water from firewall behind heater entering through windshield hood vent. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I think I am missing a drain hose. I was washing my 73 FJ40 and getting some of the grime off it and ran the hose right over the vent/grate right in front of the windshield.

Murphy struck and water started pouring down above and behind the heater all over the passenger side floorboard. So I stuck my finger up there and wouldn't you know it, I think I blew out a clogged drain opening and instead of stopping water from pouring inside because it is clogged, I now have a nice round drain hole draining water on my firewall.

Is there suppose to be a hose under the windshield that drains into the engine area? Anyone have a picture, diagram, or can explain how I need to fix this so water doesn’t come inside through the drain hole?

Is there suppose to be a hose under the windshield that drains into the engine area? Anyone have a picture, diagram, or can explain how I need to fix this so water doesn’t come inside through the drain hole?

Yes there is a hose.

SOR has pictures.

Cowl vent drain hose.

If you pull your instrument cluster out you can get a good angle of attack on the left hose. The right one is a bit harder. I used heater hose for mine.

Here is a pic of where you need to get to. You may need to unbolt the heater to gain access , or if you have really small hands you can possibly go through the gauge cluster hole. Don't forget to disconnect the battery....
Vent1.jpg

After I connect new hoses to the drain spouts, do they go through the two holes in the firewall I see in your picture or do they run someplace else?

Cowl Vent Drain

My 75 FJ40 does not have the holes shown in the picture. I ran a single hose from the driver side down through a hole behind the gas peddle. I plugged the other drain hose. I wonder what the cowl vent is for except looks? It does nothing on my 75 but collect dirt?

I open mine all the time. Keeps the hot ambient air seeping up from my heater from behind the dash I guess. Toyota apparently decided that is was not really worth anything since they removed it after only a couple years.

wow...old thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom