Wiper Motor Issue With Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I apologize for the highjack. Matt, where do you get the your factory connectors? This winter I plan on pulling my harness and fixing some PO shenanigans.

no hijack here , your all good , no worries

shoot me a PM please , we can then focus better on your Connector needs ......... :)

Why don’t I just drop this in the mail for you today with a few new OEM solid brass terminals too

if you can wait send me a private message with Your shipping addy. etc

it ships this morning soon.............

There is no cost involved .....fyi

Just mud-ship at work ..... :cool:

View attachment 2402784View attachment 2402785
Matt, thank you very much for sending me the harness and connectors. I rewired everything and same issue. The washer motor works but the wiper motor does nothing. I have verified that the wire is live so I have to assume it is a ground issue. Looking at my first post picture of the motor, where would you suggest run a ground wire. Last time I grounded the motor at the lower front left screw of the motor and attached it to the negative terminal. By the way, I can’t wait to see the radio you are sending me.

I have always seen a Ground Wire on any 2F era Lower mount wiper motor , in lock step and tandem with the other 2 or 3 wires attached to the small circut board on the round gear box face ?

i see a bare silver round contact , and maybe 2 of them ?

it's time to call in a
" Real " expert on this topic & My Solid Mud Buddy Friend
@Coolerman :)

i will continue to hunt for a first generation 2F wiper motor image we can refer to for our needed TECH here ..........

matt

here is your exact early motor , Sad its dirty and hard to make out .........

lets start bt adding a ring terminal to one of the small motor face plate phillips head screws and then take that to a 6mm ring terminal and

mount it to one of the 4 main 6mm mounting bolts directly to you windshield frame ....

see what heppens and report back

- i have indeed seen 2 times in my life a GROUND-LESS NEG- Signal windshield frame on a 40 , in other words , NO electrical contact of any kind NEG- ground type between the Body TUB and the entire windshield frame itself .

due to corroded main tilt down hinges and there dowel pins and bushings etc ,

Remedy ?

Eazy Peezy :D

remove the 2 black Thumb Wheel bolts , and tilt that puppy all the way down to the hood bumper rests , move up and down full range of motion MORE then several times , like at least 21 times ! YES 21 + if you can

then reset the frame to the body via the 2 black thumb wheel bolts

this should re-establish the missing NEG- ground signal

if not , you will have to run a 16ga gauge dedicated ground wire from your body tub to the same 6mm wiper motor bolt and the ring terminal
you are using for the small wiper motor mini ground sub harness so both make direct contact

if you follow me here ?

My Advice : Leave ZERO to Chance , Expect Anything , Ground Everything , Overlook Nothing ! :idea:

1597534388768.png

here is your exact early motor , Sad its dirty and hard to make out .........

lets start bt adding a ring terminal to one of the small motor face plate phillips head screws and then take that to a 6mm ring terminal and

mount it to one of the 4 main 6mm mounting bolts directly to you windshield frame ....

see what heppens and report back

- i have indeed seen 2 times in my life a GROUND-LESS NEG- Signal windshield frame on a 40 , in other words , NO electrical contact of any kind NEG- ground type between the Body TUB and the entire windshield frame itself .

due to corroded main tilt down hinges and there dowel pins and bushings etc ,

Remedy ?

Eazy Peezy :D

remove the 2 black Thumb Wheel bolts , and tilt that puppy all the way down to the hood bumper rests , move up and down full range of motion MORE then several times , like at least 21 times ! YES 21 + if you can

then reset the frame to the body via the 2 black thumb wheel bolts

this should re-establish the missing NEG- ground signal

if not , you will have to run a 16ga gauge dedicated ground wire from your body tub to the same 6mm wiper motor bolt and the ring terminal
you are using for the small wiper motor mini ground sub harness so both make direct contact

if you follow me here ?

My Advice : Leave ZERO to Chance , Expect Anything , Ground Everything , Overlook Nothing ! :idea:

View attachment 2405460
Matt,
Thanks! I will give that a try.

Matt,
Thanks! I will give that a try.

do you see the extra bare contact off the circut board on your motor i speak of ?

use a continuity tester and see if its a ground point of not ?

then report back , it looks as if it could be .......

do you see the extra bare contact off the circut board on your motor i speak of ?

Matt,
I am heading out of town, but will check when I get back. I actually recall two bare contacts when I took things apart today. I’ll send better pics and test them Friday, when I am hopefully installing your radio. Thanks for all of your help!

If you haven't figured out the issue yet, in December I was having trouble with my wiper motor. It was an early 70's top mounted one but I believe the motor is more or less the same. If it is wired up correctly it may be one or more of the brushes being worn to the point that they don't make contact anymore. I've read on some other threads that you can get new brushes from Ace hardware.

If you haven't figured out the issue yet, in December I was having trouble with my wiper motor. It was an early 70's top mounted one but I believe the motor is more or less the same. If it is wired up correctly it may be one or more of the brushes being worn to the point that they don't make contact anymore. I've read on some other threads that you can get new brushes from Ace hardware.
Thanks! I have checked the brush contacts and they seem to be fine. I am pretty certain that it a grounding issue.

Matt,
I checked the continuity on the bare contacts and nothing. Interestingly, I started checking the continuity on all 4 of the wiper wires and two did not show continuity or were showing continuity with a different wire on the harness. It seems like the last owner must have mixed up wires. Stupid me decided to cut the wires at the harness and wire them with the proper colored wires. Guess, what. Nothing. Now even the wiper sprayer isn't working. I have no idea where to start back with this now. If anyone has a wiper wiring diagram, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post it.

There are also 2 wires that flip flop colors at the connector, at least on the top mount wiper motor. This usually causes problems when you run them on high.

Browse through @Coolerman website and dig up the wiper info.

ok

here is a detailed 1980 EWD, it does not get more detailed then this , all the fundamental info should be the same i think ?

if anyone can add to this diagrams post please input , i personally feel strongly the Burned up connector and the ARC liek appearance may have friued the motor or at least the wiper 24" approx sub harness at the least ?

we will see ............ 🤔

this is your road map to a correct repair path , you can do it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom