Wits’ End wasting time again but making ashtray less useless

Nice work Joey. I've got cash here, jigging up and down on the spot waiting for a link to the carling switch version! :hillbilly:

I'm happy to take a chance and be guinea pig for the early dash, and RHD.
Part number search shows the same ashtray assembly is common 80s from all years, all market's.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Nice work Joey. I've got cash here, jigging up and down on the spot waiting for a link to the carling switch version! :hillbilly:

I'm happy to take a chance and be guinea pig for the early dash, and RHD.
Part number search shows the same ashtray assembly is common 80s from all years, all market's.
Getting close. Was playing with the RAM and GoPro mount.

FF61D806-E05D-4296-A1C7-33D80B9DA0C8.jpeg

what RAM extension arm is that coming off the useless cubby insert? Looks to be metal, or at least better made that what I’m seeing on RAM’s website. Looks like that would get a tablet out of the sight line of the radio and far enough from the air vents to not block flow. Would love to see a pic including the tablet or whatever you have mounted on that arm.

2KCruiser

Everything 2KRacing, practically live here
Looking good Joey. You could also 3D Print a piece under as well for even more sh*t. I had to use a Jeep Mount that I trimmed.

20160617_164205.jpg

20160618_140721.jpg

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

what RAM extension arm is that coming off the useless cubby insert? Looks to be metal, or at least better made that what I’m seeing on RAM’s website. Looks like that would get a tablet out of the sight line of the radio and far enough from the air vents to not block flow. Would love to see a pic including the tablet or whatever you have mounted on that arm.
RAM-B-102-GOP1U

Rollinns

SILVER Star
Could you get 4 Carling switches in by rotating the bolts in the corners so they screw in from the sides (ends) instead of the front?

I like the idea that the front switchplate will be machined, but I wouldn't care if the hidden or mostly hidden support part(s) were not, as long as they weren't ugly or distracting.

If this works, you also may be able to reduce the machining cost by making the rear support piece out of sheet metal instead of machining it out of aluminum. I'm guessing laser cut or waterjet cut sheet metal is likely cheaper than CNC machined parts. Although machining the front switch plate will be more complicated since you now have to drill and tap into the sides.

If the rear support were sheet metal and taller, you might even be able to have a few tabs at the top that could bend outward and engage the bars that the ash tray slides on for more support, this may be needed to prevent it all from sagging (especially with a RAM mount). The taller sides would also hide the wiring slightly better.

Most wouldn't notice the sheet metal sides and support, and of those that do, most of them may not care since they are mostly concerned about the switches mounted to it or the item connected to the RAM mount. The front would also look cleaner and look more like the other areas of the dash with OEM switch openings.

What are your thoughts?

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

@Rollinns that was actually initial design BUT I have my metal shop loaded up with productions into the next two months. If I did sheet metal it would push this project out at least 2-2.5 months. By machining it I can have done in a couple weeks.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Joey you know nobody loves your gear more than me, I have almost one of everything you have produced even if it didnt go to my truck. but you got to get OUT and excercise man, walk hike or offroad move about Im 51 and watching you upload IG pics of hospital room over and over, get on it man, the useless s*** can wait. jus my 2 cents. BUT finish that turbo and fuel filter relocate.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Joey you know nobody loves your gear more than me, I have almost one of everything you have produced even if it didnt go to my truck. but you got to get OUT and excercise man, walk hike or offroad move about Im 51 and watching you upload IG pics of hospital room over and over, get on it man, the useless s*** can wait. jus my 2 cents. BUT finish that turbo and fuel filter relocate.
Ha! Yeah I know. I suffer with OCD so it doesn’t make things any easier :p

Top Bottom