worn steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as steering wheel covers, wheelskins is the way to go.

I looked into replacement leather awhile back for my 80. Most quality places wanted $200-250 for the job. There was one guy that sold the leather pattern and materials for a DIY'er. The cost was like $75 or so.

http://www.aglausa.com/

Proceed with caution as one customer reported really slow service.

I can vouch for the wheel skins cover. I have one on my 80 and it's great.

Easy to put on and looks good too.

cool, thanks for the replies, i think i will go with wheelskins. i am gonna guess "oak" would be the best color match for my 2000 l/c with the tan interior. i found some on ebay for $34 including the shipping. will post back up once its received and installed.

Be sure to set aside about an hour (IIRC). Nothing like having to drive somewhere with half the wheel finished.

Once you begin, keep the lacing very tight. Once it's finished, you can't really adjust it.

So be sure when you start that it's where you want it to be.

Yeah, it looks like it's most likely Oak. They offer free color swatches through their webpage.

Wheelskins still the best option for fixing the leather?

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel is my go-to. ~$400 for normal leather, but it's as good as new or better.

I've tried a few covers and they just don't compare, IMO. The tooling and labor to imitate OEM wheels is not really a DIY thing. Most professional upholstery shops flat out refuse those jobs unless they have all the tooling to do wheels - most do not.

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel is my go-to. ~$400 for normal leather, but it's as good as new or better.

I've tried a few covers and they just don't compare, IMO. The tooling and labor to imitate OEM wheels is not really a DIY thing. Most professional upholstery shops flat out refuse those jobs unless they have all the tooling to do wheels - most do not.

We’ll have to give this a try.

For us, the $200 Taiwan steering wheels have been our solution.

We’ll have to give this a try.

For us, the $200 Taiwan steering wheels have been our solution.

I had a couple ebay steering wheels for $150-$250 in my cart multiple times, just never pulled the trigger. I do hear great things about those.

Loncky seems like the best option currently for those of us not wanting to pay several hundred dollars for a professional recover. I'm still on the fence about doing mine because it seems no one can correctly match the color.

Has anyone ordered from Loncky? I placed an order on Feb 28th. A month later I'm sending an inquiry into order status. Oh I see they are located in China. NVM.

I found a local leather guy and had one custom done. Came out great and made a Matching boot for the transfer case. Cost under $400

I found a local leather guy and had one custom done. Came out great and made a Matching boot for the transfer case. Cost under $400

Could you post a photo of it? I'm on the market for a service like this and trying to understand the levels of quality. Thank you.

Could you post a photo of it? I'm on the market for a service like this and trying to understand the levels of quality. Thank you.

When I recently had a custom wheel done in an Amg (I did the eBay wheel in my lc and my current lx is good). I did a lot of research.

A top of the line job in a large city with materials as good as nappa, color materials choices or perforated or alcantara, etc is about 400 for a three or four seam wheel. It is about 100 extra to add padding, 100 to add thumb notches, and another 100 to make it a flat bottom.

Landcruiser heaven is who sells the skin for Diy.

A brand new nice wheel is an amazing upgrade if you are tactile. The whole ride “feels” new.

I chose due to budget on my first 100 the eBay wood and leather wheel that was 189 at the time. It’s great quality but the wood is fake of course and the image is not “wood” quality. The feel is nice and nicer than the stock lx wheel, imo. It’s fatter, and new.

Lastly, I will say that you may find a guy that just does this stuff for cheap on the side too. It’s a skill that pays and is not very time consuming, for a pro
Hope that helps.

When I recently had a custom wheel done in an Amg (I did the eBay wheel in my lc and my current lx is good). I did a lot of research.

A top of the line job in a large city with materials as good as nappa, color materials choices or perforated or alcantara, etc is about 400 for a three or four seam wheel. It is about 100 extra to add padding, 100 to add thumb notches, and another 100 to make it a flat bottom.

Landcruiser heaven is who sells the skin for Diy.

A brand new nice wheel is an amazing upgrade if you are tactile. The whole ride “feels” new.

I chose due to budget on my first 100 the eBay wood and leather wheel that was 189 at the time. It’s great quality but the wood is fake of course and the image is not “wood” quality. The feel is nice and nicer than the stock lx wheel, imo. It’s fatter, and new.

Lastly, I will say that you may find a guy that just does this stuff for cheap on the side too. It’s a skill that pays and is not very time consuming, for a pro
Hope that helps.

Got it. Thank you for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom