Wits End Turbo Owners (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense. I think I'll monitor and see how adding a valve right at the manifold helps. I also went down this path because I was noticing oil seeping out of the breather/intake hose connection, so I was definitely pulling oil that direction. Also, for the purists, I did have to mess with the throttle cable routing bracket, angled and bent, to get that can to fit at the charcoal canister. I essentially need several different 90 fittings. One will fit there between the OCC and the power steering res to route that hose back toward the firewall.

Also, apologies my engine is normally cleaner than this ;) 😅

And if someone is local in Utah or when I'm home in the bay area, they can have my PETG prototype L bracket. I used it for 1000 miles before making a steel version and it held up great. I kinda miss the pink under the hood tbh lol.

1) regarding hose routing…
Why not just use hose hold down brackets or zip ties to route it towards firewall?

2) regarding prototype bracket

if you have it with you, can you take measurements of it? I can draw it up in CAD and share out here / maybe farm to someone with a CNC to make a bunch

Do you use OnShape?
This was for PETG so I made it thick. When I cut it from metal I just used 3/16" steel. I also enlarged every hole just a nudge for clearance because these are exact measurements. If you don't have onshape, I can export a SW file or something when I get to my computer. Doing this all on mobile.

On routing. The space there is pretty tight and when I just angled with the hose it felt kink imminent.

Do you use OnShape?
This was for PETG so I made it thick. When I cut it from metal I just used 3/16" steel. I also enlarged every hole just a nudge for clearance because these are exact measurements. If you don't have onshape, I can export a SW file or something when I get to my computer. Doing this all on mobile.

On routing. The space there is pretty tight and when I just angled with the hose it felt kink imminent.

Wow that is a fascinating software, very cool! I'm good with AutoCAD 2D and have no experience in the 3D realm.

Sorry for radio silence last week or so.

Catch cans arrived from Radium. They are definitely the “premium option” but damn they are incredible compared to the “budget option” I bought off Amazon. I’m doing a real life Hi/Low.

All the components feel very quality in terms to production and finishing. Inlet is packed with SS mesh to increase cooling surface area, while chamber is clear so that it’s easy to see how much mucky stuff if in there, and every orifice has well-fitting o-rings.

I bought 1/8” x 3” Aluminum flat bar to make the brackets for mounting. Also for anyone wondering, the pre-tapped hole on the fender is M8 (still need to confirm pitch). I’ll cut out the shape on bandsaw (used this project as the excuse to buy Swag Off-road table for portaband) then a 90 deg bend.

Time Est: ~ 3 hrs at a leisurely pace

Power Steering hi pressure line decided it was time to leak so that needs to be taken care before I can do OCC this weekend but I’ll have all the parts today. This forum continues to amaze me with the information available.

Power Steering hi pressure line decided it was time to leak so that needs to be taken care before I can do OCC this weekend but I’ll have all the parts today. This forum continues to amaze me with the information available.

Amazon Gates high pressure hose to the rescue but also do both low pressure hose too while you're at it. I think one of the pre-bent hose comes from a Previa or some such thing that you trim to make it work. You really need that pre-made elbow because that's exactly where both of my hoses sprung leaks in the middle of nowhere. Just fine pinhole leak then you gotta deal with the repair with a hot engine on a dusty trail. No fun.

NAPA carries the same high pressure hose too so check your prices.

Be sure to get the OEM tiny O ring that go inside the pump inlet where the hose comes in from the reservoir bottom, if you think you're going to disturb this hose for some reason. Otherwise, leave it alone if it isn't leaking.

Also get the double crush washer connected by a bridge from OEM. This one goes on the high pressure port on the pump and it's a critical piece.

Amazon Gates high pressure hose to the rescue but also do both low pressure hose too while you're at it. I think one of the pre-bent hose comes from a Previa or some such thing that you trim to make it work. You really need that pre-made elbow because that's exactly where both of my hoses sprung leaks in the middle of nowhere. Just fine pinhole leak then you gotta deal with the repair with a hot engine on a dusty trail. No fun.

NAPA carries the same high pressure hose too so check your prices.

Be sure to get the OEM tiny O ring that go inside the pump inlet where the hose comes in from the reservoir bottom, if you think you're going to disturb this hose for some reason. Otherwise, leave it alone if it isn't leaking.

Also get the double crush washer connected by a bridge from OEM. This one goes on the high pressure port on the pump and it's a critical piece.

Thanks for the tips!
I ordered the Gates hose from Amazon in "Used - Like New" condition for $26 so it was too good to pass up. Part arrived and was unopened so I'm good with it.

I'm headed to buy 3' of 3/8" ID (-6) and 1' of 5/8" ID (-10) of SAE 100 R6 hydraulic hose locally for the low pressure lines and pickup the double-banjo crush washer from dealership for $2.50. No plans to touch the reservoir to pump line or pump as "if it broke..." and I can visually see leak is on high pressure line at upper metal crimp thing.

Hopefully it will be a quick and clean job...certainly cleaner than rebuilding the front axle #neveragain

Thanks for the tips!
I ordered the Gates hose from Amazon in "Used - Like New" condition for $26 so it was too good to pass up. Part arrived and was unopened so I'm good with it.

I'm headed to buy 3' of 3/8" ID (-6) and 1' of 5/8" ID (-10) of SAE 100 R6 hydraulic hose locally for the low pressure lines and pickup the double-banjo crush washer from dealership for $2.50. No plans to touch the reservoir to pump line or pump as "if it broke..." and I can visually see leak is on high pressure line at upper metal crimp thing.

Hopefully it will be a quick and clean job...certainly cleaner than rebuilding the front axle #neveragain
I recommend doing as much on the PSas possible at once. I completely rebuilt my system in 7 events over 3 years and it sucked every time. Same mess each time.

Power steering lines replaced on Saturday with Parker push-lok 801 (pain in the dick because of space available but simple), so I was able to put in the oil catch cans today. Turns out my creaky steering noise for the last 2 weeks was actually because I have been neglecting the power steering 😭 (<50 miles driven on it so I’m not concerned)

For OCC:
I checked the intake hose and turbo for “fume residue” as a “pre oil catch can” data point. Keep in mind I only have about 1-1.5k miles since turbo install but on stock engine with 180k miles.

Photos show “fume residue” on the intake side. Minimal pooling on hard intake pieces. The “fume residue” on the rubber intake piece feels chemically fused to the surface.

Two oil catch cans installed: (1) pre-turbo intake and (2) intake manifold.

I made (2) brackets to mount the OCC’s to the body.

For pre-turbo intake, I used 1/8” x 3” aluminum with a simple “90-ish” degree bend to use threaded hole by the washer fluid reservoir. Bolt is M6x1.25 (I think but will confirm and update) with blue threadlock.

For Intake manifold, I replaced the throttle cable holder near the charcoal canister with a piece of aluminum angle using the stock bolt.

83CEA58C-58ED-485F-BB41-3D0FF914A6F1.jpeg

D97381BB-3263-4C96-9ABC-91D4671029E7.jpeg

F0D27B21-91F4-4729-A8E4-640C85ACC693.jpeg

98E5357D-AF7B-4DFC-820A-4E237E292785.jpeg

5EB4F95E-39EE-4C13-8F08-D63606EF6F4D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm dealing with a #5 cylinder misfire. Spark plugs went it last year with the turbo install, but realized I don't know which ones I need if I have to order a replacement. Also, is everyone else running OEM/Denso plug wires?

I'm dealing with a #5 cylinder misfire. Spark plugs went it last year with the turbo install, but realized I don't know which ones I need if I have to order a replacement. Also, is everyone else running OEM/Denso plug wires?
More inbound

Only ever use OEM wires. Anytime I see a po301-306 cel I assume bad plug, bad injector, bad injector connector, or bad spark plug tube seal allowing oil to foul the plug.

Only ever use OEM wires. Anytime I see a po301-306 cel I assume bad plug, bad injector, bad injector connector, or bad spark plug tube seal allowing oil to foul the plug.

Agree and would also add wire loom running by EGR tube - once I ruled out the things @NLXTACY mentioned a burned wire loom turned out to be the source of my misfire.

Everyone here running original knock sensors, or did you preemptively change em?

It's coming time to change my transmission filter and fluid. Would installing the tranny shift kit (in prep for future turbo) be detrimental without the turbo?

It's coming time to change my transmission filter and fluid. Would installing the tranny shift kit (in prep for future turbo) be detrimental without the turbo?
No. Some have done it to firm up an aging transmission as well. You will likely have firmer shifts without the turbo than with however.

No. Some have done it to firm up an aging transmission as well. You will likely have firmer shifts without the turbo than with however.
Yeah just did the “truck” version of the TransGo on a customer’s turbo install and the result was meh. On a non-turbo 80 the result was more noticeable. I may go firmer on the next install.

Yeah just did the “truck” version of the TransGo on a customer’s turbo install and the result was meh. On a non-turbo 80 the result was more noticeable. I may go firmer on the next install.
I haven't looked at the shift kits in about a year, is the "truck" version unusual for a turbo? Which is recommended for your turbo...are you considering recommending firmer for all kits going forward?

Maybe experiment moving this to the firmer detent?

20210720_112505.jpg

I was just reading through that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom