will this grease work for wheelbearing/cvjoint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
will this grease work. it's categorized NGLI#2 but says intended for non-highway use. it's 5%moly

20161021_151656.jpg

20161021_151715.jpg

5% moly is a little much for rollers, IMO

The tech spec sheet does not mention wheel bearings, looks good however for the Birfield CV joints. Wait until Monday and call the Mobil tech help line and ask: 800/275/6624

the bearing seal thats pressed in after the wheel bearing and race and installed, does it keep the greases separated? im not thinking of the axle seal that keeps the grease and diff oil separated ...

If you're referring to the hub seal on the inboard aspect of the hub, it keeps water and dust out of the wheel bearings, and the grease in.

What's the problem?

I was hoping the inboard seal would keep the greases apart.
nothing failed...still waiting for the birf cv joints to arrive.

That grease will work for the birfs, but do NOT use moly grease for wheel bearings. Moly will cause rollers to slide and will make the wear worse.

I use Lucas oil red-n-tacky #2 for the wheel bearings. It runs cooler and tighter than the other wheel bearing grease I've used.

Both Valvoline Palladium (3% Moly) and Valvoline Synpower (2-1/2% Moly) are both approved for wheel bearings. Having said that I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic grease for my wheel bearings, Palladium for everything else including U-joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom