Yet another brake thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Yes, I have read quite a few threads on brakes, but in the end I wasn't clear.

The brakes on my 60 are near toast. I hate how they behave. As someone said in one of the threads, I couldn't lock up the tires if my life depended on it. I want more power at the pedal. Is replacing the booster unit the biggest bang for the buck. I read quite a few never ending arguments on whether or not a larger master cylinder actually makes any difference. While they are replace the front brakes, it it worth replacing the calipers? From what I read, it didn't seem like anyone saw any substantial results from doing that.

Is there anything else I should be considering while I'm in there?

Here's what I've found so far

Booster: 80 series?, T100?
MC: 80 series landCruiser or T100 truck (Non ABS?) (T100 has molded fluid sensor)
Calipers: Marlin? 4runner? (trim dust shield)
Rotors:?
Backing plate eliminator:?
inline residual valve?

Last edited:
In my opinion the fj60 has good brakes. A couple things that can make a difference in making the stock brakes better: Machine the front rotors smooth and replace with new pads. A on-the-car lathe does best at machining the rotors generally. Just make sure your wheel bearings are tight before this is done. Machine the rear drums and replace the shoes. Machined surfaces and new pads and shoes can make a huge difference. Lube the front and rear brakes wherever the pads or shoes need to slide so that they can slide and return to their resting position smoothly. Take the rear self adjusters apart, clean them up, and lube the threads with sil glide. Install new hardware springs on the rear brakes, rock auto has good deals on these. Take apart and lube the parking brake cam levers with sil glide so that they move freely. Probably a good idea to replace the master as it is likely old. Properly adjust the rear brakes so their is no drag, but yet still not too much as this will increase pedal travel until the self adjusters do their job.
When brakes are old and the rotors and drums are scored, brake performance will be diminished, so saying your old worn brakes don't stop well doesn't really mean the fj60 has badly designed brakes. They are probably just wore out and need to be fixed.

As an example, my fj40 has the stock transfercase drum parking brake, it never really held my 40 very well. Lots of people on the forums said they weren't really happy with theirs either. One day I decided to see if I could get the funky drum mounted up on the lathe. I figured a way to do it-pretty easily actually, machined it so that it was nice and smooth which it probably hasn't been for 35 years, installed new shoes, adjusted it, and it holds great.

Last edited:
Ya, my 40 has a stock setup (with a 80 series booster) and it locks up amazingly. In fact I'd rather it have a little less boost - and perhaps I'll turn the booster down.

But the 60 just has no pedal power - I think the booster isn't performing any more. So I'm going replace that, do the rotors and good pads.

I was just checking to see if calipers were worth it or not - and it seems like they aren't - from what I could read.

I am considering going with the fancy vented Marlin rotors. Should prevent fading compared to stock.

Disconnect the booster and see if you notice a difference. If its a two stage, maybe one stage isn't working(?)

Ya, but is it worth it? Versus just getting high quality pads.

I have found all my Toyotas/Lexus really work best with oem parts. The extra special fancy parts never provided a noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom