Why you use your emergency brake! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had to check my 94 on this for fun.

In park turned the truck on. Left it in D, turned off. My ignition would not return to far right "lock", stopped at ACC (TDC). With the truck left in D, engine off, parking off; my truck started to roll backwards until I applied the brakes and stopped. BUT my keys were in the ignition and could not remove them until I put it in Park. As well with the key in the locked position (engine off) and can't shift into any other gear.

I'll join in on offering regrets for your accident. Not to sound too depressing - or vulture like - but if it is totaled, please grab the driver's side mirror if your inclined to part it out or maybe just pull a piece or two before handing it over - I'd like to be first in line if it's not broken on the hanging tabs. Sorry, just leaping at the potential opportunity; too bad it was created...

Gosh, it is just too depressing seeing so many 80 got messed up lately. Sorry about the loss, I bet the insurance will write it off.

I'll join in on offering regrets for your accident. Not to sound too depressing - or vulture like - but if it is totaled, please grab the driver's side mirror if your inclined to part it out or maybe just pull a piece or two before handing it over - I'd like to be first in line if it's not broken on the hanging tabs. Sorry, just leaping at the potential opportunity; too bad it was created...

i would assume he would buy it back if it was totalled. go figure

wow.

that looks almost identical to my LX wreck that got totaled...

And it looks considerably worse than mine did when it was totaled. I'm going to guess the estimate is somewhere around $7K. And by the time they add in the salvage value (probably $2K), it's probably a total loss. Obviously you could fix it yourself much cheaper - the problem is the body shop estimate assumes all new parts where you could source good used ones and save most of the labor that they charge $50/hour for.

Our estimate was over $6K.
DSC01559.jpg
DSC01564.jpg

Sorry to here about the damage to your truck:frown:, especially since you had it for only two months and it looks like it's in excellent shape. I had similar damage to my veh a few months ago, but on pass side. I guess I should consider myself lucky as my insurance company decided to fix it since these vehs (LX450's) are rare in Canada (no Land Cruisers sold here since 1988?). Total cost of my repair was CAN$8500.00, but that was with all new Toyota parts (they couldn't find any used parts in Canada), and thru the dealership. Gook luck!

Mike,

Sorry to see this happen and only after 2 mos.? You really are always in a hurry- aren't you? Is that my old front bumper??? I was going to say that looks pretty good with the liner product, but, umm- ouch! Keep us updated.

Sorry to hear it mang :frown:

Kinda odd that the key could be removed without being in Park though :confused:

In mine, even if I mine in Park, with the button depressed, the key won't come out until I let go of it :hmm:

In my 91 FJ80, I did have a rollaway once when one of my idiot co-workers yanked the T-case into neutral :bang:

Luckily, it stopped when it hit a curb cause any further and it would've ended up in a trench :doh:

you might try posting up on the ONSC forum (nc chapter) for some local suggestions if you are going to repair it and/or want a mechanic referral in the area.

This is a good reminder, I have jumped out of the truck once, with it idling in drive. Thankfully, I had the parking brake on. I was taught in drivers ed to always put the parking brake on, then place the vehicle in park. By habit I still do this, every time, even on flat ground, or in the garage. Even though it may not always be needed, the habit means I won't forget when it really counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom