Winter projects on your rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

What sort of projects are you guys doing on your trucks this winter?

I myself am doing two upgrades and a repair or two on my '74 FJ40 (see my ROTW) in anticipation of getting back out on the trail this spring.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/148943-rotw-josieslandcruiser.html

The upgrades are a Delco high-output alternator upgrade and longer leaf springs under the rearend. The major repair is the latch on the swing-away spare tire carrier.

I've completed the alternator upgrade project, and all seems to being working fine.

I'm in the middle of the rear suspension upgrade - have stripped-out the old springs and am just bolting-up the new, longer replacements.

I've purchased a replacement latch to replace the broken one of the spare tire carrier, but have not got around to installing it yet.

So, what about you guys? Tell us about your winter projects on the rig!

Regards,

Alan

1974 fj40 i just got new seats put in it, a full cage i bought off of spector and now for the gears and lockers. Easter jeep safari is going to be fun fun fun. Any recomendations on lockers? I already own a lock right i just have to decide which axle to put it in, Also i think i am going to put in 488's that should work great with my 35's.....

My big project was some rust repair in the rear corners. I have attached a before and after picture. This was my first real body work. I realized that I am not a "body man". My feeble skills barely got me by, but it looks okay. From a few feet away, you can't even tell. The paint even turned out pretty good. The sill was rusted out underneath, so I had to weld in some good metal to that, also. The project probably would have been easier if I would have used some patch panels from CCOT or the like, but I just used a piece of 14g metal that I bent around the corner and tacked in.

If not for the info here on Mud, I would have never attempted such a project. Thanks everyone!
emblem0001.jpg
left rear rust repair.jpg

Hi All:

"Mikey," I'd throw the Lockrite into the rear diff and go have fun in Moab! The 4.88s with 35s will be great off-road but your highway speeds will suffer.

"FF," nice job on that body tub corner! :beer: Looks great!

Regards,

Alan

I have a couple projects going on my '71

Power Steering-I am using a '68 Impala box and I built my own mounting bracket out of .25 plate. also pump from Impala.

Disk Brakes- Front and Rear-Mini truck front / GM rear.

SOA-This is what I am working on right now and there is alot of things to figure out in order to get it right the first time! Also doing shackle reversal and spring flip at the same time.

And if I get all of this done I have a set of seats to mount.

Wish me luck....:cheers:

My big project is A/C. It is ongoing, but almost done. Can't wait to get it buttoned up....hopefully this week. I went with Vintage Air's fj40 kit as they don't make one specific to 55's.

Needless to say.....the :princess: has been carefully supervising/following the install. I probably would have continued using the OE armstrong unit that came with rig :D

A fun but expensive list. With one full four day weekend down.

New rear floor, driverside floor, Passanger floor, new rocker patches (slightly shaved...as in bent and re welded rear wheel wells), rear cab corners and of course a new sill.

To come:

One new wheel stud (Missing)

New tires (dry rotted)..to bad as they have 90% tread.

4" lift kit hells creek already on its way

A couple new lights,

A new wireing system

A new paint job

And a partridge in a freaking pare tree.

Hopefully I can get this all done by April. I haven't even put 2 miles on it yet driving it up and down my driveway.

Watching the rust grow

My winter project is to learn how to post pictures on this site. I have read faqs and done search, but I go to someplace to 'resize' and stuff, but I don't understand the terminology and become 'dazed and confused'. A neighbor has offered to come help me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Th project I'm doing in the shop is transplanting the mechanicals from a rusty '76 fj40 into my '66 Arizona fj45. I also need to address rusty floorboards in the 45, and a total brake job...oh yeah, new fenders, and re-wire. I have many years worth of parts in my attic over the shop, and with the 1000. fj 40 parts rig, I should be able to keep expenses down to a reasonable level. Yeah, Right.

i need to build some sliders,

repair the trail damge to the rear fender well and beadlock my spare.

ive been so lazy this winter.

I second that island45. I don't know how to post pics yet either.

I have a few projects.:

One goal is to get "Project Lando" down to the frame for sandblasting. As I go, I am sandblasting small parts as I go.

Goal Two: I am rebuild a Warn 8274. I would like to post pics eventually. I have seen the build up that was posted some years ago and I have almost exactly the same winch. I am however having some different difficulties. I will explain further in the near future.

Goal Three: Get a lift kit. Probably going with Dakkar 2.5", but I have to pay for some other items before I can do that. This may be a Spring project.

Last winter in January a hose clamp I dropped into my intake accidently when changing my brake booster came apart and lodged itself into a couple of my intake valves. So last winter I spent getting the head rebuilt and reinstalled in a cold barn by lanternlight.

This past Thanksgiving I broke my rear pinion in Moab - after 6 hours of wrenching was able to swap my front to my rear and drive it home. Now that it's home I've been doing lots of things to it: repainted my new front bumper gussets and license plate bracket, cleaned out my new to me 8274 and put new oil in it, replaced my rear axle seals and diff cover gaskets, reinstalled Lockright & 3rd member, popped the inspection plates and nose cone of my t-case to check on a grumbling sound coming from there and to fix a leak, put that back together, installed axle breathers into the engine bay, adjusted my handbrake, tried setting up the r&p for my front end but then got a free 3rd member so just plugged that in after cleaning up the front axle housing (I'll rebuild the other one for a spare later), going to recenter the steering knuckles and do a front axle rebuild and replace the frozen wheel cylinders and shoes of my rear brakes, reinstall driveshafts, move my CB and install a ham, replace my now s-shaped springs with new ones and make new shackles. I think that's it, so many upgrades I wanted to do but need it running to drive to work when it snows. This winter I've upgraded - we got switched flourescent lighting in the barn now, but it's still unheated and uninsulated so I've got a propane space heater :D

Next winter is gonna be right back at it: FJ60 p/s, springover+traction bar, FJ60 knuckles w/Hi-steer, Aisin hubs + new later model birfs. Maybe new clutch, Orion, OBA, heated seats, storage system and upgraded rear recovery points too.

Last edited:
I've got a couple projects in mind, since I'm off 'till 3-1. #1- Heater. Got that fixed and installed. Nice to have something other than the headers on the 350 warming the floor boards. #2- In cab winch controls. Should be fairly easy, as I allready have the wires run, from when I ran a Tarus fan. And #3, get my SM 420/3 spd case setup ready. Mostly small stuff at this point, shifters, rear mt, etc. Helps that I have a spare case to play with. Thats about it for me, Al

Replace the water pump (done)
Install a new intake manifold gasket, note to self call Mark.
Figure out what to do since I have a bad accelerator pump.
Body work on Old Green, see just how much bondo is under that primer.
New Passenger side fender.
Adjust drums.

It will be an interesting winter for a :banana: mechanic.

Hi All:

"Island45," sounds like a big project but it seems that you have all the right parts on hand!

For re-sizing photos check-out this website:

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

It is free downloadable software that is really easy to use.

Good luck!

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My winter project is to learn how to post pictures on this site. I have read faqs and done search, but I go to someplace to 'resize' and stuff, but I don't understand the terminology and become 'dazed and confused'. A neighbor has offered to come help me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Th project I'm doing in the shop is transplanting the mechanicals from a rusty '76 fj40 into my '66 Arizona fj45. I also need to address rusty floorboards in the 45, and a total brake job...oh yeah, new fenders, and re-wire. I have many years worth of parts in my attic over the shop, and with the 1000. fj 40 parts rig, I should be able to keep expenses down to a reasonable level. Yeah, Right.

Hi All:

So, here are a couple pics of my winter projects. First off the alternator upgrade.

In the photo of the engine compartment one can see the new 105 amp Delco alternator, and how it has dual mounting ears not unlike the stock Toyota alternator. To get the pulley lined-up properly with the water pump pulley I needed to space the Delco rearwards a bit. I accomplished this by grinding away material from the rear mounting ear of the stock alternator bracket.

The pulley I used was from the Toyota alternator - it fit the key on the Delco unit just fine. The new alternator is hard wired with four gauge directly to the positive post of the battery, completely bypassing the stock wiring harness.

Regards,

Alan
DSCN0348.JPG

this winter? Im doing a pretty much full build up. I got this 72 not to long ago. and its pretty much stripped right now. Plan on getting my engine drive tran. and mocking it up. And make my 77 more street friendly

dsfasdfad009.jpg

Eric

Hi All:

Now, the rear suspension upgrade.

I was inspired by Alex (aka "FJFool) to install longer springs in the rear. Like him, I choose OME 60 Series TLC rear springs (medium load rated.) I re-drilled the top leaf of the packs and reversed the other leaves. This should move ther rear axle back at least four inches.

I am still in the middle of this project. From the photo one can see that the new springs are attached, but I have not tightened the fasteners yet, not but any weight on the springs.

I need to determine if the shackles I'm using are long enough, the length the drive shaft will need to be, and how to mount the shocks.

Regards,

Alan
DSCN0352.JPG

I have already gotten a good start on a lot of this. I will check out the infanview site, thanks. and Spotcruiser has posted some pictures of my 45 in the 45 owners club forum. Look in the thread called 'late thursday or early friday'. Yes, a big project, but I was a single parent Dad for many years, and now 3 outa 4 have moved to the mainland, and I find the wrenching is way better than television in the evening...:beer: And I gotta x 2 that on that left rear quarter repair. Nice job!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom