Winter projects on your rig? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My winter project is to learn how to post pictures on this site. I have read faqs and done search, but I go to someplace to 'resize' and stuff, but I don't understand the terminology and become 'dazed and confused'. A neighbor has offered to come help me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Th project I'm doing in the shop is transplanting the mechanicals from a rusty '76 fj40 into my '66 Arizona fj45. I also need to address rusty floorboards in the 45, and a total brake job...oh yeah, new fenders, and re-wire. I have many years worth of parts in my attic over the shop, and with the 1000. fj 40 parts rig, I should be able to keep expenses down to a reasonable level. Yeah, Right.
Try here for posting pics.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com-help-corner/47248-posting-photos-irfanview.html

On the 55 series I'm pretty much just tearing it apart and cataloging everything, carefully determining what needs to be ordered and what can be salvaged, plus I'm getting the exact number of bolts & hardware required for my bulk stainless purchase :D

The 40 needs an oil change & grease, attention to the rain gutters to seal them better, small de-rusting job, and I am going to try to tighten up the steering. Also, install my safari roof rack and greasable shackles for the rear suspension (front is already done). Hopefully I can do this during the first part of spring break, because during the second half I need to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets on my Buick's 3800 Series II engine. Mechanic told me 5 hour job, but he knows what he's doing so for me - :eek:

Good luck to all!!
Brian

Hi All:

Bump! :D

Come on, are all you other guys just spending time in "Chat" instead of the garage? :grinpimp:

Regards,

Alan

I just fabbed up mounts for rock lights on the corners of my 40. Next is wiring the switches, rear line lock, new CB, and fab up new air bag mounts so i can adjust my ride height according to how heavy the load is that i'm haulin'. (The bags are also my bump stops that my 1/4 elipse set up rides on). Then wheel it hard for the season starting Superbowl weekend in MOAB.

Hello Alan,
NO winter in Malaysia.
BUT I did remove the hardtop.
Did metal work on 2 door panels and ambulance doors as NOT to
destroy the originals. More metal work on front roll cage. Customized
softtop/canopy and re-sprayed the panels using 2hp compressor and
China produced spray guns....

Pics below show before and after....
Happy viewing.

HardTon1.jpg

HardToff1.jpg

HardToff2.jpg

regards,
HelimanBD

Hi All:

Bump! :D

Come on, are all you other guys just spending time in "Chat" instead of the garage? :grinpimp:

Regards,

Alan
HardTon1.jpg
HardToff1.jpg
HardToff2.jpg

I have a pile parts for my Cruisers, just need to buckle down and get them installed.
I've been trying to get my new to me 73 FJ40 running well, on the list for this season:
Install electronic ignition
Do the front disc swap
Install new wiring harness
Build new bumper
Replace and rebuild all the little stuff to get it road ready
I am having Wally/Poor Wallys Cruiser Emporium build a new tub for the rig as well so I'm very excited about that.

The 79 FJ40:
Install new Alcan springs
Install new 4:11 3rds, w/ARB in the rear diff
finish up bumper
send carb and distributor out for rebuild/refresh
finish rebuilding power steering box

I have had a busy winter, Upgraded my mini steering to Saginaw, upgraded the mini disc to vented rotors and rebuilt the knuckles, added arb air lockers front and rear, put in the stereo and cb radio and an amature radio, last for this year is the 30 spline longfields and a tube skid plate like Poser builds, I covet that every day, cheers, Larry

For my 77 Fj40 I am doing the saginaw power steering conversion which I am still gathering parts for, 4.88 gears, installing a new clutch (almost done), putting truck bed liner inside the tub, longer travel front driveshaft, clean/paint chassis and axles with body still on, install rear tire carrier, sand/re-paint dash, minitruck steering knuckles and trail gear hysteer. I got to get my ass in gear and get all this done! Spring comes quick!

So far this winter on the '77:

Replaced intake/header gasket
rebuilt the knuckles up front

Still working on replacing all the tie rod ends (will finish this weekend)

Need to fix a leak in the exhaust pipe

I'm slowly buffing scratches out of the paint. :D
I might install some axles, wheels, and other stuff if I have time left.
Next year I'm doing one of those hard-core builds (half-doors, tailgate, trail cover, etc). :cool:
zpfile000.jpeg

Last edited:
Whatrrrrrya talking about? It's summer. Winter's too far away to worry about now.

I'm drinking ice-cold Becks beer to keep cool.

:D

so far , cut rusty bolts off to get the front bumper off. Cleaned up front frame area and ordered new bumper. POR ed the floor pans . Cleaned and banged out my damaged hood the best it can. Working on installing CCOT leveler block. Cant wait to pick up some air tools this weekend and should help make quick work of some of this stuff.

Just trying to finish this before 2-16 (Calico Cleanup)
Sully 129_small.jpg

I'm slowly buffing scratches out of the paint. :D
I might install some axles, wheels, and other stuff if I have time left.
Next year I'm doing one of those hard-core builds (half-doors, tailgate, trail cover, etc). :cool:

Your funny. I wish.

Hi All:

"Heliman," the truck looks great!

I'm sorry I was not able to come visit Malaysia when I was in S'pore last year.

Enjoy the warm weather - it is *cold* here right now! :D

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------
Hello Alan,
NO winter in Malaysia.
BUT I did remove the hardtop.
Did metal work on 2 door panels and ambulance doors as NOT to
destroy the originals. More metal work on front roll cage. Customized
softtop/canopy and re-sprayed the panels using 2hp compressor and
China produced spray guns....

Pics below show before and after....
Happy viewing.

View attachment 205301

View attachment 205302

View attachment 205303

regards,
HelimanBD

Hi All:

"Gus," man, you got a lot in store for these two rigs!

Better get busy! :grinpimp:

Best of luck with the projects!

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------
I have a pile parts for my Cruisers, just need to buckle down and get them installed.
I've been trying to get my new to me 73 FJ40 running well, on the list for this season:
Install electronic ignition
Do the front disc swap
Install new wiring harness
Build new bumper
Replace and rebuild all the little stuff to get it road ready
I am having Wally/Poor Wallys Cruiser Emporium build a new tub for the rig as well so I'm very excited about that.

The 79 FJ40:
Install new Alcan springs
Install new 4:11 3rds, w/ARB in the rear diff
finish up bumper
send carb and distributor out for rebuild/refresh
finish rebuilding power steering box

Hi All:

Damn Larry, you are *busy* with that rig! :D

Come on out to Wa. State this summer and we can take you 'wheeling!

Regards,

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------
I have had a busy winter, Upgraded my mini steering to Saginaw, upgraded the mini disc to vented rotors and rebuilt the knuckles, added arb air lockers front and rear, put in the stereo and cb radio and an amature radio, last for this year is the 30 spline longfields and a tube skid plate like Poser builds, I covet that every day, cheers, Larry

Hi All:

Man, you are busy too!

What parts are you still looking for to do the Saginaw PS swap?

Regards,

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------
For my 77 Fj40 I am doing the saginaw power steering conversion which I am still gathering parts for, 4.88 gears, installing a new clutch (almost done), putting truck bed liner inside the tub, longer travel front driveshaft, clean/paint chassis and axles with body still on, install rear tire carrier, sand/re-paint dash, minitruck steering knuckles and trail gear hysteer. I got to get my ass in gear and get all this done! Spring comes quick!

Hi All:

"Maddox," where is the leak in your exhaust?

Good luck with the TREs - should not be a problem.

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far this winter on the '77:

Replaced intake/header gasket
rebuilt the knuckles up front

Still working on replacing all the tie rod ends (will finish this weekend)

Need to fix a leak in the exhaust pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom