WTF?!? Oil leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm out of town and son says truck making noise. Sent these pics. Looks like oil leaking? What could this be?

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

If he hasn't determined what it is that's leaking, has he checked the fluid and reservoir levels? Leaks will spread on those covers making it hard to tell where it's coming from just based on those pics. Also, what kind of noise?

The skid plate is trying to fall off. Maybe something impacted the oil pan?

Or perhaps a leaking steering rack?

Red, black, or clear?

Your mid skid plate is falling off, remove it. No biggy. I left mine off.
Doubtful it's the front diff, but it is possible. If he took it two tracking and hit a rock or log and ripped off the skid plate and cracked the front diff...
Or the front diff could have blown a seal.
There are transmission cooler lines that run to the radiator and sit on top of the front cross member, they are metal, switch to rubber for the bend, mine were leaking. Cut off the bad rubber ends and reattached. But the underside of my truck looked kinda like yours, only red.
My point is, if your transmission fluid is in dire need of changing it can be black.

IMG_0882.JPG

You need to remove the front skid plate to repair them. But you can inspect them with only lowering it.

Remove the skid plate, clean engine/underside with degreaser and then check to see where it originates from. Use a flash light so you can see around the engine better.

Shower thought...bear with me, while shallow my shower thoughts are complicated, the joys of having ADHD.

The access hole for the engine oil drain plug is in the middle of the mid skid plate, there could have been residual waste oil that had collected on the mid plate.
The bolts that hold the mid plate on rusted and broke, mine did.
That oil then spread around, 1oz of oil can look like a qt of oil when spread out, especially when on something porous like plastic.
The noise your son is hearing is the mid plate bending down with the wind from driving, once it reaches the bottom of its travel it springs back up and hits the bottom of the truck, then of course repeats as he drives.
So, you may not have a oil leak at all.
Remove mid plate, check trans, transfer case and front diff fluid levels.

Remove the skid plate, clean engine/underside with degreaser and then check to see where it originates from. Use a flash light so you can see around the engine better.

Bingo!

I don't see the diff. That looks like the tranny and it looks clean. Sorry if I'm missing it...

No. Your front diff is fine. Its not the rack and pinion either as your fluid level is fine.
It's must like I said earlier.
Spray degreaser on the whole area leaving the mis skid plate off, then run it through the full service carwash, get a underbody wash too, then look again.
But it's what I said.
Post a pic of the mid skid plate.

Did you ever figure out what was leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom