Wrecked my Cruiser today- seeking advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really sad day today. Must have hit some black ice on the freeway and smashed into the wall going 65mph this morning. I will potentially get another, but not sure if or when. The engine was largely rebuilt 30k miles ago and there are some nice accessories that are still good. I don’t have anywhere to keep it to part it out. What would do if you were me? Try to sell it to a Toyota junk yard? Any other options really? Thanks!

View attachment 2585008

View attachment 2585009

View attachment 2585010
Sorry to see this. You in Colorado by chance?

Id look for a friend with some backyard space/garage space that wouldnt mind for a few weeks or find a storage unit place you like and put it there a month if you need to. I would think thats 150 bucks tops. might could even get a covered, door lockable unit for that price in some areas.
If you arent up for swapping the good drivetrain to another truck that would give you 30 days to find a buyer.

Sorry to see that.

It isn't kind of totaled....its WAY totaled. Those advising a 'fix' would be surprised the cost to fix (if even possible) when you smash the front end like that. There are couple of people on the forum that buy entire cruisers for salvage parts.

Whatever you end up with to replace it.....SLOW DOWN. I know you live in an area where you have snow and ice and probably know how to drive on it. But even when the roads LOOK clear....they aren't necessarily.

Thankfully you weren't hurt and didn't take anybody out with you.

By the pictures i would say that frame and front end are done. But if you had another vehicle similar year you can fairly quickly swap all the good interior items, and your upgrades. It's harder to swap engines but that can be done too. I think you have to decide if you are getting another one or not and if you are going to rent some space or borrow space to do the work. If that is what you want then you can figure out the insurance from some of the ideas already posted. Everyone here is going to think from a perspective of staying in an 80, but if it isn't your thing anymore someone might be able to make it's parts live in another one in a way that doesn't leave you with as much of a loss. Over all you are ok and that alone makes it a win.

With the prices of 80 series continuing to climb, you might be able to get it repaired through insurance.

If you do go the insurance route, plan on at least a month of negotiations. I totaled my 91 back in June of 2020. After much back and forth I more than tripled the original offer from the insurance company. It was over $10,000.00

Take your time with the insurance and don't rollover. Take it to a reputable body shop for repairs, the longer it sits in a shop while you negotiate the more likely the insurance company will be fair. After a month the storage fees will start to add up and the insurance pays those fees also.

In my case it seemed like what worked best were lines like, "I just want my truck fixed and returned it its previous condition" or replace it with a rust free truck with the same upgrades". I went to the body shop where my rig was stored and took photos of everything aftermarket down to the seat covers and sent them to the insurance. I told them to make it right or pound sound in court.

Goodluck

What about these guys? They seem to have a few frames and front end you could put together. Looks like they are in Utah so might work? 🤔

Hard to tell by pictures if frame or anything else is done, you’ll be amazed at what a good bodyman can fix. If I were in your shoes, I’d find a small bodyshop (you can talk to owner) and see what they can do, if you don’t have the funds you can talk to them about payment arrangements.

Sorry to hear. Do you have space to park/store it and try to sell? ( I know you said you didnt have space to part it out) If you don't have space to part it out, and it is damaged to the point where its not worth having a shop fix, then your options are probably either grab a few of the bits off it and get what you can if you have coverage. If no coverage, then you are most likely in ballpark of finding a place to store temporarily and selling it to someone for parts. Suppose another option would be to find another 80 with a good body/frame and dead engine and take both to a shop to have them swapped out.

I guess lots of it depends on if you have storage space, how much time you have to deal with it and how much money you have/if you want another 80 series.

Tons of 80's on the front range so I feel like selling to someone for the parts may be a quick option. If it still runs (even for short amount of time as I assume rad is totally damaged and you'd have to remove fan) may help with sale value if you can demonstrate that it still runs after the crash. What other specs does it have? If its got locked axles seems like those are going for a fair bit of coin these days and would really help with the resale if you went that route.

good luck!

Do your front doors open and close? If they do find out where your frame is bent and find a donor truck and cut the frame back far enough to where your damage is and have it welded onto your frame. Then just source the front clip and you're good to go.

That's if the motor is still okay. Sorry about your luck and your cruiser but you're still alive and you get to live another day which is the most important thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom