Will it make it 950 miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was Carls Jr. Although I was shocked to see in n out in Southern OR off of i-5

I lived in Ashland and that In-N-Out in Medford is the only one I’ve ever been to.

My concern with this dummy flange is it doesn't hold the axle in place with no snap ring on axle.

Yes! I knew something didn’t seem right, couldn’t put my finger on it.

It doesn't, but what does that matter when nothing is turning?

Wheel is turning, and bearings, and possibly axle some small bit just from friction (unless front diff is jammed). Knuckle is moving with suspension and steering is putting forces on. I bet axle will saw its way in and out without the ring. I could imagine this turning into necessitating a new axle/drive flange/possible spindle (knuckle?!). Fine if the problem is like @ramangain (still better to remove prop shaft) and those have to be replaced anyway, but not so good if it’s a blown front diff. Maybe better to pull axles and stuff a rag in the back of the knuckle? Of course still far from ideal but...

My vote is for machined flanges without the spline, still use the clip.

@medtro , what’s your setup? Splineless flanges? Remove front diff & axles (how to seal back of knuckle?)?

So I must ask now. In the situation I was in, what should I have done differently?
Keep in mind a 6k lbs trailer was attached, so jacking up the front or rear would put hella stress on the frame. Uncoupling the trailer was also not an option due to my attitude and energy level at the time.

Double double animal style, a chocolate shake, OEM axles, and grease around the snap ring.

Otherwise, can't argue with results. If it works, it works.

Edit: Theory confirmed. I did not pass out.
DDASCS.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, I’m glad I keep @TheForger’s tool in my rig now. Crazy that it didn’t throw off balance noticeably.

The tool is concentric, by both mass and design, around the center of the axle. I don't feel anything different with it installed while driving.

Update, yay!

@Mauser (many thanks once again) and I finally started inspecting all of this in detail and found what appears to be the root cause of the failure. Both spindle nuts (the ones your torque to get proper pre-load) spun forward on the spindle and somehow took the intermediate piece (the one with the bendable tabs) with it. I had the tabs bent to secure the spindle nuts, but I guess not aggressively enough. The outer spindle nut appears to have fused/welded to the end of the spindle, probably from outrageous heat and consistent pressure of being pushed against the hub flange. 1100 lb-ft of torque from an impact driver did not loosen it in either direction.

The only thing keeping my wheel on was the fused outer spindle nut and the brake caliper. Needless to say, the whole hub assembly has been wobbly since this calamity began, and it would explain why the snap ring failed in the first place. Funny part is that the only way this felt different from behind the wheel was a soft brake pedal on the 1st push (the caliper pistons and pads were compressing on the disc to "straighten" the wheel out at the beginning of braking) and a slightly more vague steering feel.

Looks like some part shopping are in order to get this sucker fixed once and for all.

Oh, and the @TheForger CV axle puller tool is still working perfectly!

Final update, rig is fixed. Outstanding help from @Mauser . Ended up being a completely welded outer spindle nut that had fused itself to the spindle and destroyed the outer threads. Replacement spindle, axle, hub, new front brake pads, and everything is sorted.

I hate wheel bearing jobs!

Final update, rig is fixed. Outstanding help from @Mauser . Ended up being a completely welded outer spindle nut that had fused itself to the spindle and destroyed the outer threads. Replacement spindle, axle, hub, new front brake pads, and everything is sorted.

I hate wheel bearing jobs!

That was a fun project. Thanks for letting me help.

Ended up being a completely welded outer spindle nut that had fused itself to the spindle and destroyed the outer threads.
Wonder how hot it got for that to happen?
1609256932584.gif

It did require Mauser's mechanic's flame thrower to cut the spindle nut, then some fairly determined chiseling for him to split it wide enough apart to pry and chisel off of the end of the spindle. The locking nut slid right off, and the inner spindle nut spun off with some effort using the 54mm socket.

It actually looked to me like everything survived OK and would be resuable (minus the wheel bearing/races, outer spindle nut, and having to rethread the spindle) afterwards. Even the rear oil seal on the hub was fine.

TOP TIP: when installing the front brake pads using the Mr. T shim kit, don't guess and just follow the supplied directions if you can read them. The outer shiny metallic shim is a royal PITA otherwise.

In retrospect, what I did was DANGEROUS. Had that outer spindle nut failed at any time, it would have been game over in a spectacular way.

Another bonus to replacing the axle and hub flange - my driveline thunk completely disappeared (for now).

Maybe you could find a pipe/tube that is 1.5~2" tall, that can go over the axle and rest on the hub flange. Then use a bolt/washer to snug that up, then you don't have that big contraption hanging off of the wheel.

Basically the same thing as the toyota bolt, you just use some pipe to space it out and hold the axle out in the right spot.

Warning, extremely detailed diagram ahead.
View attachment 2498311
I ended up using this exact method (with multiple washers for size reduction purposes) before I replaced everything with good parts. Works like a charm, less than $5 in parts from Lowes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom