Window cranking difficulty (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 87 FJ60 that all four door windows are very difficult to open to the point of wondering if the handles will break. One of the rear windows drags the rubber track with it when lowering. Is the rubber inserts the only reason for this or is there another probable source for the problem. I don't want to disassemble the doors more than once. Is it possible to rejuvenate the tracks or is replacement the only option? Also what is a good source for these window parts?

I would suggest studying this page if you haven't seen the window crank mechanism already.

I would guess the cranking issue is due to some sort of binding in the regulator. They appear to be available new still, or you could try lubricating/cleaning them since you will have to disassemble the doors anyways. While you're in there, get new rubber window seals and you should be good.

When my driver’s door window was difficult to crank — i replaced the cranking mechanism (window regulator). It was easy to roll up after that. ‘86 FJ60

Lubrication?

I have an 87 FJ60 that all four door windows are very difficult to open to the point of wondering if the handles will break. One of the rear windows drags the rubber track with it when lowering. Is the rubber inserts the only reason for this or is there another probable source for the problem. I don't want to disassemble the doors more than once. Is it possible to rejuvenate the tracks or is replacement the only option? Also what is a good source for these window parts?
Try RV window lubricant. The old rubbers get hard and grippy. I spray mine regularly. Look at any autoshop spray lube aisle

I would suggest studying this page if you haven't seen the window crank mechanism already.

I would guess the cranking issue is due to some sort of binding in the regulator. They appear to be available new still, or you could try lubricating/cleaning them since you will have to disassemble the doors anyways. While you're in there, get new rubber window seals and you should be good.
That missed the felt guides in the door outer edges. and the vertical runners

Try RV window lubricant. The old rubbers get hard and grippy. I spray mine regularly. Look at any autoshop spray lube aisle

my local Napa has that stuff, I think the stuff they carry is called sill glide

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I had some things come up that delayed my being able to work on my truck. I plan to disasemble the drivers door this weekend and inspect the window regulator. If it appears to be in good shape I will try to lubricate the mechanism and guides. Next step will be replacing the rubber/felt guides. Then as a last resort replace the window regulator. I will let you know what I find out. By the way what is the best website to locate part numers with diagrams, I have had mixed results on the ones I have found.

The rubber channels have flocking, which reduces the friction of the sliding glass. After 30 years, the flocking is gone and you have glass-on-rubber. Spraying with silicone helps, but fresh rubber is the long term solution. There can be complicating factors, like gummed up gears, too, which adds to the window cranking woes.

I had the chance to try and free up the window regulator on my drivers door. After applying silicone lubricant to the regulator and the rubber/felt guides , I noticed little change to the problem . I have decided to replace the regulator and window guides. I have found the regulator part number but the guide number is difficult to verify. I have had limited success finding a website with accurate part numbers with easy to see diagrams. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine Plug in your VIN and you can work the diagrams and find the parts, part numbers, and a price. Partsouq generally has good prices and quick shipping, but it's also a good idea to use the part number and search other sites, especially domestic dealers that offer online sales.

Thanks for the info. Has anyone tried the Dorman aftermarket window regulators? If they are good quality it will save me a couple hundred dollas [I need all four].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom