Will the 80 be a classic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Electric vehicles are without soul. Life is more and more cookie cutter blah every year that passes.

I think that statement can apply to pretty much any late model vehicle. :eek:

California has a great power grid.

Except when it's hot.

Or windy.

California has abundant renewable energy resources.

Except when it's hot.

Or when you want to do s***, like when you get home from work... and it's hot.

This is a hellscape of a state that sucks anything fun and joyful out of life and replaces it with crap and then puts a gun to your head and asks you to smile because government can make things even worse for you.

This is a hellscape of a state that sucks anything fun and joyful out of life and replaces it with crap and then puts a gun to your head and asks you to smile because government can make things even worse for you.

Why not move? Plenty of people will pay top dollar to live in NorCal (or as you put it: Hell). But then you couldn't b*tch about California anymore. It's a tough decision.

Why not move? Plenty of people will pay top dollar to live in NorCal (or as you put it: Hell). But then you couldn't b*tch about California anymore. It's a tough decision.
Family obligations keep me from moving, but soon I can leave forever. Hopefully before this place becomes literally hell again with another round of wildfires.

I've appreciated the informed and opinionated discussion here about electric vehicles.
I'm hoping to get one in the next few years, probably a used Chevy Bolt.
I'm excited about the Rivian vehicles, too, and how they fare on the trail.

I’m in Food and Ag. I’m a part of the small minority that tries to fight back for what little rights remain.

If we don’t pay attention and remain silent, then the legislators will continue to do dumb stuff like make nunchucks illegal to “protect the youth” because they saw them in a Bruce Lee movie in 1974.

I have been wheeling for decades and for my usage, a stock 250ish mile range is enough to get me to the trail and back to the nearest gas station. I do not do really do "expedition" style wheeling where I won't see a gas station in over 300 miles. I do not carry a jerry can and never really came too close to needing one. Many electric vehicles actually have a better range at low speed than they do on the highway and use next to nothing "idling"

For some folks, that will be a limiting factor for sure, but for me, as soon as I get to 250+ range and the charging infrastructure is up to snuff, I'll be good. The drivetrain itself is really well suited for trail duty, or towing for that matter. The vehicle technology is pretty much there. The infrastructure part is probably another 15-20 years out.

When I am out hunting or scouting, I am two to three hours from a paved road usually and then it is another half hour to get to "civilization" if you call places like Seligman or Jacob Lake AZ civilization. Normally we bring 15 to 25 gallons of fuel, per vehicle, extra and plan on going to town for more, once during the trip. We stay out a week to ten days normally. About 30% of the time we are in low on the way to the areas we will hunt (The rougher the better so as to limit the "road hunters"). Add off road lights and heat (oh God, lots of heat!) as about half the time we are in the dark, the electrical toll increases.

I see no way an electric vehicle could function this way (unless you bring a generator :rolleyes:).

For short day outings, I think they have merit. The low end torque of an electrical motor far surpasses what a fueled vehicle can produce. Not sure how it works for "engine braking" though. :hmm:

I’m in Food and Ag. I’m a part of the small minority that tries to fight back for what little rights remain.

If we don’t pay attention and remain silent, then the legislators will continue to do dumb stuff like make nunchucks illegal to “protect the youth” because they saw them in a Bruce Lee movie in 1974.

I'm sure you've all been fighting against seatbelts, the banning of automatic weapons, smog regulations, and nunchuck and billyclub legalities for forever. Keep up the good work. I desperately miss my 18th century right to carry a sword and my 19th century right to challenge anyone to a duel with pistols. There were just as many hacks back then complaining about "impinging on rights" and whatever else for what we think is asinine today. The "right" to drive whatever the hell you want is not a right. It's a preference.

What's so tiring is this constant barrage of insults toward a state that a TON of people obviously love. That's why they're there. I've seen this attitude on these forums before and I just don't get the need to bash something in a thread that has nothing to do with California. They're crackpot jabs with no context. Nunchucks? Come on, man.

The 80 is already a classic. Discontinuation of the Land Cruiser nameplate, if true , will only serve to drive up prices. The 80 series is perhaps Toyotas finest achievement in the legacy of the nameplate built during Toyota‘s golden era.

This is all fine, and good having prices rise, until you stop to think about all the country's that are planing to do away with the internal combustion engine in the very near future. Don't forget that the state of California has already put into law that they will not allow any new gasoline powered cars, or trucks to be sold in the state by 2035.

I just read last night that the country of Japan has plans in place to stop all production of cars, and trucks with internal combustion engines by the mid 2030's, and only make electric vehicles after that.

Once the switch happens you can be assured that many other country's and states will follow suit, and after infrastructure for electric cars becomes more common place (you know, kind of like what we have now, a gas station on every corner) the days of gasoline powered cars are limited.

Now i know some of you my say that will never happen. I'm sure the guys who use to make horse and buggy whips for a living use to say the same thing when gasoline powered cars first came out, we all know how that ended.

As for me, in a few years i planned to give my Land Cruiser to my grand daughter. But after reading the above story, and seeing what the future holds for gasoline powered cars. It just might be a better idea to sell while the markets hot, and not end up holding a gasoline powered buggy whip, so to speak. YMMV

I guess based on the end of the combustion engine, most nonelectric cars will be a collector‘s item!

However, I would venture to say the ~$200 Billion and 10 million job producing US gas and oil industry might be able to hang on a bit longer than the whips and buggies, just saying!

I think that statement can apply to pretty much any late model vehicle. :eek:
Electric motors add that over the top type of ghey though. Told my wife that my next car will be mule. At least a mule has some attitude.

Not sure how it works for "engine braking" though.

Not to derail the thread any further, but EV's can "engine brake" very well using regenerative braking.

I guess based on the end of the combustion engine, most nonelectric cars will be a collector‘s item!

However, I would venture to say the ~$200 Billion and 10 million job producing US gas and oil industry might be able to hang on a bit longer than the whips and buggies, just saying!
I wouldn't count on them becoming collectors items anymore then horse drawn wagons were after gasoline powered cars took over in the early 20TH century. The reason for that, once electric cars take off, and the infrastructure to fully support them is widespread.

That's when repair, and replacement part suppliers for gasoline powered cars will begin to stop making parts for them. Along with those parts suppliers dropping off, you'll also start to see a small reduction in gasoline stations in the beginning.

But as time goes by, there will be less and less gasoline stations to support the limited number of gasoline powered cars still on the road, thereby shrinking their numbers even further. That reduction in demand for oil and gasoline will force major oil and gas producers to look for other ways to make money.

As for the lost of those 10 million oil, and gas jobs you quoted, that's no different then what 100's of thousands of workers are experiencing right now, with job lost due to automation. They'll have to deal with it the best way they can.

Time marches on for all of us, i don't think I'll see the end of gasoline powered cars in my lifetime due to my age, but I'm sure my 11 year old grand daughter will see it in hers.

Last edited:
clas·sic

/ˈklasik/

adjective

1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
"a classic novel"
“a classic offroad vehicle”

noun

1. a work of art of recognized and established value.
"his books have become classics"
“those 80 series Toyota Landcruisers have become classics”

Last edited:
When I am out hunting or scouting, I am two to three hours from a paved road usually and then it is another half hour to get to "civilization" if you call places like Seligman or Jacob Lake AZ civilization. Normally we bring 15 to 25 gallons of fuel, per vehicle, extra and plan on going to town for more, once during the trip. We stay out a week to ten days normally. About 30% of the time we are in low on the way to the areas we will hunt (The rougher the better so as to limit the "road hunters"). Add off road lights and heat (oh God, lots of heat!) as about half the time we are in the dark, the electrical toll increases.

I see no way an electric vehicle could function this way (unless you bring a generator :rolleyes:).

For short day outings, I think they have merit. The low end torque of an electrical motor far surpasses what a fueled vehicle can produce. Not sure how it works for "engine braking" though. :hmm:
All great points. :beer: Yeah, I don't think electric will ever be able to fill that role, or at least not until the technology fundamentally changes. I wish I had a full week to get lost in the woods--I can't remember the last time I took more than 5 days of vacation :( As far as engine braking, an electric drivetrain can easily be on par with a crawl-box equipped manual transmission. I rarely even touch the brakes in my car, it stops itself :)

Anyhoo, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I love many gas-burning classics and even many mundane ones. I just think that people who view the electrification of vehicles as the end of the world probably have not driven one. I view the prospect of converting a classic car as one potential way to prolong its usefulness and keep it relevant and on the road if government mandates, etc ever force the issue. Kind of like hot rodding. I don't think there would be more than two dozen 1932 fords on the road today if people didn't take to gussying up and modernizing them, but now you can see them at any given show and shine meet.

Last edited:
Back to the retrospective point of this 5 and 1/2 year old thread, there are a couple of nice 80’s on BaT that end in the next couple of days, I am confident the results will indicate that the 80 is a classic and on value par and higher to other mass produced classics of the era.

As far as electrification, yes there will be much more, I am just not confident it will be 100% and the end of fossil fuels in the timeline (~20 year) most have discussed here. The majority of this country is rural in nature and it will take many more years than 20 and much more money to create an infrastructure to support all electric mobilization and utilization.

I'm sure you've all been fighting against seatbelts, the banning of automatic weapons, smog regulations, and nunchuck and billyclub legalities for forever. Keep up the good work. I desperately miss my 18th century right to carry a sword and my 19th century right to challenge anyone to a duel with pistols. There were just as many hacks back then complaining about "impinging on rights" and whatever else for what we think is asinine today. The "right" to drive whatever the hell you want is not a right. It's a preference.

What's so tiring is this constant barrage of insults toward a state that a TON of people obviously love. That's why they're there. I've seen this attitude on these forums before and I just don't get the need to bash something in a thread that has nothing to do with California. They're crackpot jabs with no context. Nunchucks? Come on, man.

You missed the point of nunchucks. The point was a law was passed by a legislator in the 1970’s based on what they saw on TV and how they felt. No data, no proof, no need. It passed because no one fought against it. It still stands because no one bothers to challenge it. It’s a silly law that effects virtually no one.

I did find it pretty humorous that I could go to the dojo and train with swords but not the “killing sticks”.

If government as never done you wrong, you’re blessed. Us Californians and others aren’t bashing California. It’s a great place with lots to do. They (We) who are doing the bashing the state legislatures and appointed policy makers. Why, because they do stupid, stupid things.

Read about Leland Yee for a great example.

Turning back to Land Cruisers in general.

Imagine if the minority in California didn’t voice an opposing opinion? If it weren’t for The Friends of the Rubicon, the Rubicon Trail would probably have been closed. Oceano Dunes, Glamis, the Mojave Trail, Dusy Ershim.... how many would be closed now and set precedent for an Administrative Law Judge to close a trail near you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom