Wrecked my Cruiser today- seeking advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Really sad day today. Must have hit some black ice on the freeway and smashed into the wall going 65mph this morning. I will potentially get another, but not sure if or when. The engine was largely rebuilt 30k miles ago and there are some nice accessories that are still good. I don’t have anywhere to keep it to part it out. What would do if you were me? Try to sell it to a Toyota junk yard? Any other options really? Thanks!

61227B7D-B3F0-4060-AD54-0B589E5FABFC.jpeg

7B839F46-EB50-407C-A1F4-0DFC1EE6A6FC.jpeg

DC19F0B0-B935-4FAF-8468-9CDA955154C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn man. I’d start drinking and not stop until you had a Eureka idea. Someone on here will probably make you an offer.

Truly, have it towed to a yard, take a bunch of pictures then wait for someone to take it off your hands. There are some incredibly talented folks on here that could probably put this back together or turn it into something even greater.

Sorry about your luck!

That's exactly why you don't want the damage multiplier brush guard. If you had a real bullbar or aftermarket bumper there likely would have been much less damage.
I was going 70 and smashed into a cement wall. Airbags went off on impact. I don't think the brush guard made a difference. But I appreciate the comment.

Damn man. I’d start drinking and not stop until you had a Eureka idea. Someone on here will probably make you an offer.

Truly, have it towed to a yard, take a bunch of pictures then wait for someone to take it off your hands. There are some incredibly talented folks on here that could probably put this back together or turn it into something even greater.

Sorry about your luck!
Really appreciate that! I'll see what comes through. Thanks for commenting!

You could find a donor truck with a blown motor to swap into, which aren’t too expensive. Then part out the wrecked truck to help pay for the donor vehicle.

Or you could buy the parts to fix it from the “part out” section of the classifieds.

I’d have a hard time giving up on the truck after you’ve put time and money into the motor and upgrades.

Sorry you hit a patch of bad luck. You’re doing the right thing looking at all your options. Shake it off and give it some time before making a decision.

Last edited:
I would not take it to a yard, you will have to pay a daily storage fee.

That really sucks man, so sorry. But slow down a second, how many miles are on that truck? Engine rebuilt 30k ago? Have receipts? That could be a $20k+ truck. Insurance company may not even total it. They may want to, but its probably worth a lot more than they will want to admit. If you can get them to fix it, THEN HIT THEM FOR DIMINISHED VALUE, you might end up win win winning! Just sayin, take it one step at a time, Ive been through this before.

Getting paid by insurance assumes you carry comprehensive or collision coverage, which the OP didn't say if he had. If you've got liability only then you aren't going to get anything in a single vehicle property damage situation.

I second the finding a place to keep it. There are lots of folks who live in Colorado on the forums so maybe someone will hook you up with storage space for a while. Take a hard look at the frame in the front and see if there is any damage. If it's mainly body panels and radiator etc it may not be horribly expensive to fix it.

Getting paid by insurance assumes you carry comprehensive or collision coverage, which the OP didn't say if he had. If you've got liability only then you aren't going to get anything in a single vehicle property damage situation.

True. And that driver side frame looks like it must be bent back too, so even if...IDK

sorry for your loss.
Hate to say it Frame looks bent to me.

That really sucks man, so sorry. But slow down a second, how many miles are on that truck? Engine rebuilt 30k ago? Have receipts? That could be a $20k+ truck. Insurance company may not even total it. They may want to, but its probably worth a lot more than they will want to admit. If you can get them to fix it, THEN HIT THEM FOR DIMINISHED VALUE, you might end up win win winning! Just sayin, take it one step at a time, Ive been through this before.
Great advice, appreciate that. It is at about 333k now, so it high miles, but awesome shape. You are right that it for sure is worth more than they will admit or certainly more than they will find on KBB

Personally, I’d try to repair it.

if it cannot be repaired and I cannot store it, sell it to another mud member

if you can’t sell it to another mud member, verify the compression and if no leaks, remove the engine, tranny and transfer case and store it until you source another rig. You did smack that wall very hard.
If you have lockers, store them or sell them as that’s a typical $2-3k package. Solid non-lockers, leave them on the truck.

Everyone else* aren't there places that can straighten out bent frames, or is that a terrible option?

I've never done it but I have heard of it...not sure what the limit to damage is, if there's a bend

Have it towed back to your house or a friends place so you do not pay storage on it. If you have collision, negotiate a buy back. I just picked up a 94 that had a small engine fire for a good price. The insurance total lossed it and payed the owner 12k. Show them where you have spend money on it over the years and that will up the value. You can find a doner to swap your good parts to and then sell off the rest.

How mechanical are you? That will play a lot into it. OR take the money and run and put it towards another. Although it would be a shame to let that go to a salvage yard when there are so many members here that would love to own/rebuild/part out that 80.

When I rolled my 4runner I bought it back from the insurance company and pulled all the aftermarket goodies and whatnot that I wanted to keep, then sold the rest of the truck for cheap to someone who needed the drivetrain. Worked out good and I easily broke even if not come out a little ahead money wise. A lot easier to do when you've got space for a project like this. I could not have done that where I live now. Sorry for your loss :( And glad you're OK! :)

If it were a 30mph impact, I'd lean towards rebuilding, but if you hit a wall at 65mph, I very much doubt that things are straight enough for this to be a good option. Even if it looks OK, odds are nothing in the truck will ever line up right again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom