window crank, felts and seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've recently purchased our first fj40 and in helping the rattles go away we've started working on the doors. I would like to replace the cranks, felts and seals first but have no idea how the doors breakdown??? Does anyone have any pictures of how the doors breakdown or can describe the process. Thanks:doh:

I am working on putting mine back together actually. YOu can order all new felts, seals etc from Toyota still depending on your year. I have a 77fj40 and it all was available and here in about a week.

It wasnt very hard to pop the door panels off with the exception of the crank which was a pain in the ass because of the little ring you have to get off. you have to take the seals around the top off on both sides as well before you can lift the window glass all the way out.

Crap I was told that only the inside window rubber was available for my 76 and that was from my local toyota dealer so I had to order from SOR

if your trying to take the top half off the door, unbolt all the bolts you see, except the four around the crank handle.

OPEN YOUR KICK VENT WINDOW. The top half will not slide out unless you open the kick vent window some.

Not much else to them.

Also, if you cranks are starting to slip, (clicking and not rolling up) you can bend the tab down some that makes the gears line up. Once you have it apart, it will make since.

Re: '71 fj40 door window help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahofish
Thanks much for the help. We've already bought the replacement window cranks and seals but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install the new cranks (both doors) and the seals without being able to pull the inside door panel off? Can I screw in the new window rubbers while the glass is in the door? Thanks again for the help

First I must say that I have never replaced window rubbers. I have only messed with the cranks, and taken the doors apart a few times, and that was over 4 years ago.

That being said, if it was my project, I would take the doors completely apart and familiarize myself it and it's parts.

It sounds like, from a post in your thread, that you want to do pop off the window guides on the top of the door to take out the glass,(location: The area that you would rest your arm on if window was down). I would assume you would replace those last. Before you do that you should be able to take the whole top channel off of the door (top half). The windows themself have a metal channel attached to the bottom of them, where a roller slides into them from the crank arm.

Get in there, and explore. You'll be fine.

(Posted PM for others to pick apart or to add to.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom