Will the 80 be a classic? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The main appeal of an 80 (to us) is the solid front axle and factory lockers. Unfortunately I don't think that makes it a classic. IMO a "classic" is car that has appreciated in value because it appeals to a wide audience like your 50s-60s muscle cars. An FJ40 is another example. They're just all around "cool" trucks to the masses. FJ55, not so much because even many of my non-LC friends think they're ugly.

I think the 80 is too modern in terms of looks for it to be a classic right now. Maybe in another 15-20 years. Right now I put them in the same bucket as first gen 4Runners and mini trucks. Sought after, but only by a small demographic.

I think of my Karmann Ghia as a classic. Even if mint not worth much.

I realize the guy just runs a business, but look at Jonathan ward... Charges a ton for work on cars that have a great amount of value to its owners... I think the 80s are probably the newest vehicles he's doing his makeovers on... At least that I know about
That says something

Maybe that's just because the newer series aren't old enough to need makeovers

Last edited:
TLC is just down the street from me now that they moved from Van Nuys to a huge warehouse in Chatsworth. My powder coater is actually across the street from them. Maybe I should stop in and see if they are actually doing anything with the 80. I doubt it but then again I don't follow him at all.

In Europe HDJ 80s in good condition are now 20,000 euro plus....

Classic according to Webster's:

1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

Classic car according to Wikipedia:
  1. A classic car is an older automobile; the exact definition varies around the world. The Classic Car Club of America maintains that a car must be between 30 and 49 years old to be a classic, while cars between 50 and 99 fall into a pre-antique class, and cars 100 years and older fall into the Antique Class.

Just not getting it. Maybe in another 20 years maybe?

Are you people too young?

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing.

But seriously?

It's the last solid axle LC brought to the states. The it sold as many examples in its entire run as the jeep xj sold in one year. It will be / is collectable and always has been the torchbearer in its class. While it may not be fully considered a 'classic' yet I have no doubt it will be.

TLC is just down the street from me now that they moved from Van Nuys to a huge warehouse in Chatsworth. My powder coater is actually across the street from them. Maybe I should stop in and see if they are actually doing anything with the 80. I doubt it but then again I don't follow him at all.
he's done several 80s...

<- VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED, he badmouths 3FEs :p

<- well... he gives the 1fz no love in this one either....

there are probably more

I really like my 80, but a classic? I don't think so, at least not yet. My 40 certainly, but I think the 60 series is much more of a classic. When I think classic I think '56 Chev, '67 Mustang, '68 Camaro, all vehicles with classic lines and simplicity. My 60 series is simple, the 80... not as simple. I see vehicles on the road that at first glance I think might be an 80 series, but turns out not to be. When I see a 60 series, theres no mistaking it for anything else. Finding a clean, unmolested 60 series is getting hard(er) to find, clean, unmolested 80 series are much easier to find, though being from Canada, 80 series are impossible to find, literally. Then again, I biased towards 60 series, solid axles, leaf springs, no goofy OBD anything

I was able to get State Farm to recognize that my 93 with 156k and slightly built warranted "special" evaluation. They recognized its rising value. Took 5 weeks but was able to get 16k for it totaled. A rising classic for sure if maintained. Just Paid 6500 for new to me clean 200k mike 97. Now spending money on accessories to get back where I was. I will insure for 15k when done. Agent wants me to state value now. Less than 20 a year for declaring value up front. In another 20 years they will surpass the 40's in value. Yea I am biased. Love the 80's

Neither one of those are very interesting. I expected far better.
they're not like his 40s, or reformers, or derelicts, or broncos, that's for sure... but he still gets paid bookoo bucks to build those things up the way he does, i'm sure....

Im sorry and I know I'm going to get flamed for this but the 60 was not a revolution in design, IMO that generation was a yawn in the TLC line up. The iron pig brought the wagon style to to the range, the 60 refined the looks, added (after a long while) an under-powered fuel injected 3FE yet retained leaf springs and no ultimately had no real advantage over jeeps, it had very wrong approach, departure and breakover angles and generally was more of a body on frame XJ than a LC. Then the 80 came which added TONS of creature comforts, a 4 link coil sprung (unheard of at the time) rear suspension. Optional fully locked set up 200+ HP, the 80 was a revolution to the landcruiser far more than the 60 was.

And I do have love for the 60, they dont hold a candle to the 80's though.

Classic? Probably not.

Cult status? Already there.

:flipoff2:

It's funny, wife and I were on a road trip with our 80 today and we were talking about the collectibility on these trucks going up and wondering if we should get stated value insurance. Our truck is in very good condition and has had a lot of maintenance done over the years. I honestly don't think I could replace it for under 20k.

IMG_20201207_110032315.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom