Worst Case Scenario Disaster Pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rather than start a new thread I'll tag along on this one.

We are heading to SF, the land of milk and earthquakes. We plan to spend a week down there in hotels.

What should I throw in my day pack?

I own a walther P22. Fun little gun. Some people have had feeding issues with them depending on the brand of bullet used, but I have never had any issues. It is definitly small and light wt, easy to carry without drawing attention.... And like has already been mentioned, same ammo as a 10-22 and you can have thousands of rounds on hand without breaking the bank or your pack.

Great thread.

When we lived in FL on the ocean, I developed something I called the "Hurricane Book". It's a 3-ring binder full of information and important paperwork. Except for the documents it contains, the information inside it isn't meant for situations where you have to leave instantly, it's meant more for when you have some time (i.e. storm watch/warning times). I used to track hurricanes anyway and had a time line set up for evacuation preparation. It's still appropriate for everywhere else we've ever lived - it works for blizzards, ice storms, etc. I am an idiot, so I try and make the process "Idiot-proof".

Information the binder contains: storm status info (i.e. what "watch" and "warning" mean); storm category information; water storage and purification info; power loss info; lists of gear to 1) have on hand for prepping house for storms, evacuating, etc. and their location; lists of stuff to take when evacuating (so you didn't have to think about it); timeline lists of things to do IN ORDER of what to do; emergency plans for the whole family (they carry small laminated copies); death instructions; household inventory (w/digital pictures) and photos of house interior/exterior on a CD; etc...All of this stuff is so you don't have to try and remember things when you are really short of time.

In the back of the book I keep important documents in plastic sleeves: you should keep ORIGINALS in this book and COPIES in your safe deposit box. I keep birth/marriage certificates for the whole family; dog vaccination records and license records; summary medical records for family; military EDS sheet copy; SS cards; passports; insurance papers (for everything); wills; and also summary information sheets for everyone in the family; and a whole bunch of other stuff. You keep the originals with you because in case of death or disaster you can't get to the bank to get into the safe deposit box. Yeah, it's risky to have all this info where someone could find it, that's why it looks like what it isn't

There's a lot more in this binder. I keep it right by an exit door in an inconspicuous bag and place so I can grab it in an instant on my way out or by breaking into the door from the outside and grabbing it. The family also knows where it is, but it just looks like a maintenance binder for home appliances or something like that so no one would pay it much notice. I also have sealed copies of the above at both the home of a trusted friend and the home of a trusted family member - who are not in the same geographic location we are

I also keep emergency supplies in the cellar of the house AND in the barn, in case one burns down or something. They are in quick grab and go plastic tubs and buckets. I have a lot of room, so storage is not a problem. I also try to keep at least 3 months worth of water & food stored up (for a family of 6). Everything gets rotated regularly. It's one way to buy in bulk economically. I use this food also as a savings account for when grocery money gets a little tight late in the month. Dog food stores well in metal trash cans. Rice and stuff like that goes in Rubbermaid storage tubs that slide right under beds.

It makes me crazy when I see people who should know better heading to the store right before a storm. I can see heading for the liquor store, but not for food and toilet paper...And why do people keep buying the same sheets of plywood every time there is a storm? Plywood cut to fit your windows stores great under a bed (even under a box spring on top of a frame) or slid behind a tool box in the garage/barn. Put hardware to install it right in a ZipLoc and tape to each board. Mark each board with a Sharpie for its location.

Another thing to do is get together with some trusted neighbors and form a group for mutual support/protection. Everyone can keep some part of a larger and more comprehensive set of tools, food, and equipment.

Also, its the simple things. Keep the truck full of fuel. Keep crap from piling up over the tubs in the barn so you can find them fast. Make lists so you don't have to try and remember everything. Schedule supply maintenance on a regular basis. It isn't hard.

i always get the "stopping power" argument when i talk about small calibre, but to date nobody will voluntarily stand in front of my weapon to prove me wrong. :D

If you're in the city another thing to consider are comfy inserts. I work on the national mall and was there during 9/11. I ended up having to walk a few miles home, no big deal but I had dress shoes on which gave me major blisters. I now keep a little survival pack at my desk with gel inserts.

Also, it's a good idea to keep your fuel tank filled above half. Even though I was walking home I passed thousands of people stuck on the road in traffic.

A wise man once said,

"...the primary determining factor of stopping power is BULLET PLACEMENT. A cool, deliberate marksman with a little .32 Walther PPK will beat (as in dead) a panicky, inaccurate man with a .357 Magnum or .45 auto every time."

Choose your poison, be it a .22LR, .32, .38, 9mmHP, .40, etc., ad nauseum, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. If you can afford it pick up a .22LR and 9mm, because ammunition in these calibers are plentiful and relatively cheap, allowing you to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE without taking out a 2nd mortgage.

Here endeth the lesson.

-voodoo

Good advice, but many semi auto pistols have 22 caliber conversion slides with a magazine. Good method to practice, and then switch for centerfire ammunition.

Mark

i always get the "stopping power" argument when i talk about small calibre, but to date nobody will voluntarily stand in front of my weapon to prove me wrong. :D

I used to be a range officer at a public target range, and I had to babysit the clubs to make sure they did not damage the range.

I observed during the IDPA training that they had, was to shoot chest, head and pelvis.

Also, find a caliber that you can tolerate recoil that has proper stopping power. If 9mm works because you can shoot a tight group, then its good for you. I am a minion of Jeff Cooper. 1911 45 ACP all the way, or the Dirty Harry Special.

Mark

yeah like mark says if its worst case scenereo a backpack is much more than you need and prolly wont be carried everywhere you go. my basic survival kit is a pouch the size of an eyeglass holder.

ditch the zippo for a disposable. lighter fluid does evaporate, and a zippo will go dry.

here is my basic pouch carried wherever i go:

2 heavy duty freezer bags
water purification (tincture of iodine 2%)
space blanket
one roll dental floss
4ft colored surveyors tape
pea less plastic whistle
paraffin coated striike anywhere wooden matches
disposable butane lighter
magnesium block firestarter
8 cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly in film case
credit card size magnify lens
flashlaight on lanyard with extra batteries(date marked)
extra carbon steel knife with sheeth(not cheesy survival knive)

in a larger shaving kit bag i carry:

3ft clear plastic 1/4" drinking tube(for collecting water in small spaces)
collapsable platipus water container
2 55 gal barrel liners
heavy duty space blanket
woll or syn stocking cap
cotton bandana
100ft of 550 cord
sightable signal mirror
homemade first aid kit
power pack (caffiene and effedrine)
compass
2 candy or nutrtion bars.

the small pouch is the basic to stay alive, its always with me, it can be packed into the larger pouch which is in the cruiser all the time.
this kit is just for survival mode. most survival situations last 3-4 days. for the end of the world scenario i have a whole nother set-up that can be thrown in the cruiser in short order.

Somebody read Cody Linden's book!!

Replace all your towels with a chamise (spelling?) It could be used alot and even shared and you just wring it out and keep going.

Somebody read Cody Linden's book!!

makes at least two of us,, i'll tell you what, for just a small pouch to carry on your person he knows his stuff. i have a bunch of big heavy crap in the cruiser for real comfort if something happens. ya know, i have a small repair kit for the cruiser but a big stay out of trouble kit. guess i figure theres only so much repair work i can do in the field, but to set up camp for a day or two waiting for help is a snap, specially since the number one survival tip is letting friends know where your going.

Last edited:
not sure if anyone mentioned it-- but a few non-lubricated condoms are a good addition to a survival kit. they pack small, weigh nothing, and can hold a few liters of water if you carry them in a shirt or something. They can also be used to line other containers in the event of a leak, or to hold food. Heck, you could even force one into duty as a hat, but it might be a little snug.

Oh. and they are handy for some other stuff that can happen in survival situations when your partner might have lost her pills (or you have a new partner)

Tincture of iodine is a good water purifier/wound treatment but if you spill it, it can ruin the contents of your medical kit. Make sure it is in a double-sealed and resealable container.

Duct tape. Wrap a water bottle with it.

Stainless water bottle is heavier than nalgene, but will store water longer and you can boil water in it easily by just putting it in the ashes of a fire (pointed AWAY from people). And be sure to take the duct tape off first.

I've got pinch-light LED's all over the darn place. You can find them online for $2 each if you buy 10 from Hong Kong. The lithium batteries last a long time in storage. having multiple lights is a good thing. Just to try it, I took apart a pinch light, filled the interior with silicone grease, then resealed it. After 15 minutes in the ocean (in my pocket, playing in the waves) it still worked just fine. Long term, the internal wires did corrode... but long term was a few weeks later.

So, seeing as it's getting close to 12/21/2012, I finally got around to reading this thread. :D Lots of great info.
I've sorta dedicated my free time for nearly a decade to figgering out what I need and need to do to survive a civilization ending event. This is why I chose a Land Cruiser. This is why I'd prefer to have diesel and manual.

In my mid 20s, I was homeless for 3 1/2 years. I drank alot, but rarely ate enough. I survived that. Everything I needed for living on the streets in Boston fit in my NATO pack or on my person. I could make do with things others discarded, including food.

Then I got a second chance and got a job at a surplus store. When I'm not at work, I wear Altama (supplier to US armed forces) jungle boots with the civilian sole. They breathe. They're durable. I get about 2 years out of a pair. And if they get wet, they dry very quickly.
I wear milspec wool blend socks year round. They breathe. And if they get wet, they're still body temperature. And they wear well.
I wear cotton ripstop BDUs in summer, blend BDUs in the winter. (I wear 100% cotton T-shirts year round, but have many things to wear over/instead of them.)
I wear baseball caps, but also have a boonie hat and a milspec acrylic watchcap. Not quite as warm as wool, but hasn't ever been a problem.
I'm a big fan of vests. Keep your core warm and you can re-warm your extremities. Bulky sleeves can be a liability. But, it never gets too cold here in the desert. And if the sun gets blotted out and it gets really cold, there's always animal pelts.

I used to try and get all the things I thought I'd need to survive the Big One.
Nowadays, I'm all about minimalism. And improvisation.
I can only think of a couple of disasters that I wouldn't have some kind of warning of. Earthquake, industrial accident, terrorist attack. (If anyone can think of any others, please chime in.)
When I get that warning, I'm GTFO the city. Last place I want to be is surrounded by 3 million panicking urbanites. I'd guess they'd be more of a danger to me than the precipitating event.
I have a few spots picked out. Depending on what the event is. All are high ground and easily defended from individuals. I'd be fubar'd in a frontal assault, though.

So here's my kit:
Mag Lites. I use em at work, so I always have bulbs and batteries. Almost always have one on my hip. Couple in the truck.
Folding straight blade. Almost always on my hip, unless I'm gonna be frisked at a club or something. Have a 2nd one in the glovebox.
Gerber Multi Plier. Has a straight blade, serrated blade, abrasive blade, scissors, screwdrivers, bottle opener, can opener and a file. Almost always on my hip.
I'm a big fan of the Springfield 1911 in .45ACP. I keep 2 full mags with it. But it's a weapon of last resort. I'd much rather have the time to fashion a nearly silent weapon like an atlatl. If I've got to take a man down, I'd rather not reveal my position to his friends.
50' of paracord.
Shop 1st aid kit. It's fairly big. I'll be adding a s***load of butterfly closures. Those things are awesome.
18" Himilayan Imports WWII Kukri. It's tougher than a Cruiser. Can be used as an axe, prybar, shovel, hammer, knife, and, if need be, can cleave the average man's arm off at the shoulder. Plus, it comes with a steel and utility knife.
Changes of clothes for different weather conditions including an N3-B extreme cold weather parka (it compresses nicely and is rated to -50°F, IIRC) and a GI poncho. (Need to get a liner for it.)
Seeds. You heard me. If society is really dead cos of Yellowstone, or an asteroid or something, I'm gonna want to start planting the second the sun comes back out.

What will be added ASAP:
Potable water tank in the 80 with pneumatic spigot.
Pair of NATO water cans, in case I need to leave the truck, or refill the tank, or whatever, really.

I routinely fast 2 - 4 times/year. I go a week with nothing more than the following 3x/day: juice of 2 lemons, TBSP grade B maple syrup and 16oz water. Well, and enough filtered water to keep me sufficiently hydrated the rest of the day. I don't take time off work while I do this. I'm a construction equipment mechanic. I need to be able to do heavy work. And problem solve. And I can. Usually until the last day or so. I won't be needing food in my survival kit. Just electrolyte/vitamin C powder. I like Emergen C.

Anything else I need, I can probably find. Our public lands are littered with trash. Broken glass makes a single use spear/arrowhead. Empty beer cans can be used as a tinder box to start a fire. wiring from appliances dumped out there can be used as cordage for binding elements of a shelter.

Worst case, you could start tearing your truck apart for things. Airbags make excellent patch material. I keep rolls of dental floss as thread. You can fashion a sewing needle out of a piece of bone.

If you've got sufficient water to keep you going 1 full day, clothing appropriate to your climate and the basics to cobble up a shelter, everything else is secondary. There are bugs everywhere on earth, pretty much. And you will eventually be hungry enough that they'll taste pretty damned good.

And the last thing I'd want with me is a likeminded individual or 2. Survival is alot easier if you have someone to share the work. And if it's a prolonged situation, you just need someone other than a volleyball to talk to to keep from going insane.

Our species thrived for 100,000s of years with nothing more advanced than bone and stone tools and animal pelts. I'm pretty sure we could do it again if the need arose.

I was going to mention the fasting thing. I've only fasted once, for 3 days. Only water and coconut water (which has a little sugar and electrolytes). It suuuuuuucked. But I know I can function at above 80% without solid food. If you are serious about being prepared for the worst, a fast or two is great mental prep. Our bodies are pretty incredible machines, the mind is the part most likely to fail in the short-term due to lack of food.

Having said that- I'd still carry a few lifeboat rations or at least power bars in an emergency kit. Not because you *can't* find food/hunt. But what if you injure yourself and need two or three days to rest before you can hunt effectively? Nice to have little extra cushion there. And lifeboat rations (or something similar) are pretty compact. Especially in the context of carrying them in the vehicle with you. FWIW: I have two MREs stashed in my cruiser.

Oh, and another thing... a deck of cards or small handheld (non-electronic) game. Or dice.
Never underestimate the value of a momentary distraction when you're in the most stressful situation possible.
I used to have a deck of cards when I was homeless. The backs didn't all match, but when you're playing a few rounds of solitaire, who cares?
I now make sure I always have a full deck. I usually have 2.

Thinking on fasting and preparedness. You can do allot of very strenuous exercise for many hours on end with the intake of just water, sugar, and salt. Yes, your body will slowly deplete some other trace minerals, etc., but you can output to near your aerobic limit ingesting just those three things in the right proportions. While you are exercising eat and drink before you are hungry and your sustained output level can be kept near 70% to 80% of the maximum you body can handle.

As an example. When I was a much more serious cyclist I was able to do a 600km brevet in under 25 hours. During the ride I only drank plain water or a water/sucrose/electrolyte mixture. At the end of it I felt a little worn out, but could have easily done many more miles.

As for transportation. When the diesel and gas runs out you can't beat a bicycle for getting you somewhere with the least amount of energy expenditure. Just remember to keep up a 90+ cadence on the pedals and you can go very far in one day. Run a lower cadence and you will wear yourself out much much faster.

Dump the tuna cans

If you want tuna, get it in the foil pouches. Less water and container weight for the amount of protein present. In reality it would be much better to go with freeze dried foods. More protein per lbs of packed weight. The also have a much longer shelf life. As always, rotate your stock. Use up the old stuff in a stew.

Great Thread!!

some of you may know this but for those that don't. For sleeping or treating shock. I use a uncle Wiggy's bag nowadays but i still keep a woobie/space blanket in the truck for emergencies. Instead of having both, i took one woobie (poncho liner for the non-military folks) and one space blanket, sew both together and along three connecting sides sew heavy duty hook and loop (velcro). If the area your in gets pretty cold you can sandwich the space blanket between two woobies. This gives you a cheap expedient sleeping bag as well as something to cover someone thats suffering from shock or a cold weather injury without having to give up your bag. Also if your so inclined instead of a second woobie you can use oiled canvas, it makes it alot heavier but you can use it as a ground tarp as well as a mat for crawling under the rig for those pesky trail repairs.

Ahhh a thread back from the dead. I have my kit posted up earlier in this thread but since last we talked I have made some changes to that kit.

1. Added to replace the alcohol stove is a Bushbuddy stove. Boils a litter of water with a hand full of twigs. Burns dry cow turds in a jam. fuel forever any where. Efficient and pretty much smoke free. Fits inside my 900cc cook pot like it was made for it. Goes with me now always.

BUSHBUDDY ... Compact woodburning cookstove for outdoors

2. Pot cozy. Don't laugh, saves fuel and lets you cook multiple items at once. I keep it in my pot stuff sack with the pot inside.

AGG Shopping Cart

3. Added to the first aid kit a few goodies. The Israeli bandage is I think a great improvement on the trauma bandage. These guys put together a pretty good kit.

Cavalry Arms

4. Added a pair of Yaesu VX-2 radios. Small, UHF, VHF and so much more. Mine are programmed for our company repeaters here in Kosovo and all commonly used civilian U.S. and European frequencies. Great for keeping your tribe together.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

5. Sunlinq solar panel on LoveTractors advice. Charges the radios and GPS/Flashlight batteries.

Sunlinq 6.5Watt 12V Portable Power Pack

6. Replaced the pack with a beefier and slightly larger one to haul the junk on a daily basis, SHTF and weekend pack.

Mystery Ranch — Packs — Pack

Also have this as a dedicated backpacking pack and I would most definitely want to take it as a bug out pack given the opportunity along with my down sleeping bag. But can't really haul it around on a daily basis. Great great versatile pack.

McHale Alpine Style Packs

7. Replaced my sheath knife with and Bark River Bravo-1

Bark River Bravo-1 - Kit Up

8. Added and and continue to add to a pile of 1 ounce and 1/10 ounce Krugerrands. Hard currency for hard times.

Krugerrand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. Added to library to go with 98.6.

Amazon.com: When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes: Cody Lundin, Russell L. Miller, Christopher Marchetti: Books

None of this stuff trumps good luck, skill and mental toughness but may give a jump start and I use it all on a regular basis any way (except the Krugerrands and the first aid stuff). My wife's pack is set up to be a pretty good bug out pack also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom