Yummie ....... 80 High Steer setup from Frontrange! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
IMG_1299.JPG
We finally got our first set, have been waiting for these since last year.

Should be a fun build .....

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

$exy!

Would love to see pics after install.

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Need something for the front of my FJ60.

Subscribing!

@MountNGoat ?

We are going with upgraded brakes.

At this point we're still collecting parts but once everything is here I'll start a build thread.

;)

Are these going to be six-stud knuckles when they are all finished? Recently discovered this mod and kinda curious about it. Would you get any benefit from it on a top mounted arm setup? Is this going to be a 3-link when it's finished?

1) No. These are 4-stud knuckles. They keyed knuckles & arms eliminate the need for the extra 2 studs.
2) These are High Steer knuckles and arms; so the arms are mounted on top of the knuckles. Hence the title of this thread ...
3) This particular set will be installed onto a Diamond Axle custom front axle housing into an FJ60 using the original FJ60 third member.
4) Yes we're going to build a custom link suspension as well.

Last edited:
Do you know the brakes yet?
Is there a wheel size this owner is trying to stay with?

Are these friendly for Tundra calipers?
-I'd almost rationalize on that alone-

From the website.. Front Range Off Road

Front Range Offroad offers a must have kit for any FJ80 steering housing. Finally giving you a Hi-Steer option with a brake upgrade! Front Range Offroad has also machined in keyed steering, a stronger steering option that puts very little force on the knuckle studs and instead puts the majority of the turning force on the knuckle itself.
These knuckles are FULLY MACHINED for a stronger knuckle.

Each set gives you an option to run BIGGER brakes without any conversion ring its all built into the knuckle! Run Tundra brakes, CURRENT model 4runner and Tacoma brakes on your FJ80 Axle!

This Kit includes

• Pair of Machined Front Range Offroad Knuckles (left and right)
  • A pair of KEYED steering arms
  • 17mm pins

WE ALSO OFFER OVERSIZED BEARINGS, 25mm pins with Koyo bearings!

I think I would run these just for the caliper upgrade.. I would not use the high steer option. Akerman angle is a good thing IMO

I think I would run these just for the caliper upgrade.. I would not use the high steer option. Akerman angle is a good thing IMO

Why do you think high steer implies Ackerman is ignored?

Do you know the brakes yet?
Is there a wheel size this owner is trying to stay with?

Are these friendly for Tundra calipers?
-I'd almost rationalize on that alone-
48mm pistons instead of 45mm. Youll get a mushier pedal.

High steer is for people who want to push these rigs to the limit, it can be more durable when using over sized tires and provides better drag link and tie rod angles/clearance for a lifted vehicle.
Akerman is ignored because it is expensive to implement and can limit turning radius, it also has to have the tie rod behind the axle to achieve the correct angles, plus the evil tire manufactures dont like it because it lessens tire wear (scrubbing and cupping) by a considerable degree.
Which is why I like it! tires are expensive!!!
Also correct Akerman angle provides much better traction ( ie no scrubbing) especially in winter conditions!

You may have to swap your master cylinder to a T-100 one ton if the bore is not the same, this would correct the possible "mushy" feeling or lack of hydraulic ratio. I know the brakes on my Tundra are sweet and would love to have the same on my 80!

Last edited:
Here is a link to master cylinder/brake booster specs:

Brake Master Cylinder and Brake Booster Specs for Toyota 4x4s | Roundforge

There are lots of 3rd gen 4runner folks running Tundra calipers and rotors with a 1" MC (just like the 80 has), as it is a very common upgrade. Read more:

Hard to find Specs, Info & Measurements on 231mm 13WL Tundra Calipers & Rotors - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Also lots of mini truck folks running the Tundra brakes with 80 series MC with the FROR brackets that have been on the market for a few years.

I believe the Tundra brakes FROR intends for use are indeed the first gen Tundra 13WL or 13WE calipers (13WL being 231mm vs 13WE 199mm). His mini truck brake upgrade kit has been out for a while and this is the case for that particular bracket. With slight modifications the mini truck bracket (and these FROR 80 knuckles) can run the current model 4runner/FJ cruiser brakes (as mentioned in the marketing piece). I don't think you'll have anything to worry about as far as the MC/booster goes. Perhaps a slightly different pedal feel but nothing to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom