Windshield Paranoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a rock chip on my 3 month old '17 LC during a round trip between the Bay Area and Portland. Was a small divit in the top driver side part of the windshield. 1.5 months later it suddenly begins to show a 20" long hairline crack across the driver side. Good thing I changed my comprehensive coverage to a $0 deductible (cost me $10 more every 6 months). I go to have it done at Techna Glass and they were great. They got the OEM glass from the dealership ($900 and change for glass and gasket + labor for a grand total of ~$1200). I got a good look at it and there was a wire dongle hanging off the bottom of the windshield that I believe plugs into the head unit for the Lane Departure system, radar cruise, and other sensors. The other thing that I wasn't prepared for was that the system has to be recalibrated at the dealership ($130-180). So after I get the windshield replaced I had to drop it off at the dealership for them to calibrate it. It is going to take them longer then expected so the gave me a RAV4 loaner for the night. I would hate to have an Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, or Tesla with all the autonomous features cause the calibration on those probably takes 2-3x longer. Bottom line is I wouldn't trust anything but OEM glass. Went with cheap glass on my '99 Trooper and it didn't last a winter before it went, also you could see imperfections in the glass.

I had to replace my windshield last month, to a tune of $1050.

The OE glass is extremely hearty, but a big a$$ rock eventually killed mine.

ETA: Uh, my new OE glass most definitely did not need my system to be recalibrated. What reasoning did they give?

...The windshield should come with the wiper blade de-icer, easy to connect once the windshield is mounted.
When I purchased my Cruiser, I thought Toyota did not equip the vehicle with this feature (I live in a winter snow area and it matters to me). It was one of the negatives that were factored into my decision. Is this functionality actually present? There is no switch. How would I be able to determine if this is present?

Never mind. Page 380 of the manual explains this... :doh:

Last edited:
my 2011 LX570 with factory windshield got hit by an acorn and had a 2mm dent. slightly visible. I really don't want to let 3rd party repair service touch it, unless it's just a local repair. If I take it to Lexus dealership do you think they'll know what they are doing? I'm referring to all the sealing and moulding nightmares... Much appreciated!

Almost no dealership does this repair "in-house." instead, they have those 3rd party repair folks swing by and do it. If you choose to use OEM glass, the dealership would most likely provide that to the installer. My recommendation would be for you to contact the dealership for info/quote and see what you're comfortable with.

Almost no dealership does this repair "in-house." instead, they have those 3rd party repair folks swing by and do it. If you choose to use OEM glass, the dealership would most likely provide that to the installer. My recommendation would be for you to contact the dealership for info/quote and see what you're comfortable with.

Excellent info and advice! Just what I would do.

I was one-day on the road with my new LC and took a significant rock hit going through New Mexico at 3 o'clock in the morning. Sounded bad, but turned out to be just a nick in the glass. I was lucky. Three weeks later driving out of Cincinnati a dump truck pulled out in front of me coming out on an entrance ramp. It made me nervous because he was hemorrhaging rocks so I quickly pulled over on to the passing lane. It didn't help. I still took a shrapnel hit mid windshield. This resulted in a few more scratches but it didn't break. Cerium oxide may polish out the later, don't know. I've never been very nervous about my windshield's, and I'm hoping that with two bad hits it won't be "three strikes and you're out"! Perhaps these OEM windscreens are tuff, but I don't want another chance to find out. However, with a road trip to Alaska this summer I don't know how I will avoid another, perhaps fatal hit.
Just curious, did you get it repaired after the first and second hit? how is it now? No spreading I guess? I took one acorn hit today on my 2011 LX, very loud, very scary (sounded like a huge rock), but only a <2mm glass chip. I'm having Safelite repairing it but I don't like these generic guys in general. I wonder if Lexus dealership has a more specialized technique.

Got a rock chip on my 3 month old '17 LC during a round trip between the Bay Area and Portland. Was a small divit in the top driver side part of the windshield. 1.5 months later it suddenly begins to show a 20" long hairline crack across the driver side. Good thing I changed my comprehensive coverage to a $0 deductible (cost me $10 more every 6 months). I go to have it done at Techna Glass and they were great. They got the OEM glass from the dealership ($900 and change for glass and gasket + labor for a grand total of ~$1200). I got a good look at it and there was a wire dongle hanging off the bottom of the windshield that I believe plugs into the head unit for the Lane Departure system, radar cruise, and other sensors. The other thing that I wasn't prepared for was that the system has to be recalibrated at the dealership ($130-180). So after I get the windshield replaced I had to drop it off at the dealership for them to calibrate it. It is going to take them longer then expected so the gave me a RAV4 loaner for the night. I would hate to have an Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, or Tesla with all the autonomous features cause the calibration on those probably takes 2-3x longer. Bottom line is I wouldn't trust anything but OEM glass. Went with cheap glass on my '99 Trooper and it didn't last a winter before it went, also you could see imperfections in the glass.
Do you think having the LX glass replaced at a Lexus dealer, the dealer will (naturally) supply the products, but will they also watch the 3rd party guy do it properly? The LC and LX has the six clips/pins and special moulding, if not done right water will slowly leak in, and this is what I'm most concerned about.

Do you think having the LX glass replaced at a Lexus dealer, the dealer will (naturally) supply the products, but will they also watch the 3rd party guy do it properly? The LC and LX has the six clips/pins and special moulding, if not done right water will slowly leak in, and this is what I'm most concerned about.

Doubt a dealer will watch a third party instal glass.

I'll mention it again, but the Lexus dealer is not going to replace the glass. They will have a 3rd party do it, which is most likely the same folks you'd have do it through your insurance. As far as doing it properly, you really should reach out to your dealership since this is clearly a concern for you. You'll probably have more confidence after talking with them and hearing it first hand.

I will tell you that I have had to repair my windshield and I did not use a dealership. I called my insurance, and they pretty much told me who they'd use. Instead of making a claim, I just called up their first pick and had them drive over and do it. Before starting, they called the Lexus dealer to ensure they had everything.

They aren’t gonna pay a tech to watch a guy install a windshield that the tech has likely never installed before anyway... ;)

...The LC and LX has the six clips/pins and special moulding, if not done right water will slowly leak in...

The rivets on a 200 don't seem to leak as easily as those on a 100.. Or at least there haven't been many reports of issues so far.

But yes the clips do all need to be changed. Nearly impossible to get the trim out without damaging them.

I’m on my 3rd windhield on my ‘13 LX and have have 3 filled chips and 2 that need to be filled on this one. My G500 I had prior to this I think I did 5 or 6 windshields in 7 years I had it. All done at safelite on the LX, the G I had to do through the MB dealer.

I’m on my 3rd windhield on my ‘13 LX and have have 3 filled chips and 2 that need to be filled on this one. My G500 I had prior to this I think I did 5 or 6 windshields in 7 years I had it. All done at safelite on the LX, the G I had to do through the MB dealer.
Thanks for the note, so you think Safelite (at least near you) are capable doing LX?

I dont suffer from windshield paranoia anymore. I learn to live with my chips, all 5-6 of them.

Looking for one of these madmax for 200:
attachment.php

In Alaska almost everyone has a cracked windshield. That being said if I took it to the Lexus dealer safelite would be the one that replaced it, I’ve seen their van there many times. And yes they did a fine job.

So I got a rock chip my 1st week.... Right in my line of sight. What a PITA. No way I’m going to change it out until it starts to spread. When I do, OEM glass all the way.

So I got a rock chip my 1st week.... Right in my line of sight. What a PITA. No way I’m going to change it out until it starts to spread. When I do, OEM glass all the way.

Get the DIY chip filler. I’ve had a chip that’s been filled for 6 years and 75k miles without issue.

Get the DIY chip filler. I’ve had a chip that’s been filled for 6 years and 75k miles without issue.
Good tip. I’ll ck it out. Just wish it wasn’t right in front of my eyeballs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom