Window seals and gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. New here to the 55 section...not to mud. I picked up a basically 100% rust free 69. Thing has been sitting in shops its hole life. I've done a bunch of work already. Even bought a full parts truck. I'm getting close to windows...dreaded I know..

What are your thoughts on rear quarter seals? And all window seals and runs in general. Best places to source? Tips and tricks?
I saw a thread where the owner used universal kits from NC whitney to make all new seals, gaskets and window runs. Looked very clean and a good solution.

Anyone have a link to that thread?

I'm not going for period correct. Just a nice clean 55 to cruise.

Thanks!
20190113_124118.jpg
20181110_111537.jpg
20190317_095054.jpg
20190317_095008.jpg
20190317_092722.jpg

SOR for the window runs... there’s an eBay link around some where for felts for a mini truck that work with some creative drilling... I’m a fan of using fj60 aftermarket door seals- you have to trim them at the bottom but mine work great/ better than the door frame welt bulb... SOR for windshield gasket and a 3D printer for the rest... odds and end available from contributors here, but nothing under one roof...

Thanks! @roryhamaker Pricey from Slocruisers but very cool they offer those.

My main concern as of now is rear quarter glass. I have to remove windows from donor. Seals are great but very hard. I cant see me re using them. I'll likely have to cut to get glass out safely.

@LAMBCRUSHER do you have source for the 60 seals ? Part #.

This was the thread I was looking for... cool option for rear cargo.

I got my door edge seal for fj60 from SOR, IIRC.
No options on side cargo other than Slocruisers

The water/glycerin mixture took a couple of days to work. Sprayed both sides with the mixture, let sit a day. Resprayed, this time gently prying the rubber with a small screwdriver and allowing second application to get between seal and metal. Let sit another day or so, then spray a third time with warm mixture and start removing. First side took about 45 minutes to get out, second side even less.

I followed Lambcrusher's idea using fj60 door seals. It worked great for me. I also bought them on sale at CruiserCorps. That was a while back though, so I'm not sure if their still selling them.
There's a weatherstripping thread here somewhere that has some great info.
Found it:

Thought someone mentioned it's the same profile as Windshield rubber!!!
I read that too. Very cool. I'm just looking for all options then weight them out that fit my needs best.

She looks real good. I remember seeing it for sale for a time. Kids look like there having fun with it

Thanks! Yeah it needed a lot of TLC and basically all little stuff missing. It will be well worth the few hundred hours labor.
My son has been a cruiser addict for years. Loves it. He learns so much.

The water/glycerin mixture took a couple of days to work. Sprayed both sides with the mixture, let sit a day. Resprayed, this time gently prying the rubber with a small screwdriver and allowing second application to get between seal and metal. Let sit another day or so, then spray a third time with warm mixture and start removing. First side took about 45 minutes to get out, second side even less.
Thats great info. I'm going to try that first. Thanks!!

How did re install go??

Won’t be doing a reinstall for awhile. Left seals around glass with mixture still on. Hope it helps prolong the life. Saw a rubber restorer advertised on eBay. Was a mixture of glycerin and a glycol of some sort. Decided to try the glycerin/water first since bottle of food grade glycerin was only $18. delivered. Have removed 4 windows and only used about a half a bottle.

Oil of wintergreen- be careful as it is poisonous but is the old timey trick and I believe the active ingredient in most real rubber restorers... our rubber guy gave me a bottle of some stuff I used on some fj62 trim gaskets... it used an industrialized wintergreen oil et al... I’ll get info on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom