Winch removal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to remove & reinstall a warn 12k from an ARB on an 80 without pulling the bumper off the truck first?

Thanks,

Bob

I don't think you can get it off the ARB without pulling the bumper. The Slee has to come off for sure.

yes you can, I droped mine(Warn 12K with the bigger motor) with the ARB still on, it comes out from the bottom.........but its a heavy bugger.

can also install a 10K warn on a fj60 ARB with the bar on, it goes in from the top in that case.

Bob -

Yup, can be done - from below as John stated - but it definately takes two guys to monkey the thing around 'cause it's a very tight fit until you get it past the sheet metal below the grille and out of/into the well of the bumper.

Cheers, R -

ParadiseCruiser said:
Bob - Yup, can be done - from below as John stated - but it definately takes two guys to monkey the thing around 'cause it's a very tight fit until you get it past the sheet metal below the grille and out of/into the well of the bumper. Cheers, R -

Worst case is remove the ARB bolts and slide the bar out about an inch, then it will go. Anything is easier than removing it AND the bar as an assembly.

Yep-I comes right out-plenty of room. It's the FJ60's that have the crossbar in the way and need to be placed in the bumper, then the whole assembly mounted on the truck.

or drop it in from above.

I took the 12k out of my 80 myself.......got my buddy to stuff it back in.....by himself ;)

Cruiserdrew said:
Yep-I comes right out-plenty of room. It's the FJ60's that have the crossbar in the way and need to be placed in the bumper, then the whole assembly mounted on the truck.

For the group:

Assuming that you have the ARB with the bar across the top; u can use the bar as a tie point for a rope. Use the old half hitch method around the bar to lower the wench to the ground. Do the same when reinstalling. It helps to have two people to do this. Label all leads; which will be disconnected be removal of same. Steve Ciotti and I did this together a few months ago.

David in Denver

Landpimp said:
or drop it in from above.

I took the 12k out of my 80 myself.......got my buddy to stuff it back in.....by himself ;)

puss :flipoff2:

It's much easier to just mount it to the bar, pick it up and slide it on. No need for help. :flipoff2:

It can be done. I installed my Warn M12 with the Bumper still on the vehicle. I used a great big floor jack and had a couple of jackstands in case I needed them.

Might need an extra pair of hands when you are taking the bolts out so it doesn't fall while you have nuts in your hand!

I just needed a hand when I was pulling it the last couple of inched into place until I could get a bolt in to hold it

no.......me just smarter than you.....I sat and had a Diet Coke and watched :flipoff2:

really when ya got a buddy like this around.......why brake a sweet?
87948888.jpg

Junk said:
puss :flipoff2:

It's much easier to just mount it to the bar, pick it up and slide it on. No need for help. :flipoff2:

dfmorse said:
For the group:

Assuming that you have the ARB with the bar across the top; u can use the bar as a tie point for a rope. Use the old half hitch method around the bar to lower the wench to the ground. Do the same when reinstalling. It helps to have two people to do this. Label all leads; which will be disconnected be removal of same. Steve Ciotti and I did this together a few months ago.

David in Denver

I did something similar and can be done by one person. When I installed mine I did it with three ratchet straps, only two are needed but I used one more for safety. Very easy to do and you can easly move it around and small adjustments if needed.

Winch removal update

First of all, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on how to remove the winch. After reading through the comments and looking at the truck, I decided that my plan would be to unbolt the bumper and slide it forward an inch as elimarachi suggested, and then use ratchet straps (as heffenoche suggested) to support the winch while I unbolted it.

Now, to back up just a bit, the reason for the removal of the winch was to replace the motor. Earlier this year the winch had suddenly stopped working. The relays were activating but the motor would not run in either direction. This happened at Cruise Moab this year and fortunately for me, a Warn rep happened to stop by and helped to troubleshoot the problem. His conclusion was that the motor had failed and would need to be replaced. So, with a new motor setting on the bench (thanks to Warn), I was going to pull the winch and install the new motor.

Ok, so now I'm all set to pull out the winch, so the 1st job was to disconnect the cables and remove the solenoid pack. When I went to remove the motor ground connection I discovered that the rubber boot was torn, After I removed the boot, it appeared that the connector was somewhat loose. After removing the bolt, I also discovered that the cable end was badly rusted. Well, guess what? After replacing the connector (plus cleaning all the other connections), I bolted everything together and Bingo! the winch works like a champ!

This connection was the only one that had any significant rust. The other connections were in excellent condition. I'm not sure if it was the fault of the torn boot or if the location on the front side of the motor (others are near the top of the motor) is more prone to trapping moisture (I suspect a combination of the two).

Bottom line, if you have a 12k Warn and it's been on the rig for a few years and especially if you live in the rust belt, you may want to do some preventative maintenance on this connector in your driveway or garage before it fails you on the trail.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom