Why 100-series? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 200 is super cool, new tech. I had a 2012 (Mark 1 200 series). That’s heavier than my 06LX (2UZFE VVTi) and 2005 LC (1HDFTE) a few yrs ago -both have AHC. I’m not a horsepower fanatic, but I love the torque. The 100 is more plush inside and out, and body lines, the curves of the 100 series has more character in my book. My 3UR 200 series had more mid and top end power but I don’t like the seats and side door upholstery. I feel my 100s have better comfort experience but the 200 is quicker, more powerful. Adulting has me lean more on the subtle things and the 100 gives me more of that than the 200. Sold my my 05 LC for a 2012 LC and now I’m back to a 100.
9DA040F6-97A7-4A4F-AB38-B7505EBE4761.jpeg
945D48AA-EFED-408B-9262-DF132487CFD8.jpeg
E095BC53-7AAC-4AFD-930A-6D45FFDB9263.jpeg

The other thing for me as the cost difference allowed me to turn my 100 into what I've always wanted, fully locked, comfortable, go anywhere reliable and look good while doing it everyday driver. I would have to compromise with a 200, probably wouldn't have lockers or a bumper.

The other thing for me as the cost difference allowed me to turn my 100 into what I've always wanted, fully locked, comfortable, go anywhere reliable and look good while doing it everyday driver. I would have to compromise with a 200, probably wouldn't have lockers or a bumper.

Yep, in exactly the same boat. Crucially the 100 was "just buy it" (way cheaper years ago, not as easy now) instead of "finance it".

Mods are more fun than car payments.

When I deceived that I'd had enough of Land Rover and sold my Disco II I knew I wanted build quality and reliability above all. The 3 main factors for my decision was that a 100 was very affordable (in 2018 at least), new enough it didn't need a full restoration, but old enough I could still work on it myself.

I love the 80 series, but I was concerned an 80 would be more of a project than I wanted (maybe unfounded concern in hindsight) and the 200 was priced out of my reach. The 100 filled the niche for me.

Because I bought the first one before there was a 200 series.

The second one, because I test drove a 200 series, (my kid was trying to talk me into replacing my 100 series with a 200 series, and giving him my 100 series) and I liked my original owner 100 series better. So I bought my kid a used 100 series.

The third one, because of economies of scale… I already own two, the third uses the same spare parts…

I like the 200 series engine, and if buying new, I might feel differently. Maybe I’m overreacting from selling my 80 series too soon, but I’m not selling a 100 series any time soon.

Offroad capability aside id argue my $5k Sienna is a better vehicle for family roads trips than any land cruiser lolz I’m dead serious too
I'm with you. I had a 1998 Sienna when my kids were small. That thing was smooth and comfy. My daughter crashed it 😕

I'm with you. I had a 1998 Sienna when my kids were small. That thing was smooth and comfy. My daughter crashed it 😕

For family road trips NOTHING beats a minivan, absolutely nothing. The comfort you get outta a minivan and ride is just unbelievable. No suv can come close to minivan functionality in that aspect imho.

For family road trips NOTHING beats a minivan, absolutely nothing. The comfort you get outta a minivan and ride is just unbelievable. No suv can come close to minivan functionality in that aspect imho.
The space too. My Sienna has close to double the cargo space of a 200 based on the specs. And its super low to the ground. I literally put my 8'-10' fishing kayak and several large 1-piece rods in it along with a ton of other gear on a regular basis and still have room for 3 people. I couldnt dream of doing that in my 100 or 80. Yeah it doesn't have any cool factor to it buy it's the most practical car I've ever owned. I use it for work too. We had 3 05 Siennas at one point, sold one due to rust.

Offroad capability aside id argue my $5k Sienna is a better vehicle for family roads trips than any land cruiser lolz I’m dead serious too

The space too. My Sienna has close to double the cargo space of a 200 based on the specs. And its super low to the ground. I literally put my 8'-10' fishing kayak and several large 1-piece rods in it along with a ton of other gear on a regular basis and still have room for 3 people. I couldnt dream of doing that in my 100 or 80. Yeah it doesn't have any cool factor to it buy it's the most practical car I've ever owned. I use it for work too. We had 3 05 Siennas at one point, sold one due to rust.

I was considering a sedan (Lexus LS/Tesla), crossover, minivan, or 2dr wrangler as a third vehicle, then tropical storm Imelda hit, and I got to practice my “water crossings” on the drive home from work…

F__k that! For a moment I considered a surplus M1078, but that wouldn’t fit in my work parking garage, another 100 series it is…

I think if you started with a better 100 specimen you would have a different perspective. And there are rust free non OCD maintained specimens around.
I certainly agree with you. In hindsight, I overpaid for a vehicle that wasn't in nearly as good of condition as I thought it was. I'm a bit OCD on maintaining my vehicles, so I have a long road ahead to get this one sorted to my liking. Attached below are a few pics of the progress. Before/After pics after dry ice blasting, but before the job was completed with OSPHO and POR-15. Center muffler is about to fail, that's a new one to add to the long list.

Thank you all for the perspective. I agree with you guys about the size (love it) and the more classic shape. I've enjoyed the dialog here, keep it coming!

IMG_3471.jpg

68080522146__E8B59895-337A-4682-9A2C-E4113202568E.jpg

IMG_3482.JPG

680804726.JPG

68080474513__FFE86868-916B-4D3C-9271-D10A6A705395.jpg

You are going to have a great hundy by the looks of your work!

I have a 200 and a 100 and like the 100 more. There are lots of good reasons to love the 100 already posted, but for me it is the crotch vent. The cooled seats in the 200 are nice, but they are not a replacement for the crotch vent, just saying.

You are going to have a great hundy by the looks of your work!

I have a 200 and a 100 and like the 100 more. There are lots of good reasons to love the 100 already posted, but for me it is the crotch vent. The cooled seats in the 200 are nice, but they are not a replacement for the crotch vent, just saying.

The Toyota/Lexus cool seat design seems fundamentally flawed. When I sat on my LS430/RX350 seats, most of the small vent holes are blocked and no cold air can blow out. Maybe it only works well for a very skinny person. 😂

I’m a relatively new owner of a 100-series. This is my first Toyota. I’m in the process of restoring it: removing and treating rust, rebuilding suspension components, engine maintenance and interior refresh. I keep asking myself if I should have just bought a newer 200-series. I assume the cost is a big driver for many choosing the 100 series; however, are there any other reasons to go for a 100-series? I’m looking for something to remind myself to stick with it. Thank you all for your thoughts.
I know this thread is 100v200 BUT
I just upgraded from my 93 80 to an 06 100 and I love the 100 and I appreciate the ride quality and the power of it. I got it bc my wife’s hated driving the 80. The 200 was too $$ for me but I think the 100 was the last of the LC soul. I hear 200s are absolute beast off the pavement though.

The Toyota/Lexus cool seat design seems fundamentally flawed. When I sat on my LS430/RX350 seats, most of the small vent holes are blocked and no cold air can blow out. Maybe it only works well for a very skinny person. 😂
We test drove a couple 2018 LX this last month and let me tell you the cooled seats on LX do work wonders! I could actually feel the cooling affect in all the  right places. And I am definitely opposite of skinny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom