Working outside in the cold SUCKS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
My son is starting to part out his 4Runner, it's at my house now, and I want it stripped and GONE ASAP. We've been slammed with snow recently, and it's been REALLY cold lately, I think it was around 5deg when I got up this morning.

I ain't working on it, I'm too old for that crap. But, I'm looking for tips anyone can provide to make things easier. He's working outside, not on pavement, I can't see how he's gonna get the tranny and engine out without hurting himself. I have pretty much every tool imaginable, including air tools and a tranny jack.

Thanks...

If possible take tools into heated environ when not in use. A portable heater of even a quartz light offers some heat....Monday night was cooler but it looks like there's more snow o the way. Build a snow wall around this carcass and put a tarp over it:D

I'm afraid of making things too warm around the truck, if the snow and ice melt that it's sitting on now it will be a huge muddy mess. I have a propane "sunflower" heater, but I don't think it's gonna help at all.

What about one of those portable tent like garages? They're pretty cheap. Get a small heater in there - or heck the tent will at least keep the wind off etc.

What about one of those portable tent like garages? They're pretty cheap. Get a small heater in there - or heck the tent will at least keep the wind off etc.

get the tent garage and stop rushing your son. Work on it when it's warm..... or get out and help if...LOL ;)

get the tent garage and stop rushing your son. Work on it when it's warm..... or get out and help if...LOL ;)

Well, normally I wouldn't be too concerned about how long the thing sits here. But, I'm planning to put my house on the market in March-April, and I spent a bunch of time and $$$ cleaning the yard and outside up last Fall, so I can't have a junk truck sitting around for very long.

Argh... 4 more inches of snow this morning and it's still coming down. Last year at this time I was outside working in a T-shirt, parting out a turbo truck.

I have been there.....as it is cold here too. I would advise stripping interior and engine parts first, keeping the body intact/dry as much as possible. This might be an instance where selling some quick parts makes sense before calling the scrappers to pick it up.

I have a nice set of winter gloves that I cut several finger tips off of. That helps. Just standing next to a kerosene heater also helps.

Tarps and space heater. Make a tent over the rig with a tarp and heat it with a space heater. We do this a lot with broken down heavy equipment. Some propane heaters are pretty cheap but work well.

Get a tarp over it if possible but with the heavy snow you guys are getting it may not help, put on and bunny suit and some mechanics gloves and tell him to suck it up. If working in the cold won't motivate him to get it done quickly maybe calling the salvage yard to pick it up isn't a bad idea.

If you have a plasma or access to one it'll speed things along for sure, especially the engine and tranny removal. Heck a gas torch w/ a cutting head might be an idea then he make a small pile of rubber bits and make a small fire....okay maybe not.:idea:

I've worked worked outdoors at MSP and Duluth, MN in January/February and it SUCKS. What makes it worse is when you're performing tasks that require high dexterity and its -30* and the wind is blowing like mad.

Well, normally I wouldn't be too concerned about how long the thing sits here. But, I'm planning to put my house on the market in March-April, and I spent a bunch of time and $$$ cleaning the yard and outside up last Fall, so I can't have a junk truck sitting around for very long.

Argh... 4 more inches of snow this morning and it's still coming down. Last year at this time I was outside working in a T-shirt, parting out a turbo truck.

sometimes humour isn't passed thru in writing on the internet.... but I was trying to be funny... LOL

If you stick it in a tent thou it will be less of an eyesore.

Fastest way to get rid of the vehicle is to call the scrap yard.

... That's probably the most sane thing to do with the kind of weather we've been having!!! OTOH it's been milder in the last few days... Make it a party for friends, get a torch and buy the beer/coffee/cognac!

easy call me i can strip that thing in a day plus i need some parts off it

... That's probably the most sane thing to do with the kind of weather we've been having!!! OTOH it's been milder in the last few days... Make it a party for friends, get a torch and buy the beer/coffee/cognac!

X2

I have a forced air propane heater if needed. Have your son get thin polypro gloves then layer them with thin rubber gloves it will act as a vapor barrier. Have him lay on cardboard and wear thermals and a full face hat. Buy some disposable hand warmers and put them on the back of his hands between the gloves. (learned while hunting) Keep a few for the tools to sit on in a covered plastic box. I have done my share of out outdoor car wrenching in NH, hated ever minute of it, but these tips will help. I was over in Keene working in snow storms and 30 to -10. As for pulling the trans, tip the truck on it's side and then work. Remember to strap the parts he is pulling.

Great tips, Cattledog :) Sorry I can't be of help, I'm not in the area this Christmas :(

I know exactly what you need....an enclosed, heated shop. Working outside...are you nuts? That is seriously cold....:hillbilly: :flipoff2:

A well sealed Tempo with a construction space heater works in a pinch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom