Home grown Twin Stick Pics (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Degnol said:
"The shifter pivot i used the origonal stud and cut the pivot off. Drilled it out and used a 5/8s rod i had."

So what holds the 5/8" rod to the case? Did you drill and tap the case?
Very clean looking setup. Thanks for the post.

Ed

I used the stud that was sticking out of the case, it is basicly a bolt on one side to go into the tranny and a shaft coming out that the normal shifter pivots on, i cut the shaft off and drilled it out and welded my piece of 5/8 rod to it.

The problem I had was that with two independent shifters I used a 5/8 drill which was slightly to large for the shaft and it wobbled…nobody likes looses shifters running around. So I decided to just use a 5/8 steel rod I had in the scrap bin.

Stew

sherwood said:
I guess it's just a personal thing, but, to me at least, it just seems more intuitive to have two sticks for two functions.... rather than "stirring" that one stick in a circle.

And, any DIY post where the DIY'er used their head for something other than a hat rack... and came up with a fresh/novel/easier/stronger/lighter/money saving approach...... is very interesting to me.

john

Thanks John,

I really gleaned the idea from others and the designed a setup that would work for me. i think AA twinstick setup for the FJ40 is like 200.00 bucks. If i had 200bucks to blow i would have shocks and be done with my cruiser

Stew

ok maybe this is stupid question but which lever does what and are you going to remove the original lever?

The one with the Black knob is Hi-N-Lo, the Red ball is 2WD-4WD. The stick all the way to the left is something else, some sort of crawl box?
On my 40, I don't have that box, so the T-case is about 4-5 inches further forward. When I try this, the 2WD-4WD won't need the bar going backward.

The one with the Black knob is Hi-N-Lo, the Red ball is 2WD-4WD. The stick all the way to the left is something else, some sort of crawl box?
On my 40, I don't have that box, so the T-case is about 4-5 inches further forward. When I try this, the 2WD-4WD won't need the bar going backward.

Marlin Crawler ToyBox
:grinpimp:
web.jpg

Looks good!

Ordering parts to make the linkage now. I think I'm going to keep it metric.

Wow, really looks fantasic. Does your ratio change any? Not counting the crawl box?
I'm thinking not so much... but that's why I'm asking :meh:

:steer:

Wow, really looks fantasic. Does your ratio change any? Not counting the crawl box? I'm thinking not so much... but that's why I'm asking

Why/how would adding a twin stick change a gear ratio? :confused:

Why/how would adding a twin stick change a gear ratio? :confused:

Well now there you go... I just hadn't prefaced the question with
might be a stupid question..... :doh:

:beer:

Does anyone know the diameter of the pivot screwed into the side of the transmission? Or where that type of info can be found?

Does anyone know the diameter of the pivot screwed into the side of the transmission? Or where that type of info can be found?

I had a couple sitting around and measured them. 16mm or 5/8 almost identical.
The one that is stepped is thinner in the middle and is from an older 3 speed. I think the one on the top is from either a later 3 speed or a 4 speed. If doing a twin stick, I think you want to find the one that is not stepped, otherwise you are building in some slop.

GL

Ed
pivot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!!! I'm offshore so I won't have access to the 40 for another week or so. I'm trying to preorder as much as possible. I'm not sure which bolt I have, only that there is one sticking out the side of the transmission.

If it's 5/8ish, I'm thinking of cutting some tube about the size of a shock loop. Then I can put in a shock bushing, and weld tabs to the outside of the tube for attachment points, just like cruzer did.

I also did the dual stick setup and I was not aware thet there are two diffirent shafts. I have the top pic so I added some spot welds to the shaft and ground them to fit the 5/8 dom I used for the sleves.
I got me himes from a race car shop Racecar Engineering - Your Racing Headquarters . Lots o great stuff there very insturmental in my build.

I'm not sure if I should use a rubber bushing or just 5/8 ID tube. I don't know if there would be a benefit to the bushing.

I tried making my own but finally gave up and got the AA kit. Works great! The OP's solution is very similar to the AA kit. If you have access to someone else's AA kit I think you could copy it.

So, how does your design work on the trail Cruzer?Im likin this design. Was gonna go with something similar the the AA unit, but this seams more simple to build.

So, how does your design work on the trail Cruzer?Im likin this design. Was gonna go with something similar the the AA unit, but this seams more simple to build.

Cruzer is no longer into Cruisers (wife and kid now) He did sell the rig to another guy in our
club who rebuilt the rig. Twin sticks worked fine while he was running it. The rig is now undergoing a V8
auto trans conversion.

Cruzer is no longer into Cruisers (wife and kid now) He did sell the rig to another guy in our
club who rebuilt the rig. Twin sticks worked fine while he was running it. The rig is now undergoing a V8
auto trans conversion.

I have cruzers old rig. It does work okay but out to be made out of some beefier parts . you can feel the handles flex while shifting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom