WIll this custom paint kill resale value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another example: Used 2011 Lexus LX For Sale ($33,999) | Texas Direct Auto - https://www.texasdirectauto.com/inventory/lexus-lx-2011-JTJHY7AX0B4062832

$34k. 104k miles. Looks pretty pristine! Sitting on lot currently unsold.

The OP’s LC is in much worst shape. Older. Body damage. Paint bad. More mileage. Salvage title??

At best, OP’s LC is worth $15k?

Mine is three years older and 16k more mileage. Yes it has a rebuilt title, but it also will have new high-end PPG paint, TRD wheels, a $12k Morel/Focal stereo system with MiniDSP, Hypex amps, and Android HU w/ Android Auto, Apple Car Play, 360 surround birds eye cams and dash cam. Not to mention dual batts w/ associated wiring and upgrades. I bought my LC at auction with a salvage title and body damage for $15k + fees, and I was bidding against two other real, live bidders, who were obviously willing to pay up to at least $14,900 + fees (IIRC the other bidder dropped out closer to $14,000).

$34k for the Cruiser posted seems like a good deal, but you don't know the history of it. It could have hidden issues, prior major repairs or damage, poor maintenance history, flood history, rust, or etc etc etc. Mine was well cared for, no rust, dealer maintained, and only sustained easily repairable superficial damage to panels. If there were bidders willing to pay around $18k (after fees and shipping) in the condition it was in when I bought it with a salvage title, I have no doubt I can get a lot more than that after it's all done with aforementioned work and rebuilt title. Even so, I don't plan on selling it, was just curious how paint or vinyl would affect future resale in case that becomes relevant at some point.

BTW, I'm not expecting to get anywhere near the full value of these upgrades back terms of resale ROI. But c'mon, they aren't worth nothing! If a salvage title LC with body damage goes for $15k + fees with multiple bidders willing to pay closer to $17-$18k after shipping + fees, you can't tell me a rebuilt title Cruiser with fresh PPG paint, and a bunch of tasteful (not trashy BS) upgrades including bunch of tech and a tuned $12k high-end stereo will sell for LESS.

Mine is three years older and 16k more mileage. Yes it has a rebuilt title, but it also will have new high-end PPG paint, TRD wheels, a $12k Morel/Focal stereo system with MiniDSP, Hypex amps, and Android HU w/ Android Auto, Apple Car Play, 360 surround birds eye cams and dash cam. Not to mention dual batts w/ associated wiring and upgrades. I bought my LC at auction with a salvage title and body damage for $15k + fees, and I was bidding against two other real, live bidders, who were obviously willing to pay up to at least $14,900 + fees (IIRC the other bidder dropped out closer to $14,000).

$34k for the Cruiser posted seems like a good deal, but you don't know the history of it. It could have hidden issues, prior major repairs or damage, poor maintenance history, flood history, rust, or etc etc etc. Mine was well cared for, no rust, dealer maintained, and only sustained easily repairable superficial damage to panels. If there were bidders willing to pay around $18k (after fees and shipping) in the condition it was in when I bought it with a salvage title, I have no doubt I can get a lot more than that after it's all done with aforementioned work and rebuilt title. Even so, I don't plan on selling it, was just curious how paint or vinyl would affect future resale in case that becomes relevant at some point.
I think that's at least partially the point. You are hinging a lot of value into things that people wouldn't really care to pay extra for, as far as how it relates to your vehicle being a land cruiser. If you had a cherry original LC with low miles and good original paint, it would probably bring more value if you just did a paint restoration or maintained original color. Your truck is far from that at this point, so a paint or a wrap isn't going to affect its value much.

Your sales pitch above could just as easily read (probably from most LC potential buyers) as.... High mileage, salvage title LC, non-OEM stereo and probably a bunch of cut up OEM wiring. You'd probably literally get more value out of the stereo and wheels selling them removed from the vehicle in most cases. I can't imagine I'd consider a massive, convoluted stereo with non OEM headunit a positive aspect of any LC. That's coming from someone who knows what all the parts you listed there are, and i still wouldn't want to deal with it. If you were the typical LC buyer, you'd probably care even less.

All this to say, I'm not trying to knock your truck. Your original question is "will painting it ruin the value?". I would say if your LC was in great shape, possibly. But I believe in your specific case, that ship has sailed, so if you want to paint it, paint it whatever color you want. But, I certainly wouldn't be concerned about maintaining original color or "protecting" anything with wrap.

I think that's at least partially the point. You are hinging a lot of value into things that people wouldn't really care to pay extra for, as far as how it relates to your vehicle being a land cruiser. If you had a cherry original LC with low miles and good original paint, it would probably bring more value if you just did a paint restoration or maintained original color. Your truck is far from that at this point, so a paint or a wrap isn't going to affect its value much.

Your sales pitch above could just as easily read (probably from most LC potential buyers) as.... High mileage, salvage title LC, non-OEM stereo and probably a bunch of cut up OEM wiring. You'd probably literally get more value out of the stereo and wheels selling them removed from the vehicle in most cases. I can't imagine I'd consider a massive, convoluted stereo with non OEM headunit a positive aspect of any LC. That's coming from someone who knows what all the parts you listed there are, and i still wouldn't want to deal with it. If you were the typical LC buyer, you'd probably care even less.

All this to say, I'm not trying to knock your truck. Your original question is "will painting it ruin the value?". I would say if your LC was in great shape, possibly. But I believe in your specific case, that ship has sailed, so if you want to paint it, paint it whatever color you want. But, I certainly wouldn't be concerned about maintaining original color or "protecting" anything with wrap.

Yeah except it's not high mileage, it's actually low for a 2008, the HU is a huge upgrade from the slow, old (even by mid-2010's standards), super limited factory HU if you care about modern tech/features at all (most people do), literally none of the OEM wiring is cut up or tapped into at all, and there's a huge difference between a salvage title and a rebuilt title with records and documentation to show it was all done properly.

Again, multiple people were willing to pay in the $15k-$18k range AS-IS with salvage title and body damage at a salvage auto auction. I simply fail to see how it's now worth the same (or less) after all the repairs and aforementioned updates.

Yeah except it's not high mileage, it's actually low for a 2008, the HU is a huge upgrade from the slow, old (even by mid-2010's standards), super limited factory HU if you care about modern tech/features at all (most people do), literally none of the OEM wiring is cut up or tapped into at all, and there's a huge difference between a salvage title and a rebuilt title with records and documentation to show it was all done properly.

Again, multiple people were willing to pay in the $15k-$18k range AS-IS with salvage title and body damage at a salvage auto auction. I simply fail to see how it's now worth the same (or less) after all the repairs and aforementioned updates.
I'm not in the "your truck is worth 15k" camp.. I think if it has been properly repaired and then had above average paint/body (of any color) and comparably lower miles it would easily be worth your typical 2008 LC (lets say 23-28k) or maybe slightly lower. I'd be very surprised if it was worth more though, no matter what you did. I stand my ground that there is little to no value in the stereo at resale. I'm sure it's great, but very few shopping for an old LC will find value in it. At best your buyer won't look at it as a negative, and at worst a potential buyer won't consider your truck unless they think they can return it to stock easily.

Searching Google, I can't find any evidence to support this claim. Unless the wraps are installed improperly, or somebody knicks the paint while cutting the vinyl, everything I'm seeing supports the claim that vinyl wrap actually protects paint (I tried to ignore results from vinyl installers or sellers for obvious conflict of interest reasons). I did find one YouTube video where a guy with a Porsche showed that one certain brand (Avery Dennison) etched a pattern into the clearcoat, so I'd avoid this brand....or just be prepared to cut/polish the clearcoat upon removal. If you have any evidence/info to support this, I'm all ears....definitely don't want to risk damaging this paint after I put so much work into it.

They will all **** your clearcoat if left on too long, or in the sun constantly and bond to it as they break down. You can find plenty of videos showing the after effects online. They do protect as a covering yes.

Either way paying $5-10k for a proper full body wrap to have it last less than 5 years is a tragedy if you ask me. If they were $500 sure. Knock yourself out. Ive yet to see a decent wrap not in the multi thousand dollars.

Also, no wrap looks as good as paint. Thats just obvious.

Great stuff that you or previous owner put in it. But to average Joe, all there is a salvage title and body damage.

If you think that you can get more than $15k…why would anyone buy it? They could spend an extra $10-15k over what you are asking and get the LX above.

TexasDirectAuto is a quality used car reseller. They don’t sell crap. Porsches. Lambos. Etc.

Regarding the $34k LX, it has sublime records: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=VAU_0&UID=C520459&vin=JTJHY7AX0B4062832

No accidents. Texas vehicle all is life. Serviced at Lexus dealer most of is life.

Yeah, i (and probably most others) rather spend a few extra pesos to get that instead of a salvaged body damage needing repaint vehicle…no matter how much extra aftermarket stuff you have on it.

Don’t believe me? Go to any used car dealer and ask for appraisal. IMHO, what you paid for it originally was overpriced. I bet that they will not even buy it for $15k.

Last edited:
I'm not in the "your truck is worth 15k" camp.. I think if it has been properly repaired and then had above average paint/body (of any color) and comparably lower miles it would easily be worth your typical 2008 LC (lets say 23-28k) or maybe slightly lower. I'd be very surprised if it was worth more though, no matter what you did. I stand my ground that there is little to no value in the stereo at resale. I'm sure it's great, but very few shopping for an old LC will find value in it. At best your buyer won't look at it as a negative, and at worst a potential buyer won't consider your truck unless they think they can return it to stock easily.

I'd say that's a fair evaluation. Although I'm confident that the average person shopping for early 200 TLC's would be far more interested in mine than a typical bone stock OEM 200 with outdated (even by 2010's standards) tech and terrible sounding speakers (and likely a clear coat that's starting to fade).
Honestly I didn't even plan on upgrading the sound system in my Cruiser. I got the "upgraded" JBL Synthesis system, so figured it'd sound fine. It was, at best, not good. Honestly, the system in my cheapie little 2016 Scion tC daily driver sounds better. The stock JBL drivers are so bad on their own the factory amp needs to apply tons of processing and EQ to compensate. The stock drivers without processing sound muffled, muddy, just horrible. The upgraded Morels and Focals are clear and pristine, absolutely in a different league altogether.

I say this because basically, if you want to upgrade the speakers, you NEED to use a different amp (since the OEM one applies tons of corrective processing). And a different amp requires a new head unit (since the stock one only outputs a rare POST digital signal that nobody supports anymore). So to upgrade the speakers CORRECTLY, you really need a whole new amp, at least 12 channels of DSP, and a new head unit....and if you're gunna get a new HU, might as well address many shortfalls with the stock one (namely small screen, low-resolution, lacking many modern features). I'm not sure why Toyota and even Lexus is constantly 1-2 generations behind in their infotainment systems, but now that isn't an issue on my Cruiser. Again, I'm very confident that with meticulous repair work, and tasteful upgrades in key areas, a typical tech-savvy buyer would be more likely to buy my TLC than a stock OEM one.

Great stuff that you or previous owner put in it. But to average Joe, all there is a salvage title and body damage.

If you think that you can get more than $15k…why would anyone buy it? They could spend an extra $10-15k over what you are asking and get the LX above.

TexasDirectAuto is a quality used car reseller. They don’t sell crap. Porsches. Lambos. Etc.

Regarding the $34k LX, it had sublime records: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=VAU_0&UID=C520459&vin=JTJHY7AX0B4062832

No accidents. Texas vehicle all is life. Serviced at Lexus dealer most of is life.

Yeah, i (and probably most others) rather spend a few extra pesos to get that instead of a salvaged body damage needing repaint vehicle…no matter how much extra aftermarket stuff you have on it.

Don’t believe me? Go to any used car dealer and ask for appraisal. IMHO, what you paid for it originally was overpriced.

Dude, again, we're talking about a vehicle with meticulous body work and new stock code PPG paint (best in the industry). Also, there is a huge difference between a SALVAGE title and a rebuilt one. They are NOT the same thing. Salvage isn't road legal, can't insure it, it's basically only good for junk/parts until you rebuild it. A rebuilt vehicle is inspected, re-certified, road legal and insurable. Yes it's not as desirable as a clean title vehicle, but once again, somebody else literally bid $14,900 + auction fees and shipping (so about $18k total) on this exact vehicle with a salvage (not rebuilt) title BEFORE repairs, upgrades, new paint, etc. So where you're getting $15k, I have no idea.

They will all f*** your clearcoat if left on too long, or in the sun constantly and bond to it as they break down. You can find plenty of videos showing the after effects online. They do protect as a covering yes.

Either way paying $5-10k for a proper full body wrap to have it last less than 5 years is a tragedy if you ask me. If they were $500 sure. Knock yourself out. Ive yet to see a decent wrap not in the multi thousand dollars.

Also, no wrap looks as good as paint. Thats just obvious.

Hmmmm, okay, that's all good to consider. I'll look into it. I have a friend who owned a wrapping/tinting company that did super high end stuff (lots of Seahawks and Mariners players, Microsoft people, etc). He'd be able to help me get a great result. I wonder if a ceramic coat before the wrap would help? Hmmm, might be going too deep down a rabbit hole here. Might just stick with OEM paint + ceramic for protection. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

I'd say that's a fair evaluation. Although I'm confident that the average person shopping for early 200 TLC's would be far more interested in mine than a typical bone stock OEM 200 with outdated (even by 2010's standards) tech and terrible sounding speakers (and likely a clear coat that's starting to fade).
Honestly I didn't even plan on upgrading the sound system in my Cruiser. I got the "upgraded" JBL Synthesis system, so figured it'd sound fine. It was, at best, not good. Honestly, the system in my cheapie little 2016 Scion tC daily driver sounds better. The stock JBL drivers are so bad on their own the factory amp needs to apply tons of processing and EQ to compensate. The stock drivers without processing sound muffled, muddy, just horrible. The upgraded Morels and Focals are clear and pristine, absolutely in a different league altogether.

I say this because basically, if you want to upgrade the speakers, you NEED to use a different amp (since the OEM one applies tons of corrective processing). And a different amp requires a new head unit (since the stock one only outputs a rare POST digital signal that nobody supports anymore). So to upgrade the speakers CORRECTLY, you really need a whole new amp, at least 12 channels of DSP, and a new head unit....and if you're gunna get a new HU, might as well address many shortfalls with the stock one (namely small screen, low-resolution, lacking many modern features). I'm not sure why Toyota and even Lexus is constantly 1-2 generations behind in their infotainment systems, but now that isn't an issue on my Cruiser. Again, I'm very confident that with meticulous repair work, and tasteful upgrades in key areas, a typical tech-savvy buyer would be more likely to buy my TLC than a stock OEM one.

I'm going to go with @lx200inAR on this. You may have valid reasons for not going with OEM replacements, but I think the same vehicle in the same condition with the same mileage, but with all OEM components brought back to original factory specs will always get more on the open market. Despite what common wisdom might suggest, most folks that are in the market for a 2008 200 series probably don't care about new tech. Its much more about reliability. Your stereo system may be the best install job on the planet, but if I were looking to buy, I'd take one look at the aftermarket stuff and walk. Because there is no way of knowing what has been done under the covers without serious time investment. That's just my opinion, but likely quite a lot of people share it.

Also, prospective buyers might not have your tastes, or your ear when it comes to audio components.

Having said all that. Obviously my truck is far from stock. I have no intention of selling it though, and don't really care what the mods have done to the market value. Vehicles tend to be hobbies and/or transportation, but rarely should they ever be considered an investment.

If you like the stereo you installed, great. If you want to paint it green, do it. But if resale value is important to you, you may consider doing things that will appeal to the broadest swath of consumers, and stock is hard to beat for that. There is a reason that most houses on the market have off-white paint on the walls.

It's a beautiful color. Possibly the resale price would be hurt for the average buyer, though for me as a prospective buyer this color would enhance the value. The wheels and greatly oversized tires look ridiculous though. They're a big negative IMO.

I'm going to go with @lx200inAR on this. You may have valid reasons for not going with OEM replacements, but I think the same vehicle in the same condition with the same mileage, but with all OEM components brought back to original factory specs will always get more on the open market. Despite what common wisdom might suggest, most folks that are in the market for a 2008 200 series probably don't care about new tech. Its much more about reliability. Your stereo system may be the best install job on the planet, but if I were looking to buy, I'd take one look at the aftermarket stuff and walk. Because there is no way of knowing what has been done under the covers without serious time investment. That's just my opinion, but likely quite a lot of people share it.

Also, prospective buyers might not have your tastes, or your ear when it comes to audio components.

Having said all that. Obviously my truck is far from stock. I have no intention of selling it though, and don't really care what the mods have done to the market value. Vehicles tend to be hobbies and/or transportation, but rarely should they ever be considered an investment.

If you like the stereo you installed, great. If you want to paint it green, do it. But if resale value is important to you, you may consider doing things that will appeal to the broadest swath of consumers, and stock is hard to beat for that. There is a reason that most houses on the market have off-white paint on the walls.

Fair enough. Resale is definitely important, which is why I haven't done more extreme mods (aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, sliders, molle panels, lifts/suspension, huge wheels, etc.) I will probably keep all the factory components (amp, HU, wheels, etc.) in case someone really wanted to go back to stock, but I can't imagine why, unless they're really lusting after bad sound and early 2000's technology, reliable as it may be.

It's a beautiful color. Possibly the resale price would be hurt for the average buyer, though for me as a prospective buyer this color would enhance the value. The wheels and greatly oversized tires look ridiculous though. They're a big negative IMO.

Yeah, it'd definitely enhance the value for me as well. And yes, I agree the wheels/tires are kinda ridiculous. If I do go this color, it'll probably be a vinyl wrap on top of a ceramic coat to protect the paint.....that seems like the best of all worlds. Might just keep it OEM silver with ceramic for protection though.

Dude, again, we're talking about a vehicle with meticulous body work and new stock code PPG paint (best in the industry). Also, there is a huge difference between a SALVAGE title and a rebuilt one. They are NOT the same thing. Salvage isn't road legal, can't insure it, it's basically only good for junk/parts until you rebuild it. A rebuilt vehicle is inspected, re-certified, road legal and insurable. Yes it's not as desirable as a clean title vehicle, but once again, somebody else literally bid $14,900 + auction fees and shipping (so about $18k total) on this exact vehicle with a salvage (not rebuilt) title BEFORE repairs, upgrades, new paint, etc. So where you're getting $15k, I have no idea.
Prove me wrong. Go to ANY used car dealer and ask for appraisal.

Prove me wrong. Go to ANY used car dealer and ask for appraisal.
This.

ekolpack, you seem to view the vehicle as a platform for you to build the ultimate stereo as you’ve mentioned the specific components time and again. Many people buying a Land Cruiser aren’t that concerned. And the “best in the industry” PPG paint is subjective and is still a repaint of a 15 year old vehicle. This is not a classic car (yet) and as such will be viewed as a used vehicle that has required the aforementioned modification, repairs, etc.

You seem very enthusiastic about the project, so go for it. At the same time, listen to those that you have inquired of. For that matter, listen to yourself as you’ve continued to double down on your rationale and have even admitted you “can’t imagine why” someone would differ in their views.

So, if i sell my LC to a local car dealer, then you’re telling me that they will pay MORE than KBB/black book value?

Anyone selling a specialty vehicle to a dealer is a moron 9/10 times 🤭

That said, depending on the market valuations of the vehicle - they might. Case and point, our local dealer offered $3200 above trade-in on army green 4R TRD Pro... which means the open market is even higher (which it was at the time).

Last edited:
This.

ekolpack, you seem to view the vehicle as a platform for you to build the ultimate stereo as you’ve mentioned the specific components time and again. Many people buying a Land Cruiser aren’t that concerned. And the “best in the industry” PPG paint is subjective and is still a repaint of a 15 year old vehicle. This is not a classic car (yet) and as such will be viewed as a used vehicle that has required the aforementioned modification, repairs, etc.

You seem very enthusiastic about the project, so go for it. At the same time, listen to those that you have inquired of. For that matter, listen to yourself as you’ve continued to double down on your rationale and have even admitted you “can’t imagine why” someone would differ in their views.

The strawmanning here is insane. I simply want a good sound system, modern features, and a nice paint job. Clearly if someone wants mediocre/bad sound, 2002 technology, and a 15 year old clear coat, there are plenty of other bone stock vehicles to buy. But as others have pointed out, folks on this forum will tend to be more obsessed with only OEM stock JDM everything even if it kinda sucks. I don't think many non-enthusiasts care as long as it kinda doesn't suck. As others have also pointed out, it's worth whatever someone will pay. I personally would gladly pay a little for more, or at least not less, for a vehicle with upgrades that address some of the TLC's shortcomings. I suspect others would as well.

But yeah, okay, it's a junk salvage truck with a ton of damage that's just a platform for a stereo, and worth less now after repairs than it went for at auction originally. Got it. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Anyone selling a specialty vehicle to a dealer is a moron 9/10 times 🤭

That said, depending on the market valuations of the vehicle - they might. Case and point, our local dealer offered $3200 above trade-in on army green 4R TRD Pro... which means the open market is even higher (which it was at the time).
Specialty vehicle?? Come on. I love my LC…but…it is not a Lexus LFA….

Sell it how? On forums? On eBay? Facebook marketplace? Let strange people come to your house? Meet strange people at locations?

Time consuming. Time is money for me. Safety. As of now, i am still worth more alive than dead to my family. 😆

And as i have shown above, used car dealers are selling LC/LX at very reasonable non-specialty (almost typical depreciation) prices. For me, used car dealers have the pulse of the car market and are not afraid to screw you out of your last penny!! And for them to price our belove LC/LX at relatively “ordinary” prices at this time (note: market still hot) tells you that we do not own a specialty vehicle no matter how much we may think otherwise.

Last edited:
The strawmanning here is insane. I simply want a good sound system, modern features, and a nice paint job. Clearly if someone wants mediocre/bad sound, 2002 technology, and a 15 year old clear coat, there are plenty of other bone stock vehicles to buy. But as others have pointed out, folks on this forum will tend to be more obsessed with only OEM stock JDM everything even if it kinda sucks. I don't think many non-enthusiasts care as long as it kinda doesn't suck. As others have also pointed out, it's worth whatever someone will pay. I personally would gladly pay a little for more, or at least not less, for a vehicle with upgrades that address some of the TLC's shortcomings. I suspect others would as well.

But yeah, okay, it's a junk salvage truck with a ton of damage that's just a platform for a stereo, and worth less now after repairs than it went for at auction originally. Got it. Thanks for the input.
Well, there's a few different thought streams going on here, so not sure who is making a strawman argument. The fact is your truck wouldn't possibly qualify as a collector's item having a rebuilt title, (i don't think anyone is arguing here that your vehicle is an undriveable salvage wreck, so why you keep harping on the semantics of calling it salvage vs rebuilt, something about pots and kettles being black comes to mind with regards to strawmen).

I know your stereo probably required quite a bit of effort to install, but the 99% of consumers would consider spending $1k on a stereo outlandish if they were having it installed fresh, so as a secondary sales item there is 0 chance yours would get more value than that. And if they had any idea what they were doing the only thing they would see is a Chinese android box that could die at any time and a stereo based on a mini-dsp box that could crap out any time. Then they'd be left with all the effort that replacing either of those components would require. Most people have trouble just setting up techstream to talk to their truck, could you imagine attempting to rebuild an android box or a minidsp. And really, the entire conversation about the stereo is really moot. The point is, the only reason to keep the factory paint would be to maintain collectability and factory specifications. You can't argue that ripping out the stereo/hvac electronics of the truck robs the vehicle of a core OEM interface for the truck.

So once again, no matter where you place the current value of your truck, changing the color won't make a difference. Your truck will never (or at least not for a long, long time) be a collectible version of the 200 series platform, so it won't matter if you change the color or not. It will never be more than a "clean driver" because of the high miles (over 100k is a lot for a "collector's item") and it has a rebuilt title, basically a non-starter for a collector's vehicle. So do what you want with the paint, the world is your oyster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom