Builds wiseinvestor's budget build of "Big Slick" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gravel road is upper tremont road, and the lunch spot is at the Elkmont Truss Bridge over little river.
Thanks, that’s a short drive from me. I will check it out this weekend

Last edited:
Then you probably know that entering the park south of Townsend will save you about 14 hours vs. Gatlinburg.

Then you probably know that entering the park south of Townsend will save you about 14 hours vs. Gatlinburg.

👆 x10

Depending on traffic or how many bears there are, it may not be faster but it is damn sure a nicer/calmer drive. Even if you cut over on Wears Valley Road and bypass Pigeon Forge, you can take the 441 bypass from there. Or avoid that side altogether.

It's sort of a local secret (though not that secret), but there are actually two potential loops in Cades Cove. There is the normal paved loop, but if you go a few miles into the main loop, you can take a right at the old baptist church and hit Rich Mountain Rd, which if it is open, is the best drive in the GSMNP hands down. It is one way from Cades Cove and comes out below Townsend. Rarely used and amazing scenery. I have never been on that road and failed to see bears.

Another great road if you are ever back in the area is the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico to Santeetlha Lake, but before you get to Robbinsville, NC, there is an intersection at Strattons Gap. head north onto a FS Road and you will find all kinds of fun. Swan's Cabin and the trailhead for Stratton's Bald. Head south on River Rd, and you will also find all kinds of fun.

I have backpacked every inch of every trail in Joyce Kilmer Wilderness. Truly one of the amazing places on Earth.

👆 x10

Depending on traffic or how many bears there are, it may not be faster but it is damn sure a nicer/calmer drive. Even if you cut over on Wears Valley Road and bypass Pigeon Forge, you can take the 441 bypass from there. Or avoid that side altogether.

It's sort of a local secret (though not that secret), but there are actually two potential loops in Cades Cove. There is the normal paved loop, but if you go a few miles into the main loop, you can take a right at the old baptist church and hit Rich Mountain Rd, which if it is open, is the best drive in the GSMNP hands down. It is one way from Cades Cove and comes out below Townsend. Rarely used and amazing scenery. I have never been on that road and failed to see bears.

Another great road if you are ever back in the area is the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico to Santeetlha Lake, but before you get to Robbinsville, NC, there is an intersection at Strattons Gap. head north onto a FS Road and you will find all kinds of fun. Swan's Cabin and the trailhead for Stratton's Bald. Head south on River Rd, and you will also find all kinds of fun.

I have backpacked every inch of every trail in Joyce Kilmer Wilderness. Truly one of the amazing places on Earth.
Great intel, I will hang on to this. I wanted to do rich mountain road from the north (Old Cades cove road,) but for some reason I thought it was closed nov - may. I only chose upper Tremont because it wasn't paved. It is a gravel road with a few bridges a waterfall and ends at a trailhead. Thanks again.

👆 x10

I have backpacked every inch of every trail in Joyce Kilmer Wilderness. Truly one of the amazing places
Great intel, I will hang on to this. I wanted to do rich mountain road from the north (Old Cades cove road,) but for some reason I thought it was closed nov - may. I only chose upper Tremont because it wasn't paved. It is a gravel road with a few bridges a waterfall and ends at a trailhead. Thanks again.
It opens April 9th. I will take tomorrow to check out Upper Tremont and littler river bridge you mentioned.

Yeah, its been a while and back in the day it was periodically closed depending on weather. Also, for anybody else reading this, it is only one way traffic going from Cades Cove. From Old Cades Cove Rd, I think it is two way only up to the Rich Mountain Trail trailhead. Beyond that it is one way oncoming.

Tremont is a nice drive. Also a lot of bears in that area. That area is like a jungle in the spring and summer. The greenery is so thick that it deadens the sound around you. Its no wonder that people get lost and are found less than mile from the trail but never hear the rescuers yelling for them.

I love the west coast, but it's hard not to miss the forests in the east.

Anyhoo, sorry for the digression.

Great build and awesome rig! I really appreciate that you’re open about the decision making process and how or why you’ve had a change of heart on some things.

Now that you’ve had the 275/70/R18 for awhile, are you still happy you went that direction?

Now that you’ve had the 275/70/R18 for awhile, are you still happy you went that direction?
Thank you. In short, yes I would make the same tire choice again. I wouldn't want anything bigger for my application.

Pressurized water at camp and Camp Showers
This is a follow up on what I have been doing with my water situation. @grinchy

I use water in two ways....
1. Camp cooking / cleaning / drinking (rarely)
2. Hot Showers.

The first happens more often than the second, but it was important to me to have a good solution for camp showering.

For pressurized water at camp you need the following. A container of water, a pump, and electricity to operate the pump.

For showers it's more complicated
Container of Water, a pump, electricity, a water heater, propane, a shower enclosure.

With this version of my water solution, I wanted to make the unit modular for several reasons.
20210613_174735.jpg

I wanted my water container to be easily removed from the vehicle to fill up on the road.
I kept it simple with the Jerry Can. It has a pressure valve in the lid which is mandatory for my application.

20210613_174742.jpg

I cut off the threads on the lid and attached a very good quick fitting.
I ran a tube to the bottom. Easy Peasy.

20210613_174922.jpg
20210613_174925.jpg

For the pump box I basically looked for a container that a shurflo pump would fit in. I went with a Hinged Electrical Junction Box from Polycase.
It is solid. Watertight when closed, but easily accessible for pump service.

20210613_174749.jpg

The 2.3 gallon a min on demand Shurflo pump fits perfectly. It is important to have enough water pressure to kick on a portable propane water heater. This pump accomplishes this.

20210613_175124.jpg

I put in a vent for air, 12 v power plug, a switch, and two quick fittings.

20210613_175130.jpg

20210613_175134.jpg

The mounting flange at the bottom is easily removable.

My propane water heater is about 3 - 4 years old and still working well. It is a Camp Chef but I'm sure there are dozens of brands stamped on the same units.
I have attached a propane quick connect and water line quick connects to the heater. Everything is on quick connects and no tools need to set up/ tear down.

I have two lines (Jerry to pump, Pump to water heater)

20210613_174802.jpg

Nicely done. Liking all the little detail.

Nice to have it all segmented. I’ve seen the heater and pump in a single case, but it gets kinda big and heavy.

Nice to have it all segmented. I’ve seen the heater and pump in a single case, but it gets kinda big and heavy.
I agree. Most times the whole shower isn't needed and the enclosure and heater can be left at home.
Sometimes it's nice to just be able to rinse off a frying pan and hose off some sandy or muddy feet.

I can use the unit away from the truck if needed (with a power source or 12v extension cord.)
I can bring multiple jerry cans depending on my water needs.
I can fill / refill them up fairly easily at a campground or on the road.
I'm less worried about water leaks with this setup.
Due to the quick connects I can switch between applications easily and with no tools
It doesn't really matter where I put the jerry cans in the vehicle... the pump will bring the water to the needed location.
I run it out the rear drivers side door for showers and out the back for most other applications.
I have the ability to take a hot shower anywhere.
I have a Kelty shower enclosure as well as a quick pitch ensuite (which I am still figuring out.)

Nothing is perfect and there are always pros and cons. But after a couple years of fiddling, I'm liking this setup right now.

That's some water pressure right there.

Do you have any way to throttle the flow? Perhaps an inline valve that can be adjusted? I find it can help make water last, especially with kids, by being able to turn down the flow.

That's some water pressure right there.

Do you have any way to throttle the flow? Perhaps an inline valve that can be adjusted? I find it can help make water last, especially with kids, by being able to turn down the flow.
LOL I did that on purpose to illustrate. Surprisingly the sprayer has pretty good control and can go down to a mist.
I have another adapter I use for unrestricted flow.... (fill up a bucket, or kettle) It works well.
My showerhead restricts flow and can be turned on and off at the showerhead.
That's actually my favorite thing. Turn off the shower head.... the on demand pump goes off, the heater goes off.
As you know... 40 liters (2 jerry cans) can actually go a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom