PTO winch compatibility question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_0595.png
IMG_0596.png
IMG_0597.png
IMG_0598.png
Thank you in advance for anyone that can lend assistance! I am looking to purchase a pto winch off from Facebook marketplace and the seller tells me it came off from a 70 series with a 3B and H55. My question is does anyone know if this unit and the brackets will work on my 1987 HJ60? My HJ also has an H55 with a 2H engine. Thank you again!

I believe 1981-1989 split cases can all use the same PTO. However best if a PTO guru can chime in here.

I don't know about the pto itself - but the worm gear in the winch is actually different in the 70's vs 40's / 60's applications.
It all fits but the sense of direction of the drum is different.
The original 40 and 60 spools in on top of the drum while the 70 version spools in at the bottom of the drum. So the sense of direction coming out of the standard pto is the same for the 70 and 40/60 applications - there are some pto with reverse gear around too.
I learnt that after purchasing a second winch for parts at some stage - my original worm gear is quite unpleasantly rusted due to water sitting in the gearbox over the years before I became the owner. Please check for that!
When I modified and shortened the original winch craddle and build a new bumper around it a while ago I just fitted the fairlead lower to take care of it.
Here's a recent pic - just in the progress of fitting a intercooler. So that's with the 70 style 'bottom feed' worm gear (the drum is the same)
Hope that helps a bit.
20240204_193549[1].jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the information thus far! So it’s sounds like the pto gearbox will most likely work on my H55 and the winch itself while geared “backwards” would work. Does anyone have any idea about the frame brackets/cradle compatibility? Are the frame brackets able to bolt the factory bumper back on? Also, will the chromed top plates match the profile of the front of the body and be usable?

You'll need to make sure your splitcase has the drive gear for the PTO. If not you'll need to rebuild it and add it. If it was off a 70 none of the brackets and PTO shafts will work without modifications. I know of a vendor on here that has a 60 series PTO that may sell if you're interested.

You'll need to make sure your splitcase has the drive gear for the PTO. If not you'll need to rebuild it and add it. If it was off a 70 none of the brackets and PTO shafts will work without modifications. I know of a vendor on here that has a 60 series PTO that may sell if you're interested.

87 year Cruiser would almost certainly have the PTO gear.

That is a single input gear PTO, which means it will turn clockwise when looking from the front of the vehicle, i.e. it will turn in the same sense as the engine and propeller shafts. It's a split case type PTO so will fit any 60 or older 70 Series transfer. It's easy to check if you have a drive gear (remove blanking plate) and they are still available new (unlike almost everything else to do with the PTO system). Fitting is a 2 hour job maybe if you have a bearing puller and new gaskets for the T case (or a it's a good opportunity to rebuild a worn out transfer case).

That's the good news. Apart from that, you will need to modify everything to fit your 60. Even with 60 Series PTO setups, there are various changes through the years, most notably the change to the roller unit to suit the change to bumper profile in 1987 (round to square headlight changeover). As the above poster has mentioned, 70 series units spool in the opposite direction, so you would need to retain that bottom-spooling setup, or you'll have one slow speed to winch (transmission in reverse) and 5 speeds to spool in.

EO

you'll have one slow speed to winch (transmission in reverse) and 5 speeds to spool in.

(5 speeds to spool out)

- correct I forgot to mention that option.
I use 2nd or 3rd for lighter work or retrieving the cable - using reverse other than slow pulling will be painful slow.

(5 speeds to spool out)

- correct I forgot to mention that option.
I use 2nd or 3rd for lighter work or retrieving the cable - using reverse other than slow pulling will be painful slow.

No, 5 speeds to spool in, in the case where a 70 Series bottom-spooling winch is turned into a 60 Series top-spooling winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom