73s. 3.73s are great for highway but are very fast. I installed a FJ62 axle which has some small advantages over the FJ60 axle in addition to the gearing...

In the front it is much more complicated because, when Toyota extended the width of axles for the new 60 series, they did it by adding on one side only, the long side. This, in effect, moves the pumkin farther to the passenger side when putting under a 40/55. You will notice the spring perch is already in the side of the pumpkin quite a bit SOA or SUA, so there is little room to work with to make it even narrower. But that said it has been done. It is ugly but I suppose it could work...

Option 1: Notch the axle housing to put the spring perch into it. You have to cut into the housing, it still leaves you no u bolt options so you have to perminently weld u bolts to your housing (bad idea IMO) and is ugly usually...

Option 2: Build "up" the perch on both sides. Adds about 1-2" of lift SOA, or takes away 1-2" of lift SUA. It is sort of like having blocks on a lifted rig. Works but the height difference is too noticable IMO for this to be a practical solution, makes axle wrap easier, and requires use of wrap bars IMO. That said I've seen proffitt's cruiser do it nicely and cleanly. Is probably the easiest/best outcome for minimal work...

Option 3: the hardest: widen your spring hangers... Best option IMO. Also makes handling a little better and more stable because springs are wider with relatively little loss of articulation... So this is what this writeup focuses on...

Last edited:
My technique was to use a proffitt's cruisers spring hanger from their weld-on shackle reversal kit. Very beefy and I put this in the rear of the spring. In the front, I moved the factory shackle hanger out about 1.3" wider and inward about 1/2" to get a better shackle angle.

First I cut off the rear hangers:
Picture 024.jpg
SM_Picture 070.jpg

Last edited:
Next I marked exactly where the old hanger sat both distance from tip of frame and how wide on the spring.

Then I marked on the new hanger from proffitt's...
SM_Picture 074.jpg
SM_Picture 076.jpg
Picture 024.jpg

Last edited:
Here you can see how I marked the hanger and spring width vertically, so I would get an idea of how to move it out a certain distance... Then you see it welded in. I welded on all 4 corners of the hanger to the frame.
SM_Picture 077.jpg
SM_Picture 078.jpg

Then in the front I cut off the front hanger, as mentioned before, and also moved out, reusing the factory hanger..
SM_Picture 081.jpg

Then I gussetted everything. Places where metal was thin from grinding (suchas the front hanger) I beefed up with a little extra metal / welding. It has held up awesome and should for the life of the rig ( I just sold it about a month ago). I then took it to get an alignment after doing the job and it tracks straight as an arrow...
SM_Picture 126.jpg
SM_Picture 127.jpg

Last edited:
dieselcruiserhead said:
thanks Wes I guess if there are no quetsions then its a good thing? :)

I have a question, and I apologize in advance if it's a stupid one. Would it be possibe to cut 2.75" out of the long side of the axle tube just inside of the spring perch, and then use a FJ40 inner axle in place of the longer one?

CruisinGA said:
why would you do this?

just swap the third member and knuckles to the FJ40 axle instead...

Sorry, I wasn't expicit enough. The axles on my FJ62 are HJ61 cable locking FF. My FJ62 is a North East truck so, well you know.... Anyway, I'm planning to move the drivetrain (minus the A440F) to a 40 frame. It'll probably be SUA to keep a stock look.

Bill

billmc said:
I have a question, and I apologize in advance if it's a stupid one. Would it be possibe to cut 2.75" out of the long side of the axle tube just inside of the spring perch, and then use a FJ40 inner axle in place of the longer one?

Start with a 40 housing

Bailey I really dig the width of the 60 housing without having to run way small BS wheels or spacers = hard on knuckles.

bustanutley said:
Start with a 40 housing

But the point is to not lose the cable lockers and FF in rear. For my purposes, the extra width is not necessary since I'll probably be running no larger than 33x10.5s.

Thanks,
Bill

billmc said:
But the point is to not lose the cable lockers and FF in rear. For my purposes, the extra width is not necessary since I'll probably be running no larger than 33x10.5s.

Thanks,
Bill

start with a 40 series FF axle and use a 75 series axle shaft to suit factory lockers

bustanutley said:
Bailey I really dig the width of the 60 housing without having to run way small BS wheels or spacers = hard on knuckles.

Anything larger than a 31" tire increases the wear and abuse on the knuckles/bearings etc....

Being able to accomplish the same thing with different wheels sure is a lot less work.

To each thier own.

:beer:

Now in the FAQ!

All LC axles are full floating in the front, there is pretty much little-to-no difference in the front between 40 and 60 series axle housing, from a strength or performance standpoint in the front. The only front axle housing that is slightly 'stronger' is a 62 axle which has a factory truss to prevent bending as well as 80 series.. But this 62-only strengthing is sort of a luxury and not necessary, I have only known a few guys who have actually bend axle housings that would actually warrant requiring a trussed axle housing...

Your rear HJ61 axle will go under your 40 series frame very easily. You will need to cut off the old spring perches and buy a new set and weld them in slightly inwards. Then you 60 axle will bolt under your 40 series frame in the rear.

In the front, as these guys are saying, simply use a 40 series axle housing. That is -- if you don't want to go through the hassle of what is discussed in this article. They are all interchangable from I believe '69 and up, all diffs, knuckles etc are all interchangable. Then use all of your steering, disk brake, 3rd member with the cable lockers, etc bolted to the 40 series axle. Otherwise, you will have to widen your spring hangers as discussed in this article. It took me about 2-3 nights to successfully do but that was with lots and lots of measuring as well... Then either use 1 or 1.5" wheel spacers in the front to have them match, or don't use wheel spacers at all and have the extra width in the rear only. It sounds corny but I know a few guys who run this (mostly to have 60 series full floats in the rear) and it works fine and doesn't look to odd at all, in fact barely noticable..

Last edited:
dieselcruiserhead said:
All LC axles are full floating in the rear

Not here in the USA....not until the 80 series in 1993.

Semi-float Land Cruiser axles have c-clips that keep the axle in the housing and bearing. :)

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom