Wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of putting the 3FE into my 82 land cruiser. The wiring harness that I have was cut in two places. The first is at the plug right behind the fuse box that runs to the back of the rig and also cut right at the back of the rear door on the drivers side. I was trying to find an easy solution to both of these issues but have not had any luck. Hopefully someone out there has some sort of an idea. the one in the rear is a total of 23 wires. I was thinking 23 butt connectors would be too much bulk and just connecting them by twisting with heat shrink, I figured would cause a bad ground down the road. I don't know if I have the room for a 23 pin connector but maybe I do. I just want to hear of some ideas people may have out there.
IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg

Wiring a 24 pin connector would be no easy feat either. You'd definitely need the proper crimping tool for that many wires.
If I was faced with your hell, I'd break up the nightmare into groups of four (any four) and stagger the 4 pin connectors along the length so they don't all line up at one spot. It's easy to find 4 pin connectors and it would make troubleshooting easier down the line.
I'd go for weatherproof connectors. Crimp with the proper tool

Wiring a 24 pin connector would be no easy feat either. You'd definitely need the proper crimping tool for that many wires.
If I was faced with your hell, I'd break up the nightmare into groups of four (any four) and stagger the 4 pin connectors along the length so they don't all line up at one spot. It's easy to find 4 pin connectors and it would make troubleshooting easier down the line.
I'd go for weatherproof connectors. Crimp with the proper tool

I also had this thought. Sadly I don't know if I have enough room to do that. It might be my last resort though. There is quite a bit of room underneath that cover between the door and seat so I might be able to go wider. I was thinking about doing the weather stuff as it just makes more sense being right next to the door.

That's an easy one. Take some VERY GOOD pictures of those two connectors and how the wires go in. Then, de-pin the Toyota connectors on the side that's cut. You should be able to get replacement pins from somewhere like Ballenger Motorsport Ballenger Motorsports - High Performance Electronics Just go slow, take your time, and then you have a factory connection that will work. I have not had good luck splicing a ton of wires at the same time like that, I've tried. One bad connection will have you playing wiring Wack-a-mole.

That's an easy one. Take some VERY GOOD pictures of those two connectors and how the wires go in. Then, de-pin the Toyota connectors on the side that's cut. You should be able to get replacement pins from somewhere like Ballenger Motorsport Ballenger Motorsports - High Performance Electronics Just go slow, take your time, and then you have a factory connection that will work. I have not had good luck splicing a ton of wires at the same time like that, I've tried. One bad connection will have you playing wiring Wack-a-mole.
Haven’t heard of that place but it has been nearly impossible to find the same connectors as Toyota’s

I am sure @ToyotaMatt would be delighted to help. He's good with the OEM wiring stuff supplies

Haven’t heard of that place but it has been nearly impossible to find the same connectors as Toyota’s

thats not true ,

most OEM TOYOTA land cruiser connectors i say at least 60-70% can still be

Had out Of JAPAN

all you need is one of these :

this is my MOST Coveted FSM , and one that opened many doors along the way .....

i keep it stored in a archival jacket at all times

it may have your Needed 24 PIN ?

DSCN1168.JPG
DSCN1169.JPG
DSCN1170.JPG

thats not true ,

most OEM TOYOTA land cruiser connectors i say at least 60-70% can still be

Had out Of JAPAN

all you need is one of these :

this is my MOST Coveted FSM , and one that opened many doors along the way .....

i keep it stored in a archival jacket at all times

it may have your Needed 24 PIN ?

View attachment 2258542View attachment 2258543View attachment 2258544
The connector doesn’t really matter for the one it’s more of the connectors that are needed. They are abnormal to what I have been able to find.

The connector doesn’t really matter for the one it’s more of the connectors that are needed. They are abnormal to what I have been able to find.

can u post a photo of every single one u need ?

i can see what i have

and

if i don't have in-stock , i can try to locate Globally

yes it's time consuming ........

But bitter sweet when u can simply Plug and Play the JDM way ........

the one thing you have going for you is the later model harness

i have hunted many years for a few i only recently sourced for my 2 Wire Fuel
Cut Solenoids i offer

2 pin first generation sealed splash proof made by SUMITOMO co. JAPAN ......

OEM TOYOTA Parts maker......

if not using the 24 pin housings is NOT practical or do-able ?

then i would go with qty x 3 , / 8 pin .250 series / 6.3mm locking latching types shown below

they are easier to work with and ma be a bit more familiar to you as well ....\

the black updated last revision ones are UV and Heat Resistant and BOMB proof too

DSCN1175.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG

can u post a photo of every single one u need ?

i can see what i have

and

if i don't have in-stock , i can try to locate Globally

yes it's time consuming ........

But bitter sweet when u can simply Plug and Play the JDM way ........

the one thing you have going for you is the later model harness

i have hunted many years for a few i only recently sourced for my 2 Wire Fuel
Cut Solenoids i offer

2 pin first generation sealed splash proof made by SUMITOMO co. JAPAN ......

OEM TOYOTA Parts maker......

I am confusing everyone now I think. Lol. It’s the pins that I can’t find. The connector works well just need the pins so I can reconnect the wires. It was mainly the big chunk of wire I was trying to find a cure for

if not using the 24 pin housings is NOT practical or do-able ?

then i would go with qty x 3 , / 8 pin .250 series / 6.3mm locking latching types shown below

they are easier to work with and ma be a bit more familiar to you as well ....\

the black updated last revision ones are UV and Heat Resistant and BOMB proof too

View attachment 2258565View attachment 2258566
Can I buy these off your site?

Can I buy these off your site?

i dont really list connectors there yet ,

maybe one day soon :D

i have 3 large out buildings packed with a life time of TOYOTA Genuine parts Hording !

if u make me a list of what all you think u need , sure i will put together a KIT for you

based off your tailored needs currently

i also have been harvesting Toyota Used Connectors since High skool in the 1990's

so i have all sorts of stuff in that regard

but working with ALL New Japan parts simply ROCKS ...........

89620-60060jpg.image.500 x400.jpg

@ToyotaMatt he needs the terminals for his existing connectors.
@garrett goodwin look up how to de-pin connectors. There is a specific tool intended for this, any small sharp pick-type tool will work really. Then pull one of the wires out of each of your connectors and post a picture of each type of terminal.

Or, going another route, you could just make a stand alone harness for the engine. Not too difficult, pm me if you're open to going that route

Or, going another route, you could just make a stand alone harness for the engine. Not too difficult, pm me if you're open to going that route

@ToyotaMatt he needs the terminals for his existing connectors.
@garrett goodwin look up how to de-pin connectors. There is a specific tool intended for this, any small sharp pick-type tool will work really. Then pull one of the wires out of each of your connectors and post a picture of each type of terminal.

Here are some photos of the pins that are on the connector.
20200403_080023.jpg
20200403_080120.jpg
20200403_080130.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom