Winch Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
I'm looking to get a planetary winch for my 60 (ARB Bumper). I've always thought Warn was the way to go, but I honestly am not very educated on the subject. Is Mile Marker worth checking out? What size should I go for? Cost is more of a factor, although I think I will stay away from the Tabor series. A 9k with a snatch-block will be slower than a 15k but much lighter, and it'll be faster in easy recovery situations. XD9000i?

WALoeIII said:
I'm looking to get a planetary winch for my 60 (ARB Bumper). I've always thought Warn was the way to go, but I honestly am not very educated on the subject. Is Mile Marker worth checking out? What size should I go for? Cost is more of a factor, although I think I will stay away from the Tabor series. A 9k with a snatch-block will be slower than a 15k but much lighter, and it'll be faster in easy recovery situations. XD9000i?

I think there is a good amount if info in the Outfitting section.

The Mile Marker looks a LOT like the one Harbor Freight sells, and if you look at the specs they are identical. So if you are going to go MM, might as well buy the Harbor Freight. I do know though that they have a really SLOW line speed.

Most people will tell you Warn this and Warn that. I like Ramsey and T-Max and wouldnt mind a Superwinch (heard their controls arent good but the winches are).

I do not own a winch so... this is my OPINION.

I attempted to talk with Warn customer service about a few things over a few different phone calls (different trucks). What a bunch of pecker heads, did not talk with every person there but for all I care they can all eat me and fxxx off and die. I would rather buy 100 Chinese winches and throw them in the river before I buy a Warn anything. The last conversation I had with warn, the guy on the other side of the line said "land cruiser 60 series are crap and we don't support them anymore"

beaufort-fj60 said:
. The last conversation I had with warn, the guy on the other side of the line said "land cruiser 60 series are crap and we don't support them anymore"

WHAT!?!?!?! :eek: That seals the deal for me. I have been wanting one and it a goal of mine to have one on by the end of the year. I may stick with T-Max or Superwinch.

stinkyfj60 said:
WHAT!?!?!?! :eek: That seals the deal for me. I have been wanting one and it a goal of mine to have one on by the end of the year. I may stick with T-Max or Superwinch.

yea the guy was a real fxxx nut.... fxxx warn, I know A LOT of people would toss warns salad and take a dirty Sanchez for a free winch..but fxxx them and their bull**** attitudes. The 60 comment was just the icing on the cake.

beaufort-fj60 said:
The last conversation I had with warn, the guy on the other side of the line said "land cruiser 60 series are crap and we don't support them anymore"

:eek: :eek: :eek:
yeah fxxx warn!! you most give that guy a call and say:
"we own a 60 we don't need your s***" that's why the 2F is for ;)

Last edited:
I installed a Ramsey REP 9.5e on my 60 in the ARB. Other than needing to make the holes shift a little in the bar with a file I've been happy with it.

A couple days ago I used the winch to drag a dead fullsize Delta 88 onto a trailer. The winch didn't really care about the 3 flat tires on the car. Had to lift the rear of the car with a hilift when the frame hung on the trailer though. The winch was towing my Cruiser down the driveway with me standing on the brakes! I'd say it's powerful enough. Might be a little slower than a HS Warn but it cost a whole $420 from OK4WD in NJ. Gets the job done for me...

http://www.ok4wd.com/product.asp?id=692

edit: looks like the price went up to $439 for the winch I bought.

HTH,
Nick

Yep, I thought the price was great too. That's why I got one! :D

Just went out and looked at the winch. I only find a sticker which has the corporate address of Tulsa, OK on it. Given the price I kinda doubt it's made in the USA though. :frown: I won't get into a USA/non-USA debate given it's mounted to an Australian made bumper bolted to a Japan-built truck with a Delco 27si alternator added for good measure! ;p

Nick

beaufort-fj60 said:
The last conversation I had with warn, the guy on the other side of the line said "land cruiser 60 series are crap and we don't support them anymore"

What did you say back to him when he said this? Kinda hard to believe any vendor on the phone would tell you drive crap.

He probably drives a Heep and got pulled out the weekend before by some 60. You should of got his name.

Warn diffinately has the name and is well know but don't have enough experience to know what winches are better. I would call ARB and ask them what winches fit in the bumper and for recommedations.

NocalFJ60 said:
What did you say back to him when he said this? Kinda hard to believe any vendor on the phone would tell you drive crap.

He probably drives a Heep and got pulled out the weekend before by some 60. You should of got his name.

Warn diffinately has the name and is well know but don't have enough experience to know what winches are better. I would call ARB and ask them what winches fit in the bumper and for recommedations.

this was about 2 years ago, I don't recall the guys name, but at least three people I spoke with at warn ind. sucked. Warn can suck my ass, and I do not care how great and awesome their winches are. I was pissed off multiple times by the staff there, I'm not the type to back down from a fruitless tech phone conversations or the blow off maneuver. I basically boiled down to the warn staff taking a cheap shot.

The last thing I was attempting to get out of them was an answer on the discontinued fj60 winch bumper. I asked if they had any left, they said no. I asked if the could check in that back of the warehouse, maybe there was one in the back corner covered in spider webs, the no started turning into get lost. I asked if they would do a one off at my cost, they said no. I asked if they would give me a copy of the blueprint to have one made somewhere else, they said no. this was over about a week of phone tag with multiple people. The last comment I got out of them was the "fj60s suck"

Well this apparently turned into a WARN bashfest, i have never had to deal with their customer service, but i have an 8274 in my ARB bumper and it is great and i have never had any trouble with it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Nick

AuburnFJsexy said:
Well this apparently turned into a WARN bashfest, i have never had to deal with their customer service, but i have an 8274 in my ARB bumper and it is great and i have never had any trouble with it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Nick

not bashing the product, just saying the company sucks ass, everyone that works there sucks ass, and they are lucky that their winchs sell themsleves by word of mouth. I was pissed because I was trying to BUY something from them, gave them fifty chances to say "hey well, to bad we do not sell that anymore, maybe you should try out "fill in the blank" product, this might do the job for you..... "

Last edited:
beaufort-fj60 said:
"land cruiser 60 series are crap and we don't support them anymore"

:eek: dammm ! :frown:

Anycase .. I'm not a big marks believer .. not anymore.

EPSN0112.jpg

cheap, basic, functional .. with MM E-12000

I'm running the superwinch 9k. i also had to move the holes to fit it,l but it works awesome. and I got it from summit for about 400 bucks with free shipping and no tax. I did have to replace the control plug because it was not very good, but i replaced it with a trailer plug that fit right in no problem.

i have a warn xd9000 and love it. no problems so far and i have abused it. My friend tommy has a milemarker which works well but slow. He has had issues with it. the motor went out on it and he had to send it in and get a new one. Milemarker has good customer service because tommy said it was easy and the people were nice. i have only heard good things about warn and the fact that warn has been around so long is comforting to me. I figure that warn will be around longer to hold my warranty as opposed to milemarker or say tmax. If i didnt buy a warn i would have bought a t-max and then a milemarker.

all in all i like my warn because of how reliable it has been and how fast it works and because of the customer service

The numbers don't lie ..

Wanr XP and Ti winches have by far more line speed compared to MM ( never do the test with T-max )

IMOP I'm not running in any competition, the speed is less important to me if the winch function fine .. and keep in ming the $$$$ big diference.

I bought mine E-12000 about 550 USD in my hands .. ( shipping included ) the better price that I found in a Warn M12000 are about 1200 USD .. big diference.

Also other good think that I see on MM option, the ground are not taken by the winch from the bumper .. you must need to atach a ground cable direct to the motor at the bottom of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom