wiring diagrams, notations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

georgebj60

SILVER Star
Threads
I just finished restoring my rear license plate light, but it's not working. This is the first time something didn't work after I did my diesel swap (FJ-HJ). Now I know the wiring is mostly the same between the 12V and 24V trucks, and since my HJ wiring diagram is too blurry to read, I'm using the FJ60 diagrams. But I can't read electrical schematics worth a crap, so can someone help me out? What does W-B mean? "G" I can assume is ground, yes?

Right now, there is no power getting to the connector at the tailgate. The bulbs are new, and test fine.

I guess what would really help is to know the colour of the wiring, and does that continue throughout the vehicle? My license plate bulb wiring looks like it's green with black dashes on it. But it's old and a bit dirty, and there are other wires that look pretty much the same so it's hard to trace this back. Shouldn't the colour of the wiring be noted on the wiring diagrams?

Any help appreciated.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 21.52.36.png

tempImageDK0oIF.png

The coloring is notated, did you read the first page of the electrical section? Are
You using an actual FSM or just PDF looking at one page at a time? If you open the whole thing you’d see the picture of the battery at the beginning and you’d see that the whole lower section is ground and the upper section is positive.
G - Green, positive, W-B is White w/ Black tracer stripe, that’s the ground.

More color nomenclature, there are others:

R - red

R-B - red w/black stripe

W - white

W-G - white w/green stripe

L - light blue

etc.

First letter(s) before the hyphen are the main color of the wire, after the hyphen is the stripe color, if any.

1627480893993.png

Reactions: OSS
The wiring diagram from my 84-90 body and chassis manual shows the license plate lamps are grounded locally (to the body?) whereas your diagram shows them going back to one of the identified ground points. I would start by making sure you have positive voltage to one side of the bulb socket (with the headights turned on) and continuity to ground from the other side of the bulb socket.

1627481517772.png

Use a dvom and check for ground. If ground is good then go after the power issue. Aside from a broken wire it looks like it’s just a fuse. Unless I’m missing a connector somewhere.

Thanks for all the replies. I will get back at this and see if I can figure it out. The fuse is good, so there's that. I'll report back....

Thanks for all the replies. I will get back at this and see if I can figure it out. The fuse is good, so there's that. I'll report back....
check for power at the fuse when the headlights are on. IF you have power there then likely a wire issue to the back. If no power at the fuse then check between fuse and battery.

I can't figure out which fuse the license lamps are running through, but I would assume tail/stop. I pulled that one out and all my marker and taillights went out. So I think I have power at the fuse. I will try to chase wires from the rear to the front.

To be clear, the license lamps should illuminate with either the headlights on, or parking lights on, correct? I've tested both ways and neither work.

Ok, thanks. I'll go digging further when I get a chance. I'll follow-up here with what I find...

Ok, thanks. I'll go digging further when I get a chance. I'll follow-up here with what I find...
Did you end up solving this issue? I’m in the same boat I think. I’ve got a 1984 fj60 and the wire is bad that goes to the license plate lights. I’m about to dive into it, but not sure where the wire runs. Hoping you solved the issue and could point me in the right direction before I waste too much time!

I added wiring for a back-up camera on my ‘88 62 and noted that the wire feeding the license plate light was broken at the grommet that goes from tailgate to under the rear cargo deck. The wire, White-Black strip, is routed under the cargo deck to the drivers side cargo panel.

This is from a FJ62, but may help:

Did you end up solving this issue? I’m in the same boat I think. I’ve got a 1984 fj60 and the wire is bad that goes to the license plate lights. I’m about to dive into it, but not sure where the wire runs. Hoping you solved the issue and could point me in the right direction before I waste too much time!
No, I haven't had a chance to get back in there to take a look. Sorry I can't be of much help right now.

I added wiring for a back-up camera on my ‘88 62 and noted that the wire feeding the license plate light was broken at the grommet that goes from tailgate to under the rear cargo deck. The wire, White-Black strip, is routed under the cargo deck to the drivers side cargo panel.

This is from a FJ62, but may help:
Awesome! This will be helpful I’m sure, and at the very least give me a starting point. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom