Home grown Twin Stick Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok well finaly got my twinstick shifters finished...Need to paint and weld on the shift levers but wanted to make sure everything was going to be good before I did that.

P2220173.JPG

P2220179.JPG

I got the balls(hehe) and heims from mcmastercar.com everything else i made.

The shifter pivot i used the origonal stud and cut the pivot off. Drilled it out and used a 5/8s rod i had. I didn't like the how sloppy it was with the stock diameter part. Should be getting a couple wavey washers to set the preload on the levers so they are nice and snug.

Stew

Nope can't run front wheel drive only with a cruiser t-case

only the D300, 203(205?) Atlas and hopefully the new STaK(similar to atlas but 3spd t-case)

Stew

Wow, nice work! I was just going to post on here the best way to mod my stock t/c linkage to now work with a SM420 and AA adapter. I think what you've done is far better than any mod I would have came up with.

What threaded rod did you use for the actual rods? What size heim joints are those?

Nice work!! :D (Wanna make one for my setup??) :D

no front wheel drive since the tcase just meshes the front drivline shaft with the rear for four wheel drive

you could just take out rear drivline then you got front wheel drive.

I used 5/16 female rod ends. I didn't have any 5/16-24 thread bolts that i just cut down and welded onto 5/16 rod. I was going to thread the 5/16rod but it was a PITA and i kept screwing it up so i just welded studs on.

Stew

it looks good, about haw much did the project cost, metal, joints, balls etc..

all the metal=free...basicly it is just stuff i have had around for awhile.

the balls and rod ends were maybe 15-20 dollars from mcmaster car if that total.

Stew

Stew,
Do you lose the neutral setting (Xfer) w/your setup?

Just curious...thanks,
manny

grainger is another good source for the heims...i just picked up a couple 1/4" ers for about $5 ea

mr_manny said:
Stew,
Do you lose the neutral setting (Xfer) w/your setup?

Just curious...thanks,
manny

Cannot see why he would, I did not when I made my first twin stick back in 1996.

The 'neutral setting' is controlled inside the t-case by the shift fork lever, shift fork, rail, detents and the high/low speed collar. How these components are manipulated from the outside will not change this.

Good luck!

-Steve

tonkota said:
Why is this a cool idea? What does it do for your rig?

Permits low range, two wheel drive, which has been useful while trailriding from time to time for me...

Good luck!

-Steve

of course, so does getting rid of the shift gate....2 low is wonderful to have, for those that don't have it yet.

tonkota said:
Not only 2 low, But you are sure you are in the range you want to be in, I know with mine I have to move it back and forth some times so I know where i am with the stock setup.
Very nice, There is another thing to add to the list when I get that dern NV4500 project started.

"The shifter pivot i used the origonal stud and cut the pivot off. Drilled it out and used a 5/8s rod i had."

So what holds the 5/8" rod to the case? Did you drill and tap the case?
Very clean looking setup. Thanks for the post.

Ed

tonkota said:

I guess it's just a personal thing, but, to me at least, it just seems more intuitive to have two sticks for two functions.... rather than "stirring" that one stick in a circle.

And, any DIY post where the DIY'er used their head for something other than a hat rack... and came up with a fresh/novel/easier/stronger/lighter/money saving approach...... is very interesting to me.

john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom