Worst Case Scenario Disaster Pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that I'm an expert...but...

Buy a FoodSaver from Atilla. Pack everything in FoodSaver bags. The biggest problem with packing and long term storage is moisture and oxygen. Both of these are taken care of by the FoodSaver.

Nothing in any of the previous post is going to be useful if it is soaked. Also, removing all the air reduces the amount of space required for packing (especially for clothes).

I also have to agree about knowing what these packs are really for. In my area most common need for emergency supplies is for either floods or wildfires. That means, for me, keeping eveything dry and accessible at all times. Also, it means packing items not to 'survive', but to 'live' in some comfort for a few days in a 'public' shelter (basicaly a "Grab and Run Bag").

Not that "survial" gear wouldn't be useful, but what is really necessary (and, I think, the origin of this post) is something to grab when the police cruise down your street announcing a 'mandatory evacuation' to the local Red Cross shelter. Given that, I think some of the "creature comfort" items would not be out of the question.

Having said all that, and given my anticipated cicrcumstances, I would add an airline type floatation device (CO2 inflatable with water activated strobe beacon) per person and make sure everything is waterproof. Also, some type of shami (sp?) and a change of clothes (from a waterproof pack) to dry off and change would also be a big plus (water on the inside saves...water on the outside kills). I would also have a double or triple-trunk scanner ready to go at all times. Additionally, I would probably add local and regional maps from AAA as well as USGS maps.

The only other thing I would add is to learn some basic knots and ropework. A very good book is "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework" (HH, Budworth, 0-681-6064-0). The ones I highly recommend are: double constrictor (makes a wicked turnicut), any of the sheet bends, half blood, Pursik (single or double), water bowline (if you really need to know a bowline), adjustable loop, Poldo tackle (using an angler's loop and also makes a wicked turnicut), and Trucker's hitch (although I don't like Budworth's version). Also note that a bar of Ivory soap is very useful as a dry lubricant with rope, line, and everything else.

I would also agree that there are several 'levels' of survival that need to be considered before anything is packed. For my family, as I mentioned above, there is the 'grab and run' bag that everyone should have, but there is also a need for travel and long term survival items that others in this post have mentioned and should be packed and ready to go also. These should be in a vehicle at all times or readily accessible in case of a necessarilly quick departure. Although as all else is critical for long term 'solidtary' survival, the 'grab and run' bag is really the day-to-day "suvival" bag when evacuation is necessary and eminant.

Nothing in any of the previous post is going to be useful if it is soaked. Also, removing all the air reduces the amount of space required for packing (especially for clothes).

I also have to agree about knowing what these packs are really for. In my area most common need for emergency supplies is for either floods or wildfires. That means, for me, keeping eveything dry and accessible at all times. Also, it means packing items not to 'survive', but to 'live' in some comfort for a few days in a 'public' shelter (basicaly a "Grab and Run Bag").

Not that "survial" gear wouldn't be useful, but what is really necessary (and, I think, the origin of this post) is something to grab when the police cruise down your street announcing a 'mandatory evacuation' to the local Red Cross shelter. Given that, I think some of the "creature comfort" items would not be out of the question.

Just to nitpick... Lots of the things mentioned are very helpful, wet or not. Knives and firearms will survive immersion. So will MREs and any properly packed food. Twine, string, 550 cord, fishing line (and all fishing supplies don't mind a bit of moisture. Rain gear works if it is wet. Any flashlight worth carrying will be water proof. Wool clothing (hat, socks, pants or whatever) works pretty well when wet. So will a compass and LOTS of the stuff that will be in a pack like this.

Regardless it is assumed that anything in a pack like this will be sealed in water proof bags/containers if it is at all affected by moisture.

Personally I don't consider amenities for taking to some sort of Red Cross shelter to be a "worst case" survival pack. But then I don't live in a place where the police drive down the streets telling you to evacuate and I doubt that I would ever partake of any Red cross type shelter either.

Of course this brings us back to the fact that different environment and different people mean different needs and different supplies. ;)

Mark...

Well here it is. To be honest this is not a survival/worst case kit. it is my basic bug out bag and short term camping hiking kit. Right now in wonderful Kosovo spring is in the air but the mountains still have snow so I have dumped the down coat that is in the kit for winter. I loaned my watch cap to my father in law who is here visiting and I left most of the packing bags out of the pics. I tend to adjust the contents with the season. Please excuse my poor photos it was a very overcast day. You can see the tarp under everything and the black sleeping bag to the left side of the bed.
Kit1.jpg
Kit2.jpg
Kit3.jpg

What I have done is lay everything out and then begin the packing. If I know I am going on the trip I dump the black sleeping bag and add my down bag. I don't like to keep the down bag compressed for long periods. My wife made me get the ACR beacon, hope not to ever use it and not sure I trust it anyway.

The black bag with the small fire starter and compass with lanyard disconnects from the pack and attaches to a belt.
Kit4.jpg
Kit5.jpg
Kit6.jpg

Last edited:
I live in a place where you can just walk into a pharmacy and pick up what ever you want without any paper work so I am planning to add some antibiotics to go along with the pain killers.
Kit7.jpg
Kit8.jpg

I put together some small bugout bags after 9/11. And then after Katrina, I got more serious and put these bugout bags together. They are based off of John "Lofty" Wiseman's survival books and his primary survival lists:
http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-S...3803202?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173811921&sr=1-3

And yes they're both actually quite light and will get much lighter as food is consumed.

Primary Backpack(Caribiner Attached)
HK USP Compact .40(12 Shells)
Passport, SS Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Reg., Home Deed/Car Titles/Insurance, Health Insurance, Bank/$ Statements, Checks, $500 Cash($5 bills), $10 Quarters(for payphones), List of emergency Phone Numbers/Addresses, Dog's's Records, Copies of wife's docs.
My Boots and Wool Socks, BDU Pants: "Wilderness" Belt, Fox40 Whistle, Bandanna, Cell Phone Charger
Capilene Longjohns, Hat, 1pr Wool Socks, Red Rain Jacket and Maroon Fleece
Gear Inventory List
SAS Survival Pocket Guide by John Wiseman
Marmot Atom Sleeping Bag w/ Silk Liner
Yaesu VX-6 Ham Radio(LiOnBatt rechargeable+AA adaptor)(0.5-999MHz;144MHz,222MHz,430MHz,AM/FM,SW,Air,TV)
Maps(Charleston/SC/US)(EasyFinder waterproof)
Garmin 276c GPS(LiOn rechargeable battery) w/ Case
Water/Windproof Matches(Fire)
Countycomm Keychain Flint(Fire)
Magnifying Lens(Fire)
Sewing Kit(in First Aid Kit)
Small Fishing Kit(Food)
Compass
Gerber Infinity Ultra Flashlight(1AArechargeable)
25ft Snare Wire(Food)
Pocket Saw w/ Handles
Small First Aid/Trauma/Exposure Kit(Gloves, TraumaPad, 2 Guaze, 1 Elastic&1 GuazeBandage, Tape, LgTegaderm, Sm Tegaderm, 2 N95Masks, BurnPad, 4 BandAids, 10 SteriStrips, SewingKit, SuperGlue, 3 Antiseptics, 4 Alcohol Pads, 4 Sting Pads, 4 AntisepticPads, 4 Aspirin, 6 Tylenol, 4 Ibuprofen, 11 Immodium, 6 Benadryl, 4 Decongestant, 50 H2O Tabs, BugLotion, Sunscreen, Lipbalm)
Issue Steel Canteen Cup(Boil water)
Spork
Food(5 MRE entrees,2Breads,2PB,2J,2Crackers,2Cheese,1Candy)(3 MtnHseEntrees)("Extras")
2-Person Space Blanket
Pencil+Small Notepad
"Big" Katz Knife
Leatherman Surge Tool
Portable Knife Sharpener
Katadyn Guide Water Filter
100oz. CamelBak Water Bladder
XL Trash Bag(Shelter/Raincoat)
Extra Sunglasses
75ft Paracord Rope
Gig Spear Head(Food)
Countycomm Monocular
.40 Rounds(20)
Small Roll Duck Tape+10 Rubberbands+ZipTies
Handgun Holster(w/ Extra Magazine of 12 shells)
1 Roll Toilet Paper, Toothbrush and Mini Toothpaste, Dental Floss(Ass and dental needed only)
Pocket PC(rechargeable LiOnBatt) w/CF Card Telephone Modem + phone line
SunLinq Solar Panel w/ Female Car Cig Lighter Adaptor & Male HAM radio, GPS, & Pocket PC power adaptors
Nalgene Water Bottle

Secondary Backpack(Attached:Caribiner)
Wive's Passport, SS Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Reg., Home Deed, Insurance,$10 Quarters(for payphones), Bank/$ Statements, Checks, $500 Cash($5 bills), List of Emergency Phone Numbers/Addresses, Copies of my docs.
Wive's Boots&Wool Socks, BDU Pants:Wilderness Belt, StormAlert Whistle, Bandanna, C's Cell Phone Charger
Shorts, Capilene Longjohns, Hat,1pr Wool Socks, Patagonia Jacket and Black Fleece
Gear Inventory List
Waterproof Survival-info Cards
Marmot Atom Sleeping Bag w/ Silk Liner
Icom T2H Sport Ham Radio(137-174MHz)(8AArechargeable)
Water/Windproof Matches(Fire)
Fire Starter and Tinders(Fire)
Compass
Gerber Infinity Ultra Flashlight(1AArechargeable)
25ft Snare Wire(Food)
Issue Steel Canteen Cup(Boil Water)
Spork
Food(5 MRE entrees,2Breads,2PB,2J,2Crackers,2Cheese,1Candy)(3 MtnHseEntrees)("Extras")
Peterson Guide to Edible Wild Plants(Food)
Space Blanket Bivy
Doug Ritter Knife
Mini Leatherman Tool
70oz. CamelBak Water Bladder
XL Trash Bag(Raincoat or Shelter)
Extra Sunglasses
25ft Paracord
Northface Tent
.40 Rounds(20)
Collapsible Dog Bowl, Collar, and Leash
Battery Charger
Male Car Cig Lighter Battery Charger Adaptor
Nalgene Water Bottle

RED KELTY Backback
Extra Food/MREs/Mountain House

Ruger 10/22 w/Ammo+Mags
Mossberg 500(20 shells 00)

Wallets, Keys, Cell Phones, Blackberry, and Sunglasses from wherever

I can recharge or use the primary electronics(minus flashlights) with the solar panel.

And yes I get teased, but I always say,"Laugh now. You'll be bangin' on my door if the s*** does indeed hit the fan.":flipoff2:

If anyone has any questions, please ask. I spent a lot of research time compiling my kits.

Below is a pic of my primary pack minus clothes and personal docs which actually sit next to both packs. Depending who's home during whatever catastrophe, the docs and clothes are packed in primary first and secondary second:
bob2.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to elaborate on my method of putting together my packs.
I see it as KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

John Wiseman who is world-renowned for his survival expertise has made this neat list that I used to build my kit:

-Sleeping Bag-lightweight and packs small. I chose the Mamot Atom b/c it's rated at 30* and weighs a pound.
-Backpack-light and quality pack. I chose Gregory Reality.
-Stowing Kit-compartmentalize everything so you can find it quick
-Radio-you want to keep touch with the outside world somehow. I got one that hears everything.
-GPS-know where you are. I added maps and a compass for backup. Know how to navigate with them!
-Cell Phones-this is a given. There nice, but make sure you think ahead and can charge them "in the field" be it a shelter or at someone's outside electrical outlet. I also added a pocket PC w/ a phone modem so I can dial into the internet. Phone b/c wifi and such may be down after storm or whatever.
-Matches-military grade wind-proof and waterproof. Not the crap from Dick's sporting goods. Also referred to as "boat matches."
-Candle-I bypassed this. Wiseman talks about edible candles.:confused:
-Flint-I really like the keychain flints. You can find them around. Got mine from Countycomm.
-Magnifying Lens-Remember when you used to torture ants with these? You can start fires this way. I got a flimsy one that won't accidentally break from Barnes and Noble.
-Needle&Thread-Sewing kit for fixing your gear or you(sutures).
-Fishhooks and Line-Small fishing kit. I just went into my tackle box and compiled a kit resembling the Army issue one. I also added a giggin' spearhead for spearfishing.
-Compass-again. Know where you are and what direction you are going.
-"Beta Light"-that's what Wiseman calls it. I got the Gerber Infinity Ultra. Awesome and VERY long-lasting. I think it was rated at like 66hrs or something. Same one as mj1015.:cheers:
-Snare Wire-for setting traps to catch small rodents and game for food. Get copper line from fishing store.
-Flexible Saw-For building a sturdy shelter. I got a "Pocket Saw" that rolls up and stores in a tin. equipped.com rated it highly.
-Medical Kit-take care of your body. It's your most valuable tool. You can see mine above. The main ingredients: analgesic, intestinal sedative(pepto/immodium), antibiotic(can't get easily; I bypassed), water purification tabs, antihistamine, anti-malaria:confused:. Also surgical blade(I thought my knives were enough), butterfly sutures(ie SteriStrips/super glue), and plasters(it's some concoction Wiseman writes about; forget about it)

-Fuel-I don't have a stove. I took it out and will use fire and my steel canteen cup.
-Signal Flares-I have a whistle. Left out stuff like signal mirrors and such.
-Mess Tin-Steel Canteen Cup and spork. Boil/cook/eat.
-Pencil-sized torch-see beta light above.
-Marker Panel-more signal stuff if your lost. I bypassed for my bugout bag.
-Matches-
-Brew Kit-that's tea and such. I have that in my small "Extras" bag in my kit(next to Food). Remember, Wiseman's English.:D
-Food-I got MREs b/c I don't have to rotate stock very often. I got my current MREs and Mountain House food last year and will rotate it out every 5 years. Some may say I packed too much food, but my pack is not heavy at all right now and I thought, "What the hay. Less hunting/fishing later."
-Survival bag-space blanket/bivy. Packs REALLY small and retains something like 90% of your body heat.
-Survival Log-notepad in a ziplock bag and a pencil. Keep track of plants that don't make you sick, radio stations that have the best coverage, rationing plans, etc...It helps to keep tabs and gets your mind out of monotony.
-Knife-good solid steel blade from tip to butt. Preferably with a flat butt so it can also be used as a hammer. And a good multi-tool. Don't skimp on either. I added a small diamond sharpener to keep them sharp.
-Water-I have the water filter, water tabs, Nalgene bottle, and bladders. You need water.

I added paracord b/c it's awesome, light and will help building stuff(shelter) if need be.
Added a trash bag. It's been mentioned. Extremely versatile.
Added extra sunglasses. Like I said before, your body is your most important tool. You don't wanna go blind from too much sun or wind. This is just in case I forget my primaries in a hurry.
Added duck tape, rubber-bands, zipties. Don't take much space and can help in thousands of ways.
Added monocular. So I can see danger ahead if need be. The countycomm monocular is really a quality optical and for $12 it can't be beat.
Added the SunLinq solar panel. They build 'em for our troops. I can recharge or run the radio, GPS, and pocket PC whenever there's sun.

You don't need "extra" clothes; the clothes on your back are fine. I'll wear my boots(GOOD BOOTS) and wool socks, BDU pants and whatever shirt I have on and I'll have an extra pair of socks if I need to switch while hoofin' it and longjohns, hat, and jacket/fleece if it gets really cold or rains. Stay away from cotton.
You don't need extra toiletries. Who are you trying to impress? You don't want a toothache or dental problems so pack the toothbrush and dental floss. TP cause hoofin' around with a dirty ass sucks. You don't need towels either. What do you intend to dry? Air-dry, man. That's just fluff.

Keep it light. Keep it simple. Keep it light(again). No frills; it's just extra s*** you have to hoof.

Last edited:
We have a couple of Yaesu VX-5 radios kicking around the shop, but I am on the look out for a couple of personel ones for my self. I will also check out the VX-6. Great radios.

My wife bougt me a solar battery charger, but it doesn't work very well so I am checking on the SunLinq Solar Panel as we speak.

You can't see them in my pics because because they are in yellow first aid kit but I also carry Imodium. Very important stuff.

I have a little fishing kit but I don't have it in the kit as catching a fish is probably not going to happen here. Might be able to snag some small fish with a net (made from the inner fibers of the 550 cord) or fish trap. I have made the nets before, it is a pain in the ass and takes a long time but can be done.

Also shown in my piscs is a red nylon dog bowl for my buddy, I often carry a zip lock bag of dog chow but also often forget to refill it after a trek. Not cool.

I don't think my a alcohol stove is super important, but I end up using it quite often on the weekends.

...My wife bougt me a solar battery charger, but it doesn't work very well so I am checking on the SunLinq Solar Panel as we speak....
I have a little fishing kit but I don't have it in the kit as catching a fish is probably not going to happen here. Might be able to snag some small fish with a net (made from the inner fibers of the 550 cord) or fish trap. I have made the nets before, it is a pain in the ass and takes a long time but can be done.
I don't think my a alcohol stove is super important, but I end up using it quite often on the weekends.
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the solar battery chargers. At first, I thought about standardizing my kit to AA recharcheable batteries and bring along a separate battery charger to hook up to the SunLinq to charge the batteries for each electronic. But decided to nix all that in favor of LiOn rechargeable batteries in each electronic so I just hook it directly up to the SunLinq. It rocks. I use the SunLinq a lot out and about.
I also had a prefabricated gill net like what you describe, but took it out. Not many streams around here where it would be too effective. I opted for just plain fishing and spearing.
I had a JetBoil stove in there, but then thought about the extra weight of fuel that would eventually run out. After the fuel ran out, I didn't think the JetBoil cup could be easily customized to cook with without the whole JetBoil apparatus. The army issue canteen cup(which it looks like you have although I can't be sure from the angle) can be easliy customized to hang over a fire. Just use snare wire to "tie" the handles around the cup so they're not loose. Then use more snare wire to create a flimsy handle over the cup and you can hang it over a fire.

........1 Smith & Wesson 911 Emergency Rescue Knife (i prefer S&W or Benchmade Knives, the S&W in particular have an extremely thick shank and can actually be used for prying without voiding the warranty. this knife in particular has a fully serrated blade and will cut through anything pretty quickly, i know from exp. it will cut a seatbelt in one pass. it also includes a striker for breaking glass)

I would get a straight-edge knife, Tex. Serrated blades are a lot harder to keep sharp out in the field. Hell. Almost impossible. With a straight-edge, you can sharpen it easily with a portable diamond knife sharpener like I got(eze lap) OR you can sharpen it using sand, quartz, or granite with a little ingenuity. Serrated blades need much more intricate methods for sharpening.

I'd also look for a better quality backpack. I know you're on a budget, but you want a comfortable pack. You don't see many climbers with Eddie Bauer packs. The $50 you spend today on a cheap pack is $50 you don't have tomorrow to get a better quality pack. I'd save the $50 and save some more for a nice Kelty, Gregory, or some other respected brand. If you're stuck on the $50 budget, take a hard look at ALICE packs. ALICE packs are cheap if bought from army surplus stores and have been used by our troops for years.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the solar battery chargers. At first, I thought about standardizing my kit to AA recharcheable batteries and bring along a separate battery charger to hook up to the SunLinq to charge the batteries for each electronic. But decided to nix all that in favor of LiOn rechargeable batteries in each electronic so I just hook it directly up to the SunLinq. It rocks. I use the SunLinq a lot out and about.
I also had a prefabricated gill net like what you describe, but took it out. Not many streams around here where it would be too effective. I opted for just plain fishing and spearing.
I had a JetBoil stove in there, but then thought about the extra weight of fuel that would eventually run out. After the fuel ran out, I didn't think the JetBoil cup could be easily customized to cook with without the whole JetBoil apparatus. The army issue canteen cup(which it looks like you have although I can't be sure from the angle) can be easliy customized to hang over a fire. Just use snare wire to "tie" the handles around the cup so they're not loose. Then use more snare wire to create a flimsy handle over the cup and you can hang it over a fire.

Still trying to run the Sunlinq system to ground. Could you supply the model numbers of the stuff you are using and a supplier when you have a chance. I can find the panels but not sure what else is needed. Looks like a real nice way to go on many levels.

My pot is a aluminum Primus (I think), so far so good and the alcohol stove with wind screen sits inside no problem.

I just put the making of a net out here, if I thought there was any chance of catching anything but a bug in these waters I would carry a premade net. Not much wildlife avoids becoming dinner here.

I would get a straight-edge knife, Tex. Serrated blades are a lot harder to keep sharp out in the field. Hell. Almost impossible. With a straight-edge, you can sharpen it easily with a portable diamond knife sharpener like I got(eze lap) OR you can sharpen it using sand, quartz, or granite with a little ingenuity. Serrated blades need much more intricate methods for sharpening.

I'd also look for a better quality backpack. I know you're on a budget, but you want a comfortable pack. You don't see many climbers with Eddie Bauer packs. The $50 you spend today on a cheap pack is $50 you don't have tomorrow to get a better quality pack. I'd save the $50 and save some more for a nice Kelty, Gregory, or some other respected brand. If you're stuck on the $50 budget, take a hard look at ALICE packs. ALICE packs are cheap if bought from army surplus stores and have been used by our troops for years.

For the cheap at heart.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/22000119.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_CAMPING_HIKING_SA

http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/22000113.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_CAMPING_HIKING_SA

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/se...lAnyWords=&Ne=9000000&allWords=&searchWithin=

I wouldn't think you would want something too big if your goal is to grab and go.

Still trying to run the Sunlinq system to ground. Could you supply the model numbers of the stuff you are using and a supplier when you have a chance. I can find the panels but not sure what else is needed. Looks like a real nice way to go on many levels.

I've got the Sunlinq SP-12(looks like they came out with a new model) which is the 12-volt consumer version which comes with all the connectors you'd need. Made by Global Solar. Bought from Affordable Solar.

And since I was searching posts, I found another great link for everybody.
Here's the consumer distribution center of the company that makes MREs for our armed forces. You can buy entrees, deserts, sides, condiments, etc.. separately.
http://www.longlifefood.com/

I researched MREs from www.mreinfo.com and came up with a list of "favorite" entrees and such if anyone is interested.

My pot is a aluminum Primus (I think), so far so good and the alcohol stove with wind screen sits inside no problem.

I just put the making of a net out here, if I thought there was any chance of catching anything but a bug in these waters I would carry a premade net. Not much wildlife avoids becoming dinner here.

I was admiring your alcohol stove who makes it?

I've got the Sunlinq SP-12(looks like they came out with a new model) which is the 12-volt consumer version which comes with all the connectors you'd need. Made by Global Solar. Bought from Affordable Solar.

And since I was searching posts, I found another great link for everybody.
Here's the consumer distribution center of the company that makes MREs for our armed forces. You can buy entrees, deserts, sides, condiments, etc.. separately.
http://www.longlifefood.com/

I researched MREs from www.mreinfo.com and came up with a list of "favorite" entrees and such if anyone is interested.

That was exactly the one I was looking at from Affordable. I was just not sure if there was some type of cable/connector kit required.

Thanks, Looks like a fine, fine Christmas present for someone.

Pick your poison. A razor cutter, small drill bit and bit of trial and error. The one I have has a inner wall and is semi pressurized. These stoves really need a wind screen so dont forget about that.

http://zenstoves.net/Templates.htm#InnerWallSideburnerStoveTemplates

If you don't feel like messing with it you can buy them pretty cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-3-oz-Backpack...099184317QQcategoryZ87136QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-side-jet-A...098971224QQcategoryZ87136QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Go-Torch.html

There are a zillion plans and pre-made ones out there. The good thing is you can always pick up alcohol someplace. Lots of places (like here) you just can't get white gas.

good luck.

Pick your poison. A razor cutter, small drill bit and bit of trial and error. .......

You've got me itchin' to try a stove build after lookin' around zen for a while. I've thought up some plans for a multi-fuel stove for wood, alcohol, and esbit. Extra wood fuel is easily found after all other fuel is used and a small bottle of alcohol or esbit tablets are lighter than canned fuel.

1)Large 19oz, soup cap with 1/8 in. holes drilled around the lower base for air flow for burning wood(pencil-sized sticks, small twigs, pine cones, etc...). I'm also thinking about bolting small "legs" underneath the can and drilling the holes into the bottom. This way airflow comes up from the bottom and pushes heat upwards.
2)About midway up, make 3 "trianglular" cuts(like a church key makes but in the middle of the can) around can and fold inward. These 3 "flaps" will be the support for the alcohol/esbit burner.
3)Make a simple chimney alcohol stove out of a tuna, cat food, or other small can. Make sure it's small enough to fit inside the larger soup can. To make the burner, cut 1 big hole around the bottom with an x-acto knife. Extract food and clean out. And then drill/punch 8 small holes evenly around the middle. There's your alcohol burner. The burner can be flipped over for burning an esbit tablet. I'm thinkin' up ways to involve some mesh to give the esbit better airflow. See pic #1 for what I'm gonna build.
4)Somehow mount a steel canteen cup stand(see pic #2) on the top so my canteen cup can nest inside easily so I won't accidentally spill water/food. I'm brainstorming on ways to do this. I think I'm gonna have to bang it into a more circular shape so it fits around large soup can and probably bolt it there somehow.

Again, this is just down on paper right now, but I'm gonna give it a shot shortly.
SuperCat8.jpg
CanteenStand.jpg

Last edited:
You've got me itchin' to try a stove build after lookin' around zen for a while. I've thought up some plans for a multi-fuel stove for wood, alcohol, and esbit. Extra wood fuel is easily found after all other fuel is used and a small bottle of alcohol or esbit tablets are lighter than canned fuel.

1)Large 19oz, soup cap with 1/8 in. holes drilled around the lower base for air flow for burning wood(pencil-sized sticks, small twigs, pine cones, etc...). I'm also thinking about bolting small "legs" underneath the can and drilling the holes into the bottom. This way airflow comes up from the bottom and pushes heat upwards.
2)About midway up, make 3 "trianglular" cuts(like a church key makes but in the middle of the can) around can and fold inward. These 3 "flaps" will be the support for the alcohol/esbit burner.
3)Make a simple chimney alcohol stove out of a tuna, cat food, or other small can. Make sure it's small enough to fit inside the larger soup can. To make the burner, cut 1 big hole around the bottom with an x-acto knife. Extract food and clean out. And then drill/punch 8 small holes evenly around the middle. There's your alcohol burner. The burner can be flipped over for burning an esbit tablet. I'm thinkin' up ways to involve some mesh to give the esbit better airflow. See pic #1 for what I'm gonna build.
4)Somehow mount a steel canteen cup stand(see pic #2) on the top so my canteen cup can nest inside easily so I won't accidentally spill water/food. I'm brainstorming on ways to do this. I think I'm gonna have to bang it into a more circular shape so it fits around large soup can and probably bolt it there somehow.

Again, this is just down on paper right now, but I'm gonna give it a shot shortly.

Great idea. I was looking at picking up one of these for the same reason. Wood is fuel too. Would have to see one up close to copy it but could be done.

http://www.littlbug.com/littlbug_stove_junior.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom