Not another will this tire fit thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry,

I searched but I don’t see the wheel/tire combo anywhere.
I’ve got a link to the Google sheet as well and not a lot of help there.

So, what do you all think about this wheel/tire setup in a ‘14 LX?
How much rubbing can I expect? Can I get away with just pushing the inner fender up and AHC sensor lift?

MR318 wheels. 18x8.5 +40 offset.
285/70R18 tires.

I’m thinking the 285 is same as stock so should be Ok with clearance, also the offset gives me 20mm to work with although the wheel is .5 wider and will take some of that.
33.7in should fit with sensor lift and some minor messaging of the inner fender, based on what I’ve read so far.

I’ve searched for that specific tire size and for the wheel but couldn’t find anything

Sorry,

I searched but I don’t see the wheel/tire combo anywhere.
I’ve got a link to the Google sheet as well and not a lot of help there.

So, what do you all think about this wheel/tire setup in a ‘14 LX?
How much rubbing can I expect? Can I get away with just pushing the inner fender up and AHC sensor lift?

MR318 wheels. 18x8.5 +40 offset.
285/70R18 tires.

I’m thinking the 285 is same as stock so should be Ok with clearance, also the offset gives me 20mm to work with although the wheel is .5 wider and will take some of that.
33.7in should fit with sensor lift and some minor messaging of the inner fender, based on what I’ve read so far.

I’ve searched for that specific tire size and for the wheel but couldn’t find anything

+40 offset is the ticket to maximize fitment and clearances. Doesn't get better than that.

This is the way. Proceed.

I ended up with the 295/70r18 wild peaks.

Looks like others have had decent success fitting without issue, so hoping I’ll be able to just push the fender liners in and heat up areas to make them fit.

I ended up with the 295/70r18 wild peaks.

Looks like others have had decent success fitting without issue, so hoping I’ll be able to just push the fender liners in and heat up areas to make them fit.
How did they end up ? Pictures? Thinking of doing the same to my LX570.

Overall it went well.

I shot s bunch of video of all the steps, but haven’t edited it all yet.

Waiting on some 5mm spacers as the tire touches the UCA but only when pushing the wheel at full lock.
I’m hoping 5-10mm spacers resolve that.

IMG_0538.jpeg

Overall it went well.

Waiting on some 5mm spacers as the tire touches the UCA but only when pushing the wheel at full lock.

View attachment 3359208

Unless rubbing is severe why bother with a 5mm spacer?

Because I can hear it if I’m in a parking lot.
And that’s reason enough to play with some spacers and see if I can stop it.

Overall it went well.

View attachment 3359208

Great tire choice but the taller tire does get into fitment challenges that the shorter 285 won't, including clearance against the UCA. Be advised that clearance is most constrained when under full compression and steering lock. 5mm may or may not do it.

Check this out
UCA interference.

@nwfl4runner pointed out that there would be rub on the UCA at full compression, at least with an effective wheel offset of +35mm (stock wheel with 1" spacers). I ordered 1.25" spacers to make the necessary clearance.

After getting the spacers in and trying things out, I wasn't completely sold on that strategy for several reasons. I want the tires flush with the fenders. The tire clearance to the top of the fender is finger nails tight with 1" and could have contact with any more. Tire within the fender line also keeps body aero at speed as a big 35 outside of the body lines will contribute to additional drag. As I wanted to keep the stock mud flap, the spacer created tighter clearance there as the tire steered. 1" spacers puts scrub radius geometry closer to optimal. With larger tires and more spacer, also potentially creates additional stress on bearings and running components.

Close in and tight was really what I wanted. Considered going down the path of UCAs as many of them are lower profile in build. May still go down this path. Yet my suspension is barely lifted (.75") and I didn't necessarily want the alignment changes with an aftermarket UCA.

With nothing to lose, out comes the angle grinder. A useful tool when solving interference issues. :)

Marked the cut around the tire witness marks. Making a gentle curve to ensure no stress risers.

View attachment 2473859

Cut, grinded smooth, and a nice coat of paint
View attachment 2473862

I was going to weld and box material back in. Cut relatively little material away and the UCA is plenty strong there so no structural concerns in my mind. Given the geometry and strength primarily needed on the horizontal plane, these things are potentially still stronger in those directions than some aftermarket UCAs.

Oooooh, I would rather let it rub then cut the UCA.

Any cracking or bending over the last 2-3 years?
I don’t think my interference is that bad, honestly I don’t see witness marks like in your pictures. I just know it’s touching.

I got out there last night and I think what I was hearing was the fender liner rubbing. After a couple hot days last week it was trying to go back to its original shape.

I heated it back up and did a lot more reshaping to hopefully keep it out of the way.
Drilling a new clip hole in the liner and stretching to the inside might be the way to go long term.

@nvsmythe Do you have any pics of the side showing how far the tires extend past the fenders?

Looking at this same set of rims for a 16' LX570....MR318 wheels. 18x8.5 +40 offset

Thanks

IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0849.jpeg

Front is just a hair outside the fender, the rear you can’t see behind the mud flap.

Ignore the dirt and Mud, I just got back from the Kentucky Toyota Trail Ride last weekend and haven’t washed it.

I would not go with any higher offset on a 295.
I have rubbing in the driver side sway bar, not enough to not drive it, but enough that it rubbed the paint off.
My eBay 5mm spacers wouldn’t fit over the hub, i haven’t looked for another set.
10mm or more spacers I feel you would need to get longer studs, I wouldn’t be comfortable with the few threads left for the lugs,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom