Worn Leather and Fixes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CactusHopper

aka PapaCruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I've read through the threads on repairing the LX 570 seats and saw lots of recommendations for Leatherique and a few example applications. I have a 2013 LX with the semi-aniline seats.

Below are photos of the wear on the driver's left bolster. Frist off, geez, that looks like bonded leather with the peeling! But I'm no expert, have just owned lots of leather products including a semi-aniline couch that has had daily wear for 12 years and isn't doing this....

Anyway, does this call for using a filler and dye? If I go that route, does that mean I need to dye the entire seat to ensure a match?

Is this something that's going to get severely worse quickly, requiring more intensive surgery, or is it good to leave alone until I get to it (year or a few years)? Not in a hurry to do this, just wanting see what you all think of this level of wear and best approach to restore.

Thanks!

1696286331720.png

1696286354001.png

1696286369675.png

Last edited:
I've read through the threads on repairing the LX 570 seats and saw lots of recommendations for Leatherique and a few example applications. I have a 2013 LX with the semi-aniline seats.

Below are photos of the wear on the driver's left bolster. Frist off, geez, that looks like bonded and not genuine leather with the peeling! But I'm no expert, have just owned lots of leather products including a semi-aniline couch that has had daily wear for 12 years and isn't doing this....

Anyway, does this call for using a filler and dye? If I go that route, does that mean I need to dye the entire seat to ensure a match?

Is this something that's going to get severely worse quickly, requiring more intensive surgery, or is it good to leave alone until I get to it (year or a few years)? Not in a hurry to do this, just wanting see what you all think of this level of wear and best approach to restore.

Thanks!

View attachment 3445817
View attachment 3445818
View attachment 3445819

This looks like it’s been dyed over before, and the “patch job” is starting to come off. Definitely doesn’t look OEM to me.

Agreed it has been dyed. To me it appears the base leather itself may be ugly but isn’t compromised to the point of having to worry about it tearing. But yes more of the vinyl/coating may come off.

Thanks for the input.

I've sent the photos to Leatherique to get their opinion.

So possibly I could remove the prior dye job and re-do it properly... It's just odd to me that at 90k to see that condition vs. other "bad" driver bolster examples on here and ClubLexus just show cracks that are more natural... like, how did the owner get to this situation that appears different than all others I've seen? : ) Maybe they had cracks and DIY'd it or hired a bad detailer by poorly sanding, filling, dying, and all around making it worse...?

The passenger side shows the beginnig of this but much less so. Rear seats all seem in good condition. So hopefully it's just a matter of one or two bolsters.

If it means I can give it some TLC at some point to stop further damage and even restore it a bit, I'm good with that outcome!

Mine is hosed as well. I'm at 115k. When it gets too annoying for me to look at, I'll just replace the whole interior leather. Not difficult or really expensive considering...

Mine is hosed as well. I'm at 115k. When it gets too annoying for me to look at, I'll just replace the whole interior leather. Not difficult or really expensive considering...

Except those aren't OEM, so if I just need to replace driver and/or passenger, it may not match the other leather in the car.... And I wasn't impressed with the fit of the Lseat from the one forum member. It wasn't bad, but.... : ( OEM is more $$$ though. Just the bottom is $700 here...

Leatherique agrees it looks like they wore the bolster down, didn't condition it, and then "used a cheap spray paint to hide and sell the car". Bummer. Asking him if there's a chance I can remove and do a proper dye job.

Oh well, it's just cosmetic or $700 (or less for non-OEM) lol. I have to tell myself it's just a truck....

Did the vehicle ever get resold through a dealer of any kind? That’s where I’ve seen these quick dye jobs done in the past.

PS: Fibernew is another service that specializes in these types of interior renewals.
It was a one-owner sold to Gullo Toyota of Conroe, Texas (Houston) whom I purchased it from. Beyond disappointing if Toyota mangled it so poorly that it's coming off the week I purchased it...

Thanks for the reminder about Fibernew, I had bookmarked them and considered getting their opinion. Might be worth it if the price is reasonable vs trying and possibly failing to fix it myself.

Looks like Fibrenew is a short-term solution based on the below post... Sounds very similar to what was probably done, i.e., a sand and "spray" job vs. Leatherique which sounds like a dye that is rubbed/impregnated into the leather possibly for a long-term result.

Leather seat repair - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/909988-leather-seat-repair.html

Given we will be using this mainly for beach, ranch, camping, road trips..... I'm thinking seat covers are our most logical and best value spend for the seats all around.... I just wish there were more options for the LX. Okole seems the best, but I had Fia in our Tacoma and really liked that material and fit. It was kind of a canvas/nylon rough woven fabric. Not sure I'll like the neoprene. That said, I love Okula sandals, so maybe I'll love Okole seat covers??? : )

Cheers

I don't know what aftermarket kits are available for LC/LX, but about a decade ago I got a kit for one of my Supras and stretched them over myself without any prior experience. It came out looking great at fraction of new skins from Toyota, and I'm pretty anal.

I bought my LX at 100k miles and looks almost the same. Dealer definitely did a crap job of trying to cover it up. Just another thing I accepted based on price paid for truck. Seat covers are also most likely way I’ll go. It seems like I’ve seen confirmed fitment of Escape Gear covers on the LX, but I’d like to “re-see” that. I know equipt/escape gear won’t confirm they fit.

I bought my LX at 100k miles and looks almost the same. Dealer definitely did a crap job of trying to cover it up. Just another thing I accepted based on price paid for truck. Seat covers are also most likely way I’ll go. It seems like I’ve seen confirmed fitment of Escape Gear covers on the LX, but I’d like to “re-see” that. I know equipt/escape gear won’t confirm they fit.
I wasn't impressed by the look of Escape, seemed loose, but people do say they like it. But they want a photo of your truck, so unless I send them fake photos of a LC I guess I'm not getting them for my LX. : ) I just emailed Fia to see if they would consider manufacturing for the LC/LX - obviously they will say no - but I had to ask... They seem to have a generic fit version but who knows how well it would fit.

I wonder if these dealers call Fibrenew...

I kind of think the original owner did the job a while ago, because it was clear when I bought it there was some damage/wear. It wasn't "brand new" looking. I just assumed without looking closely that it was typical leather cracking that needed some TLC. It's just flaked a bit more with me climbing in and out and inspecting it the past two weeks. If the dealer had done it or called Fibrenew, I would have thought it would've looked newer and probably lasted longer...

Whatever, it's a minor thing, the leather is not deeply cracked or ripped and it'll get us where we want to go!

Leatherique is a good leather care product line, but I've switched to Colour Lock. Easier to use and the results are a notch above Leatherique IMHO.
AA0ECEBD-5C6A-400B-A3D0-318C0EACF59F_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom