Zane’s ‘97 LX450 build - Project Utah Desert Yeti (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shoutout to @Box Rocket on all the advice he’s given to me this past year.

After researching the ‘legends’ of off-roading it was an easy choice between an 80 and older 4runner, so I picked this up for $5000 July 2020 with 206,xxx miles. Cashmere Beige. Non-locked (no front or rear lockers). All stock. Frame in great condition with very minimal rust. Someone had previously installed LEDs into the stock headlight housings- That was the only ‘mod’ on it.

Had all of the common 80 issues:
Multiple oil leaks. Bad door sensors. Floppy rear view mirror. Floppy side mirrors. Floppy sun visors. Front seats completely thrashed with electric gears sheared. No ‘D’ light on the dash. E-brake basically worthless. Fume pressure blowback from fuel cap. Clear coat excessively peeling on the majority of the hood and some on the tops of the front side fenders. Windows roll up slower than snails on peanut butter, and the driver side window shifts forward off the main track. Steering wheel leather deteriorating. Front seat belt worn and need replaced. All rubber everywhere deteriorating inside and out.
Overall a turd. And for all of my friends and family unfamiliar with the 80 series, to them it was just an old soccer mom turd compared to my ‘13 Tacoma Off-Road with manual trans..
To make things even more humorous - by no means am I skilled mechanic, so I’ve needed a lot of help on this.

The first thing I did was remove the second and third rows of seats to make sure it would be the camper/sleeper that I was envisioning.
The first ‘minor’ issue that got me worried was it getting stuck in Drive, could not shift to park, and after investigation in the undercarriage the shift linkage fell apart at the transmission. Replaced some nuts and washers and it was good to go. Thanks to SolveFunction Solvefunction - Offroad and Landcruiser parts - https://solvefunction.com/ and BH3D Printing BH3D Printing - http://www.bh3dprinting.com/
Gamiviti seat parts — Gamiviti - http://www.gamiviti.com/seatparts
I got most of the interior issues fixed along with the mirrors.

487771C8-1ACA-4576-A9FB-788F5C75B580.jpeg

08F1B851-B089-4341-ACBE-AEBFEC454964.jpeg

A8CD910B-743C-4517-8313-2DF3678899D8.jpeg

3F94B1A0-0BB4-428D-ADA9-2F41D6E7B237.jpeg

Last edited:
Things not aforementioned:
the previous owner had the transmission replaced due to an overheating issue at a shop in Boise that I can’t recall, 10,xxx miles before the sale. Also there was some kind of tow package installed with air lines that ran from mounts on top of the rear bumper to red air bags inside the rear shocks. It also appears that the radiator had been replaced with OEM along with the radiator hoses in recent years.
The next thing I did was the throw the aftermarket 17” wheels and 33” tires on it that came off my ‘13 Tacoma, which happened to match nicely imo.
American Racing AR202 (matte bronze, black lip)
Specs - Size: 17x9
Bolt pattern: 6x139.70
Backspace: 4.53
Offset: -12mm
Bore: 106.25
Tires: Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws P285/70R17

After taking it on a roadtrip/camping trip across Nebo loop and Maple Canyon on an easy trail and getting a feel for the interior sleeping space with my golden retriever, I was satisfied with the potential. But after a trip across Hurrah Pass in Moab, I decided aftermarket suspension was more than needed, especially after watching my mom *pretend* to enjoy the trip but was in reality visibly uncomfortable. She was visiting from out of state and I wanted to leave a good impression of Utah.
..that’s when it all went downhill :flush:
I started digging into upgrades in iH8mud and 80 series FB groups and saw Adam Tolman’s 80, quickly found out about Slinky Stage 4 (which was out of stock the majority of 2020), and the fantasies began. After my patience ran out and I couldn’t wait for the Slinky kit any longer, I purchased the Ironman 2” Foam Cell Pro Performance Load 0-440lbs as a temporary fix. The only thing we had to do was shave the stock radius arms down a bit for clearance.

With my newly installed 2” Ironman kit I took it to American Fork canyon and with some motivation from a friend to attempt a trail that I was second guessing and I smacked my front catalytic converter on a rock, breaking the seal between the two cats— the exhaust becoming a pathetic dry fart sounding lawn mower. At this point, ‘budget build’ was no longer in my dictionary, with the objective of acquiring a Slinky Kit and everything it takes to fit 37” tires.

The parts stockpile and build has been accumulating ever since..
D82A85D3-6623-4AA4-9F85-A2ADADCFF552.jpeg

8C5F401B-BC49-4CE9-8C74-CCF26EC6AA70.jpeg

88A1EE22-1E5D-445F-A0AB-68A0E452CDC6.jpeg

50C043E9-4321-4914-BA9E-E58B91D66563.jpeg

3F6EBAF8-DD56-42CE-90A2-C745A64634BF.jpeg

Last edited:
That leads to today, currently still in my friend’s shop (KCM 4x4) as I never stop finding more things to install. I could break every part of this build down into more topics, but I want to keep the story short, so here’s how it sits with the work in the new exhaust and most of the work in the engine bay complete, onto the differentials and front axle mods.
To assure myself that I won’t get stranded on a trail for the next 20 years, and *almost* have no regrets of should’ve/would’ve/could’ve while-I-was-in-there.. Here’s the build list:

Coastal Offroad front & rear bumpers and sliders

Custom exhaust rebuilt from cat back over the frame, single magnaflow cat and muffler

Rampt Tech- diff truss kit, knuckle gusset kit, steering box plate kit w/ panhard gussets

555 Tie Rod End kit

ARP hub studs

Nitro Chromoly front axle shafts

TrailGear SuperMetal Knuckle Studs

Wit’s End nut huggers x4

NitroGear 4.88 gears

ARB diff breathers

Front ARB locker

Rear TJM Pro Locker

TJM HD vehicle mount compressor

Slee compressor mount

Spidertrax 1.5” wheel spacers

AmericanRacing AR202 bronze 17” wheels

ProComp Xtreme MT2 tires 37/12.5r17

LankTank’s DC Front Driveshaft

Blackhawk Front Radius Arms

Landtank extended rear LCAs

Deltavs Rear Panhard Lift Bracket

Slinky Stage 4 (heavy) suspension kit

Timbren active off-road bump stops

CDL switch w/ 7pin mod

Wits End OEM locker dial kit

Deltavs- Switch pros 9100 mount w terminal block kit and switch pros 9100

Aurora 40” Single Row Slim NSSR Series LED light bar

Bowfin Roof rack with 40” cutout

(2) Aurora R-Series 7-9 Round 7” Inch Light Side Shooter Laser Edition

Landtank’s modified blue hub fan clutch

Bosch 4 hole Fuel Injectors from CruiserParts

105 sector shaft upgrade (copied from Wit’s End due to being stock out at that time)
*Steering box rebuild by RedHead Steering Gears

Advics Brake master cylinder

Seiken Brake Booster

Gates power steering high pressure hose kit

Power steering cooler upgrade and hose kit (Derale 14” dual pass cooler) (copied from Wit’s End kit due to being stock out at that time)

Power steering low pressure hoses (Continental’s ‘ContraTech’ 3/8” & 5/8” rated for 300psi)

Chase Bays triple baffled Power steering reservoir

VC120 charcoal vapor canister

OEM Heater control valve assy (sourced from Toyota)

OEM Fuel filter (sourced from Toyota)

OEM Oil pressure sender (sourced from Toyota)

Sourced from Wit’s End (absolute-wits-end.com):

OEM Starter Rebuild

PHH Kit (pesky heater hose)

Complete Belt kit (OEM AC & Alternator belt)

Complete Tuneup Kit (OEM Distributor cap, Distributor cap gasket, Distributor rotor, Spark plug wire set, spark plugs)

Fuel Injection Kit (OEM Injector insulators, Grommets, ORings, Intake manifold gasket no.1 and no.2, Throttle body gasket)

Oil Pump Leak Kit (OEM Oil Pump Cover o-ring, Distributor o-ring, Front engine seal, Oil level sensor gasket)

Valve Cover Leak Kit (OEM valve cover gasket, OEM throttle body gasket, OEM spark plug tube seals)

Power Steering Pump Rebuild (OEM Power steering pump gasket kit, O-ring, High pressure gasket, Nachi bearing (6203-2nse9)

OEM vacuum hoses 3.5mm

OEM Brake vacuum hose kit (Brake booster check valve, Check valve grommet, Brake booster vacuum hose)

OEM Engine little hose kit (x4 hoses)

PCV valve kit (OEM Valve cover vent hose #1 and #2, Clips for hoses, PCV valve, PCV grommet)

OEM Thermostat and bypass o-ring

OEM motor Mount

OEM Steering shaft firewall seal

Curved heater hose kit (OEM heater hose inlet, OEM heater hose outlet A & B)

Rear heater delete hose kit (GATES Green Strip 5/8" heater hose, OEM hose -60420)

Magnetic Diff plugs & magnetic T case/Trans plug kit

To be continued:

D323A6A0-C822-478E-8DE1-31F9F1A7A513.jpeg

70791012-A707-4A60-9C25-907FF654A308.jpeg

43D03463-4FC2-41EE-9C90-C44FF9629A7A.jpeg

F2777922-79E0-4A10-AB85-19A930397E4E.jpeg

D1291262-A061-404B-826B-3690E98E6014.jpeg

thank you @NLXTACY and @landtank for sharing your ingenuity with the rest of us

Last edited:
Not mentioned: added HuddExpo EGR test/delete.
Having armor built for front and rear diffs.
Looking into LandCruiserPhil’s Sway Bar Disconnects, if not available will have my own fab’d. Also working out a sleeper platform on top of the wheel wells to have my gear stowed safely underneath.
Looking hard at adding a HarborFreight Badlands Apex winch, but I know I’ll have to upgrade my battery situation.
Looking into undercarriage armor for Tcase, gearbox, etc.
I’m worried about the stopping power running 37s. Under the cab we’re tearing out the whole braking system to get replaced, then we’ll test it for improvement. If braking isn’t improved I’ll look into aftermarket brake rotors/pads and possibly deleting the ABS and LSPV.

Things I’m not going to fix right now but will in future:
Upper oil pan seal leak
replace oem front seats with scheel-man seats
On the fence about a snorkel install
Replace all window rubber guides, door seals, rear hatch seal, exterior mouldings
Buy every-damn-thing possible from @Delta VS

The end game is to run the engine until the head gasket blows. From there I will either rebuild the engine and add the Wit’s End Turbo kit or LS swap.

CAEE9F1C-22A8-4FCE-9E3D-FFF2DE37BFBA.jpeg

View attachment 2750539

FDEEED54-1919-4D92-94D5-D36D5F0CCEE0.jpeg

BFB0520F-4C84-41E5-BB98-BE3D0E065C0E.jpeg

71AA56DA-4B5C-4EC9-A25F-31D9BF90DBC4.jpeg

C87904CE-C903-486B-8FB1-8A5CA2FFFBFE.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s in the plans to get the hood sanded, primed, then wrapped. Aftermarket hoods cannot be sourced and new OEM is $600+

This is the wrap design I’m going to copy (this is not my RTT)

9D97BE76-3348-4730-87E3-E8F16237D564.jpeg

5A960B19-A8CF-4C73-9CE6-31BA1217684B.jpeg

26C1F1C3-1FC5-4CD8-AD55-6B49B833A03B.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple extras I’m stoked for:
TJM Heavy Duty vehicle mount compressor
multiple tyre inflation points, 6 auxiliary ports, pressure cut-out switch, a high flow rate of 86 L/min and a 100% Duty Cycle @ 80psi

TJM released their new dual compressor right after I purchased this :censor:, but it’s still solid and outperforms ARB’s equivalent single compressor (don’t believe me? Check YouTube :smokin:)
It will have no problems engaging both of my air lockers and will air up tires faster than any other compressor it’s size, because it beats ARB’s, enough said.

Aurora R-Series 7” Inch Light Side Shooter Laser Edition (sold in pair) Off Brand Aurora LED Lighting - http://offbrandproducts.com/ owned and operated by Matthew Bernard

-22,116 lumens
LED Chip: Osram 5-Watt (x40 chips)
Beam Pattern: Combination (Spot & Flood Optics)
Color Temperature: 6000K
Material: 6063 Aluminum Housing
Ingress Rating: IP69
LENS: GE Lexan
Side shooters
4 Osram LED chips each side 5-Watt (8 total per unit)
180 degree beam spread
Center laser light
5200K, narrow 1.5 degrees
Light distance: 6500 feet (2,000 meters)

6D1DA618-041F-47C3-AF1B-A92C161DA6CC.jpeg

92B5684D-E3E8-4E88-81D9-50748D84692E.jpeg

Last edited:
Digging it!

Started
Where’d you get the slinky stage 4? Btw, this escalated really quickly. Nice work!
By luck in late Nov ‘20 I was able to snag an order off of Millcreek’s website.
I owe a lot to the help I’ve gotten on this, I’ve just been maintaining the steady flow of parts for the most part.

Started

By luck in late Nov ‘20 I was able to snag an order off of Millcreek’s website.
I owe a lot to the help I’ve gotten on this, I’ve just been maintaining the steady flow of parts for the most part.
Nice snag man. I settled for the stage 1. I’ll have to wait until vendor #69 to get my stage 4

@wahweap what is the full p/n on that oem heater hose for the rear delete?

Gotta see this in person, where in ut are you?

seems we are parallel in vehicles, build list parts and time frame...my Slinkys are somewhere sleeping in a container, but was told to hit the U.S. in two weeks. I am curious as to the bags in coils, too much weight alreasdy? or just projected weight?

Last edited:
seems we are parallel in vehicles, build list parts and time frame...my Slinkys are somewhere sleeping in a container, but was told to hit the U.S. in two weeks. I am curious as to the bags in coils, too much weight alreasdy? or just projected weight?
The bags were already on the vehicle when I bought it, and left them there for a ‘just in case’ scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom