whitish foam in oil filler neck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I opened my oil filler neck I noticed this white scum foamy stuff lining the neck. I changed my oil a few days back when I first noticed this. The oil I drained out looked fine, wasn't white or foamy at all. Has anyone else expereinced this? I'm hoping that it's just something that happens as oil gets splashed up into the filler neck and not caused by antifreeze in the oil. Any thoughts? (Also, I didn't notice anything odd about oil I drained, like I didn't see any water or antifreeze in it.)

I don't have an answer, only that I have the same thing on the fillerneck and cap of my air-cooled VW. So maybe not an antifreeze issue?>I've never figured out what it is. I know I'm no help, but anxious for some insight, too.

Cardinal FJ60

Maybe it's a cold weather thing? I never noticed that during the summer. What about you and your VW?

That is condensation build up on the filler neck. Once the condensation jives with the oil residue that is left on the neck you get your grayish/white crap you are describing.

I had the same problem last winter...

Someone mentioned that if you do a lot of short trips without letting the rig get up to temperature, it'll cause that.

Mine turned out to be a leak in the thermostat housing, which then got thru the valve cover gasket somehow :D

It is from condensation. My mechanic assures me, and I have read before when this comes up, it is not a problem, really. I have quite a bit, and it is on the underside of the rocker cover as well. As it happens, my "new" low milage engine came with no PCV system, and my mechanic said he thought that would make the issue worse. So just last night I took the PCV system off my old engine and stuck it on the new setup. We'll see if it clears it up. Anyway, the reason I raise the point is, I wonder if your PCV valve is stuck.

[quote author=bull link=board=1;threadid=8602;start=msg73315#msg73315 date=1070988527]
That is condensation build up on the filler neck. Once the condensation jives with the oil residue that is left on the neck you get your grayish/white crap you are describing.

[/quote]

Thats it, i had a 91 s-10 blazer with a 4.3 and it done the same thing. first time it happened to me i freaked out thought all kinds of thing could be wrong. i drained the oil and it was fine. i talked to a old mechanic friend of mine and he just laughed and told me it was condensation go figure

Thanks for the great question and answers. I have the same problem and have been very nervous as I have been battling blown headgaskets and cracked/warped head issues since I bought my cruiser and thought this was a sign of impending doom again.

usually foamy oil means head gasket. sorry, but that's the case. My bug did the same thing, but that's the nature of air cooled engines. IN a 2F it means coolant in oil. Some condensation is fine, but too much means head gasket.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom