Windshield rubber change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Gents,
Im planning on painting my LJ78. It is a 4 door wagon. If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere in the forum that there is a risk of accidentally breaking the windshield glass when replacing the rubber.
Is this true please ? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

Hi Gents,
Im planning on painting my LJ78. It is a 4 door wagon. If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere in the forum that there is a risk of accidentally breaking the windshield glass when replacing the rubber.
Absolutely. I broke my windshield trying to remove mine to take out the rubber.

I ended up cutting the backside of mine off to get mine out after breaking the windshield.

IMG_4862.jpeg

When I had my windshield replaced on my HZJ77, the glass guy just cut the rubber off from the outside. You should replace the rubber every time the glass comes out anyways.

Hi Gents,

I just took mine out for other reasons but... pretty easy, just take your time and carefully cut around the outside until you can lift it out without trying to pry it out. if you pry it out? it will break. your not going to be able to re-use the rubber weather seal anyways. it's probably got some adhesive on it.

this is my favorite blade for this kind of stuff, works well and allows you control the dept of cut. should fit into most standard box cutting types.
blade.jpg

I replaced my windshield this weekend. The glass broke coming out. I didn't care, because I was replacing the glass anyway.

The key is patience, lots of sharp razors, and heat. There is sealant/glue under the seal, and only heat would release that sealant.

The windshield breaks SUPER easily when pressing on the edges. I would dedicate at least 2-3 hours to removing it.

sounds like your changing the weatherstrip, so absolutely cut it out. but, you stand almost as much chance breaking the glass installing if you try to rush and force it.

ive done mine a couple times now, take your time and work slowly, its not bad really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom