WIll this custom paint kill resale value? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '08 TLC is in need of a paint job (body damage on multiple panels). It's currently metallic silver/grey. I love the look of the limited edition OD green TRD 4Runner with blacked out emblems, wheels, windows, etc. I'd love to do this to my Croozah, but I don't want to kill its resale value if I ever need to offload it at some point. Common wisdom dictates that changing paint color negatively effects resale.....but what if it's a super good looking unique color like this? Would this hurt? help? overall resale value? Thanks fellas!

Feature_Friday_Army_Green06.jpg

Short answer is yes if it's a $600 Maaco paint job. Probably not if it's a $10,000 high end job that includes door jambs, under hood, etc. With the mention of body damage and 15yo 200, I'm assuming it won't be the latter.

Thanks fellas. I think I'm gunna go for a kinda "best of both worlds". Factory paint, wrapped in OD green vinyl. Honestly I think the flat military green vinyl looks better, it'll protect the paint, and can be reversed or changed. The paint job itself will be done professional using PPG paint. Maybe not $10-15k custom show car quality, but definitely better than a $2k Maaco job.

Do you have a quote for the vinyl wrap? Just curious what that’s looking like these days.

You should spray it with raptor liner in that color! I’ve wanted to do this in the same color! You must be planning to offload it at some point if you’re concerned with resale. I’d say respray the oem color, maybe wrap it after.

You should spray it with raptor liner in that color! I’ve wanted to do this in the same color! You must be planning to offload it at some point if you’re concerned with resale. I’d say respray the oem color, maybe wrap it after.
If you think you’ll ever resell your truck for anything other than a beater woods truck, DON’T spray the body panels in Raptor or any other type of bed liner material. This will cut your value in half compared to even thrashed factory paint. I’ve seen otherwise decent 80 series done in bedliner and they get majorly dinged on resale, and in my opinion look trashy after a while.

From a resale standpoint, a good quality factory color paint job and a wrap like you are discussing is probably the best bet. Or, wrap it now and you can save the respray decision for much later, as long as there’s no rust issues.

If changing the color I would hands down go for the wrap over a paint job. If you want to respray it then I would stick with the factory color from a reputable shop who does the proper prep work.

What is the resale value on a 15-year old banged up LC? Probably not much, right? So, resale value is probably the least of your worries...sell it and get what? A Yugo? Pontiac Aztec? Bicycle?

I love the color you have in mind. If you spend top dollar on the paint, and plan to resell, you'll probably never get your money back. If you spend very little, you'll also probably never get the money back on resale. Long story short, custom paint doesn't add to resale value 9 out of 10 times.
If you really want to do it right, you may want to learn to paint yourself, because it's about 90% labor, 10 % materials. Learning to paint autobody/motorcycles has been one of the most rewarding hobbies that I've undertaken. It's a lot of work, but worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle...also if you plan to sell it :p Painting a LC200 is probably not a great first job, however: it's a beast of a job.

What is the resale value on a 15-year old banged up LC? Probably not much, right? So, resale value is probably the least of your worries...sell it and get what? A Yugo? Pontiac Aztec? Bicycle?
Definitely get the Aztec...:rofl:

In my experience, wrapping older cars doesn’t work well. You can see all the paint issues through the wrap.

Thats exactly it. We are all locked in at this point. Not a single vehicle fits the replacement bill.

Common wisdom dictates that changing paint color negatively effects resale

Wait you guys are planning on selling your cruisers? Who does that lol

Tell all the folks that had average condition 80 series 15 years ago that resale doesn’t matter….
While I don’t plan to sell my 08 anytime soon, a poorly considered bad paint job or bedliner job could easily make a $20k truck with pretty decent resale possibilities a $10k rig to most buyers.

I say paint the thing whatever colour you like. If it's a good quality job it shouldn't affect resale. To the right person (eg. Me) a unique colour probably would increase the value.
The 200 series colours are super boring compared to early landcruisers.
A unique colour separates it from the rest, heaps better than grey!

It will look great... as long as you promise not to put those wheels on it.:p

Tell all the folks that had average condition 80 series 15 years ago that resale doesn’t matter….
While I don’t plan to sell my 08 anytime soon, a poorly considered bad paint job or bedliner job could easily make a $20k truck with pretty decent resale possibilities a $10k rig to most buyers.
So, you’re telling me that a 15+ years old BANGED-up LC with nice coat of paint is worth $20k or more??

Oh ok..…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom