New Kenwood keeps blowing dome fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 40th Anniversary model.

Hoping to find some guidance. I've searched and found mentions of needing to provide a new power source for upgraded stereos.

I am using a patch harness to connect between the stereo harness and the factory one. I've installed countless car stereos through the years. Nothing else was touched during installation.

Here is what is happening. As key turns to ACC the stereo powers on, then just as power antenna begins to extend, the dome fuse in the engine box pops.

So I found the article about needing a new power source for aftermarket stereos and tap a new one for the yellow wire providing constant power for stereo memory (since that is what is pulling from dome circuit). Dome fuse pops again.

Thinking maybe I misunderstood, I undo the above and provide new ACC power to red wire, Dome fuse pops again. (with dome lights switched off)

Then with new power source to yellow memory wire, I disconnected the power antenna plugs going into wheel well from engine bay. New power source fuse pops.

For now, the only way I have the stereo working is with a new 10a power for yellow stereo wire, power antenna plugs disconnected in engine bay and no dome fuse.

If I plug the dome fuse in, it will pop the 10a power I ran (but not the dome fuse). If I use a 15a fuse for power (stereo unit fuse is 15a), then the stereos fuse pops.

I don't believe I have a ground out anywhere. If I plug the factory stereo back in to its plug, all is operating as normal.

My next idea is to unplug the antenna ECU. Maybe it still draws from the circuit when the stereo powers on?

Open to any guidance. Thanks.

Last edited:
I had this happen when I first installed my aftermarket head unit. Depending on the harness adapter you used, you may need to disconnect the factory amplifier. Behind the passenger side speaker in the dash in front of the ECU - simply unplug it and see if that resolves your issue.

It was the amp! All else has been returned to stock configuration and working well.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to find somewhere to prop this PITA up against a wall for target practice.

* Odd that because I was using the non-amp two plug harness I figured it would've been completely out of the equation. But obviously it still pulls power from the circuit maybe due to the amp-on remote wire. Maybe could've just not connected that remote wire, but at least now I have a little more room for upgraded speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom