Who needs a radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We all do!!! Buy a set.

Communication is indispensible on the trail. On the xx run, we had about four sets of those small hand-held radios. Troll put all radios on the same channel and we could all talk and listen to each other - inside and outside of the cruisers.

Commo was so good I have decided not to purchase an expensive CB/ant, set.

Fellow cruisers: Please consider a purchase of these very affordable radios before our next outing. They range in price from $29-$69 for a complete set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some as well gotta find them though. and that is if i ever get a chance to go on a trail ride. Got my CB too, but need to get it tuned and hard wire the cb instead of the cig lighter plug.

Also, on the pics from this weekend. tell me it was harder than those at least a little. :) Nevermind with that last statement I just saw the quarry pics!!!!

Last edited:
Where did you pick yours up? Any difference between the 29 and 69 pair, or is it just a range thing? Thanks, Chuck

CruisinTiger said:
Where did you pick yours up? Any difference between the 29 and 69 pair, or is it just a range thing? Thanks, Chuck

Range (rated by amps) and other goodies like VOX (hands-free operation). I bought mine for $25 with charging station, nicads, and two radios. They have a range of 7 miles, 20 channels, but do not have VOX. Check out Lowes or Home Depot.

If possible, see if you can program your channels with a PL (private line). This is just another encrypted code that you enter. That way, you won't hear other people on the same channel that may not be a part of your group. (They can't hear you, either.) I have used these for years and they are supereior to CB's for clarity, as they are FM, not AM. You can easily get a pair of programmable units for under $50.00. I always bring a couple and give them to other trucks to use who may not have them. Lowe's/Home depot usually cary them.

I got mine a few years back at i think wally world on clearance. Paid I think $25 for 2. I think mine have the feature capt. jim talks about as well. Range is usually a shot in the dark. They make up alot from what I can tell. But I am not the type to pay an arm and a leg for stuff. (when I got mine nthey were selling for about $50 and up for a pair)

Cost, just depends on what you go with. I have abotu same amount $25 in my CB set-up. (Uniden CB, 3' firestick and mount for it. Prob wouldnt hurt to have both.

89s rule said:
Cost, just depends on what you go with. I have abotu same amount $25 in my CB set-up. (Uniden CB, 3' firestick and mount for it. Prob wouldnt hurt to have both.

CB's would be nice for when we are spaced apart...hand helds for spotting (seems like they broke up when we were not too far apart) IMHO

Capt. Jim said:
If possible, see if you can program your channels with a PL (private line). This is just another encrypted code that you enter. That way, you won't hear other people on the same channel that may not be a part of your group. (They can't hear you, either.) I have used these for years and they are supereior to CB's for clarity, as they are FM, not AM. You can easily get a pair of programmable units for under $50.00. I always bring a couple and give them to other trucks to use who may not have them. Lowe's/Home depot usually cary them.

Captain is right on this. Though some of the ones like alex's don't have Interference elliminator code. SO if you just get the standard ones I think we will be ok. Try to get a 1wat unit or higher I think they can go up to 2 watts. Also one with 22 channels or more would be better. Though being out in the sticks there will likely be a lot of traffic. Alex showed me a neat feature some of them have is a headseat with a mic. Some radios alow you to talk and hear hands free and some you still have to push the button. Though any headset is better when you can keep your hands on the steering wheel and hear better which was another problem we had. It's hard to hear in a 40 going down the highway with the top off much less what someone is saying on the road. Just things to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom