Will it make it 950 miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ramangain

Clarksonian disciple
Threads
Towing from OR to NM, the DS snap ring broke and the end of the axle got chewed smooth. Am I stuck? NOPE

I installed @TheForger axle pulling tool.

Will I make it the last 950 miles without issue? We'll see!

^^^^ @flintknapper beat me to it. I had the exact same thing happen to me as what happened to you a few years back. I bought as short as possible M8-1.25 bolt at a hardware store and an assortment of fender washers. I stacked a lock washer on the bolt first then an ascending diameter of fender washers underneath to back up the bolt head with the innermost washer being big enough to bump up against the lip and cover the diameter of the drive flange.

Once it was all fitted, I disassembled, cleaned threads and applied red threadlock to the bolt threads so that it wouldn't back out. Finally I cut out a plastic yogurt cup and used that on top of the contraption with some gorilla tape to keep water and dirt out as best as possible.

There was a good bit of play and clunk, but that setup got me home where the repair could be made and bought me enough time to source and receive parts. I checked it often to ensure it didn't work loose but the threadlock held solid. Good luck with your field fix and hope you make it safely to your destination.

Towing from OR to NM, the DS snap ring broke and the end of the axle got chewed smooth. Am I stuck? NOPE

I installed @TheForger axle pulling tool.

Will I make it the last 950 miles without issue? We'll see!
Wait...like you’re driving with it still attached?? That’s genius man I never would’ve even thought to have done that! You gotta get a picture hahah. Best of luck to you and hope you make it home safe and sound! I too have extra snap rings but it doesn’t look like you’ll be anywhere near me or I’d deliver them to you

Yes, driving with it installed. So far so good.

Snap rings won't work anymore. That end of the axle is worn completely smooth. There is no groove for a snap ring anymore.

Came down I-5 and cutting over to I-40 passing Bakersfield currently. ABQ is the end point

^^^^ @flintknapper beat me to it. I had the exact same thing happen to me as what happened to you a few years back. I bought as short as possible M8-1.25 bolt at a hardware store and an assortment of fender washers. I stacked a lock washer on the bolt first then an ascending diameter of fender washers underneath to back up the bolt head with the innermost washer being big enough to bump up against the lip and cover the diameter of the drive flange.

Once it was all fitted, I disassembled, cleaned threads and applied red threadlock to the bolt threads so that it wouldn't back out. Finally I cut out a plastic yogurt cup and used that on top of the contraption with some gorilla tape to keep water and dirt out as best as possible.

There was a good bit of play and clunk, but that setup got me home where the repair could be made and bought me enough time to source and receive parts. I checked it often to ensure it didn't work loose but the threadlock held solid. Good luck with your field fix and hope you make it safely to your destination.
Before Toyota got all stupid with non-serviceable wheel bearings on 4Runners and Pickups, they used the same hub and hub flange design as what’s on 80 and 100 series Cruisers. As part of that design, all 89-95 4Runners and Pickups had both a circlip on the CV axle AND a “backup” bolt with washer in the end of the CV axle, under the dust cap.

F6C61A5C-2AF4-4A64-9D48-FA3B77278F55.jpeg

@ramangain You can try buying this Toyota bolt with washer from a dealer, but no idea if they keep it in stock. It will screw into the end of the CV axle but I don’t know if the washer diameter is large enough to keep the axle from pulling out, because those early 4Runner/Pickup CV axles were 27-spline rather than the 30-spline that 100s use.

2C172D8B-B0AF-4DE0-8B4D-321E19391AA4.jpeg

Yes, driving with it installed. So far so good.

Snap rings won't work anymore. That end of the axle is worn completely smooth. There is no groove for a snap ring anymore.

Came down I-5 and cutting over to I-40 passing Bakersfield currently. ABQ is the end point

Well if you need it when you get into Albuquerque I have a new aftermarket axle and a hub flange I carry for spares.

So is you 100 towing another vehicle or is the 100 getting towed? Either way good luck!

Well I am very happy to hear that it's helped you get closer to home, I hope you can make it the rest of the way safely! I honestly never thought about using it for that purpose but now I will throw one in my recovery bag as an emergency trail/roadside fix. I'm guessing you just tightened everything down very snug and sent it?? Good thing the holes are centered so it shouldn't make your wheel too far out of balance

It's working like a champ. This newfound use should be near the top of the marketing highlights.

I just passed Flagstaff. Without this tool, I'd still be stuck at a Toyota dealership somewhere near Bakersfield, California, with my dog and enclosed trailer.

Ok lets have a picture

Taken last night. Looks the same today just dirtier

Had to see the picture to believe you were driving with it mounted- and its not flung itself off-:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom