Would a GX460 outlast a T4R? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the mechanics and professional builders out there-

There's lots of talk about how underneath the skin, both trucks share the same components, same platform, and come out of the same Japanese plant.

Engine and transmission differences aside - Is there anything that makes the GX460 a better built truck? Or is the price difference merely reflective of the 6-speed V8/brand/cabin features/luxury gizmos?

I'm not a mechanics and professional builder by any means but I think you would have to determine what you intend your truck to be used for. Since most '460's will never see dirt, they will likely last longer than a 4Runner which is marketed to a more off-road crowd. Plus what do you want lasting longer? The engine/drivetrain or the interior and gadgets? I would imagine the 460's interior finish and trim may suffer more from long term off-road use compared to the 4runner, however since under the skin, both rigs are very similar, they should both keep rolling for a long time.

For what I paid for my 15 GX used ( w serv records) as compared to a similar 4Runner, I would not change my decision for the world. As far as longevity, there are too many variables to that. Maintenance, use/abuse, etc.

You can make the argument that since the GX has more electronics (radar cruise, electric third row, start/stop button vs key, A/C seats, fridge in the center console) then that makes the GX less reliable. More bells n whistles, more bells n whistles to stop working.

It's VERY unlikely the motor or transmission will fail prematurely (sub 300K) on either as long as it's been maintained.

As far as "are the bolts tightened more thoroughly on the GX than the 4Runner?" No. The assembly procedures are identical.

HOWEVER, if you can get a GX for $10K less than a 4Runner (which, is odd, but basically how the market is on used vehicles) that $10K in a piggy bank will go a long way IF any issues pop up. Obviously new vs new, this argument goes out the window.

I agree with all points posted. All things being equal, a used GX460 vs a used 5th Gen 4R with equal trim level (example: highest trim available for both), same year, equal mileage, generally same condition (read, minimal or no dings or scratches on either interior or exterior), I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the GX will be more affordable. One has to remember that the 4R's have quite a reputation and historical background, all grounded in serious off roading. The GX on the other hand has a proud history :rofl: of shuttling children back and forth to school, soccer, swim meets, and Costco. The general population just doesn't think the GX has the "chops" for off roading, which is to your advantage!
One other point, I believe you can get 4R's as either part time 4x4 or all-wheel-drive, depending upon the trim model but both drive trains still come with with low range. The GX's only come with all-wheel-drive, which I prefer. There are often times in slick/snowing/muddy situations when you want all your wheels knowing when to add a little power to which ever wheel is in need without having to stop your vehicle, set the trans in neutral, shift into 4-Hi and then continue on your way. With all-wheel-drive, it's always on! And you always still have the ability to shift into 4-Lo when the need arises.
Just my .02¢

The GX is a Toyota Land Cruiser 150/ Toyota Prado. The GX might have a bit more plastic but from what I have seen ... and I may be wrong the creature comforts and tech in the Toyota models is perhaps more abundant/fancy than in the Lexus. And South America, Africa, OZ, and Russia are filled with these proven vehicles. And they are not as likely to be pampered and doted over like we Americans do ... They aren't filling internet forums with debates about whether to do full synthetic oil changes every 3000 miles or 7500 or 89 vs 91 octane. Many of these places, folks are straining their gasoline through tshirts.

I don't think there are any mechanical reliability weaknesses in either platform for the average owner. These things come from a loooong line of solid proven performance in harsh and low maintenance environments. I'd say, based on my world travels and observations, the GX is more proven in the real world (in it's LC/Prado skin) than the T4R.

But those #$@& seat bolsters ... ! I wish they'd wear better! 😁😬

I do all my own maintenance, aircraft mechanic for 20+ years. I use the cheap Oreilys full synthedic oil every 10k and replace the oil filter every 20k. I‘m the Ahole that still checks the dipstick everytime I fill up.

Bought a new 2013 4runner 4x4 sr5 and it now has over 240k miles on it. Uses 1/4 quart of oil between changes. Factory shocks were crap. Brake pad composition was trash, but they seem to have fixed that. Put a new fuel pump on it, at 200k as a precaution, and my son is driving it 15 miles to collage. Factory new parts are cheaper at mc georges toyota. Replaced the driver’s door check last month. it is the exact same part that is on the GX and both are plastic. Replaced the drivers sunvisor because I was rough with it, man hands and all.. I say a prayer to a voodoo doll of the truck every night hoping it doesnt get hit by a getto sled.

Picked up a 10 year old GX last fall. immediately put it on my 2 post lift and was impressed with what I saw underneath. Only thing I dont like about it was the emissions crap strapped to the v8 and the gas milage (I cant keep my foot out of it). Lexus made their name with over engineered v8s. I drive to a vacation spot every 2-4 weeks and I like cruising around in a recliner. Also I can take a nap as my wife hits every pot hole in the road and it doesn't wake me up.

4runner hands down if we go mad max. Want taller tires? gear it down, the v6 is strong.
Want luxury that has been tuned to perfection? Service costs not an issue? Get a GX

Justin

Last edited:
In this video there is claim that "every" Lexus vehicle built at Tahara is tested on track while only 1 out of 5 Toyota branded are

Start around 7:45 or so

460's outside of North America do have a fuel filter in the engine bay

I imagine the lower HP rating of models outside of NA assume use of lower octane fuel. I've seen 288-292HP ratings.

Non-North American model with fuel filter in engine bay

screen_shot_2018_10_31_at_2_32_58_am_9abb13827cb30d8d68856532300e03b5174389bc.png

The 1GR-FE V6 was used in the "China" only GX 400 from 2012-2017. 1UR-FE was used for 2010-2012 there and GX was discontinued after 2017 model year.

gx400_brochure_page_001_20fe20907c04c27686595cf6ace9f61bccaa4f40.jpg

gx400_brochure_page_002_303dc1e5fa319316a6fafc1834565647a075b705.jpg

lexus_gx_2012_pictures_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Given perfect maintenance history and identically ideal driving conditions - both are very likely to run forever mechanically speaking.

Lexus interior build quality is higher, but also there are more electronic features that can fail. You can't break what you don't have so this one isn't quite fair.

The biggest factor here is going to be the treatment earlier in its life by previous owners. The GX series are hands down way more likely to have been treated very well, and abused very little.

IMO: It really depends on the trim too.

Aside from the exact motor and transmission most items are available in some trim of 4R. The torsen center diff is basically same one used forever in 4th Gen V8 4R, GX 470 and same as one in 5th gen 4R limited.

KDSS is available in 4R....perhaps the 460 headlight configurations over the years and the rare option 10-19 460s with cameras, radar cruise and pre-collision but these are not common models you will find.

3rd row HVAC is more complicated since it cools and heats and power adjustable steering column.

Some like to claim increased reliability of 4R with the 4L/4H stick in some models but it still has an electronically engaged CDL so not sure that really is a major reliability improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
When I went looking for a new 4runner last year I bought one that arrived at the dealer with 3.3 miles on it. Being that the Tahara test track is 3 miles long, I was fairly confident mine had been test driven at Tahara and that made me extra interested in snagging it that day. It drives very smooth like it was dialed in really well. Couldn’t be happier…

Another thing that really surprised me was just how bare bones and well laid out things are under the hood. Very different to the GX in that regard. It looks like it will be a bit easier to work on.

2FCDA75B-7528-455E-8903-EA454C6BA10D.jpeg

D205BEDB-2BF4-4ED7-B035-125C093151E5.jpeg

You only get the torsen with some models of the 4runner nowadays. My 05 Sport came with it but that all changed. My 05 had a known head gasket issue. Luckily I never horsed it and it lasted until trade in time. I didn't want to jam someone with that by reselling myself. The XREAS system was planned obsolescence and stupid money to replace.

The biggest factor here is going to be the treatment earlier in its life by previous owners. The GX series are hands down way more likely to have been treated very well, and abused very little.

^ That’s the correct statement. Maintenance history and driving behavior of the owner(s) are the most important factor.

When I went looking for a new 4runner last year I bought one that arrived at the dealer with 3.3 miles on it. Being that the Tahara test track is 3 miles long, I was fairly confident mine had been test driven at Tahara and that made me extra interested in snagging it that day. It drives very smooth like it was dialed in really well. Couldn’t be happier…

Another thing that really surprised me was just how bare bones and well laid out things are under the hood. Very different to the GX in that regard. It looks like it will be a bit easier to work on.

View attachment 2859591

View attachment 2859592
Ha,ha! Of course it'll be easier to work on under the hood!
You have 1/4 less cylinders do deal with! :rofl:

I miss several things about my GX470 after getting this 4Runner… 2 extra cylinders are definitely on that list. That being said I like this truck a lot.

Things I miss from my GX 470:
- V8
- full-time AWD
- much smoother ride (factory or even converted to springs)
- 3rd row seats (in the GX470 they fold into the perfect changing table for the kid)
- memory seats
- auto wipers
- auto headlights
- auto tilt mirrors
- independent rear A/C unit
- really tight turning radius for flawless uturns (4Runner is terrible for uturns)

Things I prefer with the 4Runner:
- Rear locking diff
- Rear window rolls down
- I can fit up to a 34” spare tire in the factory location
- OEM apple car play
- I love the look from the factory (GX 120/150 with mods looks really good though)
- I like having a toyota badge instead of lexus badge (not sure why but it’s true)

In the end, I think a 4Runner will generally have less electronics to go bad than a GX but now that the 4runners have adaptive cruise control and lane assist that may not be the case.

I think the GX platform should have the edge for being part of the Land Cruiser line and being tried and tested worldwide with UN and Japanese services deploying them, but the 4runner is made for south, central and north america to run 300k miles or more- so It may be a close second, tied or maybe (not being wrapped in Lexus amenities) even a slight advantage 4runner.

Someone made a comment in the 200 section that the 4Runner was like a tin-can compared to a 200. I went out and test drove a 200 and, although it was great, I got a big smile realizing that I prefer the driving position of the 4runner and don’t think it feels like a tin can in anyway.

Last edited:
I should add to this conversation that I replaced my 2009 GX @130k miles with a new 4Runner because

1) the GX had a parasitic draw from the self tilting mirrors system that couldn’t be tracked down and I was having to jump start it a couple times a week even after replacing the mirror motors and battery and having the alternator tested

2) main seal leaked pretty significantly

So… 130k… that’s how long the GX lasted for me before it was not worth the trouble as an only vehicle. I assume that’s pretty rare and I assume these issues are considered minor and “easily” repairable in the grand scheme of things but I live in the city and street park with nowhere to easily work on the car. That being said I was really close to getting a certified preowned GX460. Only reason I didn’t was not wanting to mod a brand new truck but hit the trails straight from the showroom. 4runner worked out perfect for that.

The only thing really keeping the GX from being any less trail worthy out of the box is just trimming the front and rear bumpers and removing the running boards. Bang! Same as 4R but with more power and comfort!
But yes, I understand not having a garage, driveway, etc. to be able to tinker on your rig, especially if you're one who loves tinkering! (like myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom