Wont start when at operating temp! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 FJ80 with the 3FE engine.
The car will easily start cold, and run flawlessly. But when it gets to operating temp, and I shut it off, then it will crank but wont start. When it does not start, it the tach doesn't even wiggle like it does when it does start. the only solution I have found is to open the hood and wait about 5-10 minutes. Any thoughts?

Does the Check Engine Light come on when you turn the key to the start position? Not Cranking, just the first position when everything lights up. If not, it could be an issue with your EFI relay. Could also be fusible links. Search for @jonheld on the forum. He has a great write-up on his website.

I also have a comment in my history where you can find the part number for a newer relay (I think from the corolla or camry) that does not suffer from the overheating issue caused with the OEM metal relays. Jon's write-up will give you a more thorough route for diagnosis.

The car will easily start cold, and run flawlessly. But when it gets to operating temp, and I shut it off, then it will crank but wont start. When it does not start, it the tach doesn't even wiggle like it does when it does start. the only solution I have found is to open the hood and wait about 5-10 minutes. Any thoughts?
Does it have a "cooling fan"? Does it work? There is another thread going on right now about this...

Just a thought.

Did this start happening one day out of the blue or has this been more of a chronic problem?
As previously mentioned, you need to check for the "CHECK ENGINE" light (CEL) when you turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position before cranking the starter.
NO CEL=NO START

Did this start happening one day out of the blue or has this been more of a chronic problem?
As previously mentioned, you need to check for the "CHECK ENGINE" light (CEL) when you turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position before cranking the starter.
NO CEL=NO START
Hey John, I actually figured it out from one of your other posts. It was an overheating EFI relay. Replaced it with a new oem one. Sprayed with contact cleaner and put some thermally reflective tape arround the fusebox. Works like a charm now.

Hey John, I actually figured it out from one of your other posts. It was an overheating EFI relay. Replaced it with a new oem one. Sprayed with contact cleaner and put some thermally reflective tape arround the fusebox. Works like a charm now.
good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom