First FJ40!!! - Build Up Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First FJ40!!! - Build Up Thread - Whistle help???

First off I am a NEWBIE!!!! So bring on the:flipoff2: ...

OK... I finally did it. I got my first 40 last week. Its basically a barn find from up in the GA mtns. A 1977 with 62K miles. Original everything... almost. Clutch, and timing belt replaced some time back. New front bumper and newer tires.

Thoughts anyone on what to do first... Want to keep it original looking and a daily driver.

Thinking of rebuilding the front knuckles and overall tune up. What I need help with first is diagnosing is a high pitched whistle at low RPMs. I was told by a friend that it may be a vacuum leak. Where do I start with that?

Here are the pix on my Picasa page:

Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - 1977 Toyota F...

Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - Land Cruiser ...

Thanks for any advice!!! and Recommendations!!!

Last edited:
That is a real sweet find. Get some good degreaser and clean those front knuckles up. The leak a little grease over time and maybe that is what has accumulated over a real long time. Either way you will see what you are dealing with. As for the vacuum leak, best place to start is with a real good listen. Could be leaking anywhere, easier to listen and narrow it down when it is low RPM leak, less noise.

Thanks for that... I will try and locate the whistle as best as possible.

I have heard that knuckle rebuilds are best done by the pros... Cause they are messy, confusing and difficult?... Thoughts?

I was also told that desmoging was a next good step... Thoughts on a desmog? Keeping in mind resale, MPG and legality.

Can anyone show me a good thread on desmoging pros/cons?

Thanks!!!

I did a lot of research before I bought... ~ 4 months... so I knew what I wanted and status of the current market... Don't worry I think I got a good deal on it... :p No shotguns changed hands. HA.

Desmog thoughts anyone?

I have heard that knuckle rebuilds are best done by the pros... Cause they are messy, confusing and difficult?... Thoughts?

Who told you that??? You can do the knuckle yourself, just follow the FSM and a few threads here. Even better find someone near you to show you how. Yes, it's messy, but is the mess worth trading a big chunk of change to get them done? Last I heard from beno, the standard charge for that is over $1000 at Toyota. Besides, you don't really know the heart of a Toyota 4WD until you've taken the front axle apart.

That is a sweet score. I could only dream of a body that good....

Dan

Who told you that??? You can do the knuckle yourself, just follow the FSM and a few threads here. Even better find someone near you to show you how. Yes, it's messy, but is the mess worth trading a big chunk of change to get them done? Last I heard from beno, the standard charge for that is over $1000 at Toyota. Besides, you don't really know the heart of a Toyota 4WD until you've taken the front axle apart.

Dan

First off, great looking cruiser.

Secondly, I couldn't agree more with Dan. I am in the middle of rebuilding mine right now. The FSM is a big help, but honestly, this thread was even more help. It is about doing a mini-truck conversion, but all the parts are pretty much the same, and it really helped me with my tear down.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...t-axle-disc-brake-conversion-dummies-faq.html

I have been taking a lot of pictures of my project as I go but not really writing the technical details as it is all very well documented here already. My build thread and pictures are

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/387163-sancha-rebuild-project.html

and

My Blue Heaven

Good luck and please keep your build up thread going, I love reading them.

Welcome:flipoff2:, and nice fawking find! Keep it stock, OEM is my .02. You have a nice foundation for a restoration, or a rare original truck. I'd get a nice OEM tune up kit from one of the quality Mud supporting vendors, give Marksoffroad.net a call to rebuild the carb, change all the fluids and drive it. This Forum will most likely be your most invaluable tool. If you decide to desmog, keep all of your parts intact as the next buyer will most certainly want them. Look forward to watching your progress. Good luck with your project. And oh,:flipoff2:. :steer: Brendon

Dan

I have to agree with Dan because he helped me do mine. It is messy, but once you do it you feel like you can tackle other stuff no problem. Plus, while I was rebuilding mine I was able to swap over to Aisan lock-out hubs, no more Warns.

Thanks all for the good advice guys. I think I will start with the knuckles... starting to read up now. Going to get the FSM too. Look like others have done it pretty easily... and saves a lot of cash. I read somewhere that rebuilding the knuckles is like a rite of passage for Land Cruiser owner. I am planning to keep it as original as possible.

Advice on parts?

PM lingo about rebuilding your knuckles.

he does good work for reasonable money.

Thanks for all the advice guys... I just ordered the FSMs from SOR and will look into do doing the knuckles myself. Going to keep asking around and getting advice. I'll keep this thread going on the process.

I will help , even if I might not be that much help. maybe we can have a day at it , plus I am sure I will need some help with a couple things soon....

77 Knuckle Rebuild DONE!!!

So my first ever mod/maintenance was rebuilding the front knuckles on my 77 FJ40. I had some great help from a new friend who had done a few dozen of these and I also bought the FSM.

The guy helping me, "Lingo", said I was either "brave or stupid" for starting with this repair... well I am probably a bit of both...

It went well and was completed in about 8.5 hours of work over 2 days, and he didn't even get his hands too dirty. Now I feel like its my cruiser and know every part on the front axle. I sanded and rattle canned the exposed frame flat black and repainted the front bumper pewter, with a can of FJ40 Silver from JT Outfitters. It looks great and will put it on tomorrow.

I used all OEM parts from CDan except the Marlin Inner Axel Seals from advice on Mud. Thanks to all who gave me advice and support.

Here are some more pix on my Picasa page:
Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - FJ40 Knuckle ...

Next repair will be the exhaust manifold and exhaust itself.

Then a vacuum leak that is whistling at low RPMs, and OEM full tune up kit.

I would love ya'lls thoughts and recommendations? Since I am still a newbie... so bring on the ************!!!!
IMGP3206.jpg
IMGP3223.jpg
IMGP3208.jpg

mmmmmmmm yummy!!

Keep up the progress - check out that center-arm while you're in there. It'll keep 'er running straight, as much as a 40 can :)

I agree, keep the smog stuff - they'll need 'em when you sell it to.....uh.....ME!

Nice 40! Im pretty jealous of what you have there! I believe my knuckles need repaired as well.. what parts did you order in order to do yours? Did you convert to disc?

haha, done that last weekend as well, but mine was a disk conversion, made it alot easier that i've done that many swivel hub rebuilds that i know the preload my hand, and that mr toyota dealership donated all the SST's when i left them (don't screw ur mechanics around cause it bites u in the ass)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom