Builds Wyoming 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I totally get the bashing. Plus, it’s well deserved. This place is going nuts.
Our timelines to get our rigs running are roughly the same. I’ll stay in touch. Going to be fun!
Hey fellow Jacsonites! I acquired a Blue Troopy earlier this year. Would be fun to grab a beer sometime. Wave or say hi if you see me. Blue Troopy with tan top.

Hey fellow Jacsonites! I acquired a Blue Troopy earlier this year. Would be fun to grab a beer sometime. Wave or say hi if you see me. Blue Troopy with tan top.
You know I’ll be on the lookout for a troopy now! Not many of those in our corner of WY.

I bought some new stainless bolts from CCOT for all of these exterior parts. But their heads are 13mm instead of 12 and they are shallower. My OCD couldn’t handle the 13mm when everything on the rig is 10, 12, 14, 17 etc. I ordered some Overland Metric OEM style bolts in various sizes. Much better. 😂
IMG_2836.jpeg

IMG_2835.jpeg

Last edited:
Tapped some threads into the roll bar, fished some wiring through it and installed a rigid dome light. Was going to do one front and rear but I installed just one in my 55 and it was plenty of light. Will likely be controlled by a switch panel. Considering putting OEM dome lights in the top on a pressure switch with the doors. We’ll see.

IMG_2838.jpeg

Rubber grommet on exit and about 6” lead with waterproof connector so the bar can be removed if needed.

IMG_2816.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a great fathers day gift from my 15 yo son. We've never talked about this, but he said he was tired of never being able to find the 10mm socket when we're working on the cruisers together. So he got me a set of 10 variations of 10mm sockets. A gift for him as much as me I guess. I love it.

sockets.jpg

Gutters cleaned out, resealed and fresh coat of Cygnus white applied.

IMG-2667.jpg

Work continues on the OEM Headliner. Draw backs of living in a the boonies - I bought all of the higher quality 3m adhesive available at any store in town. Perimeter of the headliner has to wait until I can get another can shipped to me. I'll need to trim the headliner some, not looking forward to those back corners on the curve. Anyone have any tips?

IMG-2898.jpg

IMG-2903.jpg

IMG-2904.jpg

Tapped some threads into the roll bar, fished some wiring through it and installed a rigid dome light. Was going to do one front and rear but I installed just one in my 55 and it was plenty of light. Will likely be controlled by a switch panel. Considering putting OEM dome lights in the top on a pressure switch with the doors. We’ll see.

View attachment 3345125

Rubber grommet on exit and about 6” lead with waterproof connector so the bar can be removed if needed.

View attachment 3345127

Oooh, good idea on the connector

Anyone have any tips?

Do the best you can, and know that you will be the only person who knows or cares that its not perfect in the corners.

Resto looks great, such a cool story and history with the truck.

Who did you have do the widening on the wheels?

Do the best you can, and know that you will be the only person who knows or cares that its not perfect in the corners.

Resto looks great, such a cool story and history with the truck.

Who did you have do the widening on the wheels?
lol, thanks. Hopefully it turns out well enough.

When I restored my 55 I had Stockton Wheel in CA widen a set for me. They did a great job, but they went out of business apparently. I sent these off to Bill's Welding in SC - someone on the forum recommended them. Stockton replaced the entire outer ring. Bill's cut the wheel and welded in a strip of steel to the desired width. Having had both, I like the way Stockton did it better. But both look great.

Truck looks great so far!

lol, thanks. Hopefully it turns out well enough.

When I restored my 55 I had Stockton Wheel in CA widen a set for me. They did a great job, but they went out of business apparently. I sent these off to Bill's Welding in SC - someone on the forum recommended them. Stockton replaced the entire outer ring. Bill's cut the wheel and welded in a strip of steel to the desired width. Having had both, I like the way Stockton did it better. But both look great.

There's another outfit in Camarillo, CA that will do it - I will have to dig for the name. They would cut the center and rebarrel.

Truck looks great so far!

There's another outfit in Camarillo, CA that will do it - I will have to dig for the name. They would cut the center and rebarrel.
Yeah let me know if you find that info. There is a good chance I’ll be doing this again on another cruiser 😂

Almost got my 40 started the other day:

- Added fuel to the tank and found I forgot to tighten the drain plug when I restored the tank. Lost some Fuel
- Added coolant to the radiator. Found there was a plug in the engine block not tightened. Lost some coolant.
- Turned over the motor, pressure built in the system and a rubber cap blew off the sniper. I forgot to install a threaded plug. Fuel spewed everywhere.

It was then I was glad my little girl out helping me is not a smoker 😂

I was having one of those days. I have been going through everything to double check things are tight before I start it up again. In the process I found my fusible link was toast. Ordered a new one from @Coolerman. Hoping to get her going this weekend.

I don't mind this view when I get home from work, but I'd like to be driving the 40 instead.
IMG-3120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom