Events/Trails White Rim trail over Thanksgiving: 11/28 - 11/30 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking about you and wondering if you had snow. We were at the South Rim with 16" and no power north of I-40 for 24 hours. Room was cold and still way better than a tent at 8 degrees this morning. Picture is Friday morning before the snow stopped. I hope you had a great weekend despite the muddy retreat.

IMG_0422.JPG

Working on a few pics. Here are two videos.

Blowing snow storm.

Ali trying to get up in the mud.

Last edited:
Great videos! Always fun to see a vehicle sliding backwards in the mud while all four wheels are spinning in the opposite direction!

(As long as I am not behind the wheel!)

where are those chains?
The chains would have not been useful in this situation, Ali's 80, was trying to get up a muddy rock ledge. The chains would not have had anything to grab on to for traction.

where are those chains?

Jon and I walked up the hill quite a bit and found that it got steeper and it's a long arse hill. The soil was completely saturated and there were no winch anchor points. So, even I managed to climb the hill with tire chains, I'd have destroyed the hill for anyone else. There was also no margin for error on this climb and sliding back down with all four wheels locked is no bueno!

Jon and I walked up the hill quite a bit and found that it got steeper and it's a long arse hill. The soil was completely saturated and there were no winch anchor points. So, even I managed to climb the hill with tire chains, I'd have destroyed the hill for anyone else. There was also no margin for error on this climb and sliding back down with all four wheels locked is no bueno!
Better safe than sorry. Smart decision.

did you guys end up camping somewhere else or did you just go into Moab?

We camped at the Gooseberry camp site 2nd & 3rd nights. Wed night, we camped outside of Moab, along the river.

A few pics.

At Ali's request. Dude sleeping under his truck.

20191128_083142-sm.jpg

20191128_105633-sm.jpg

IMGP1957=sm.jpg

IMGP1967-sm.jpg

IMGP1984-sm.jpg

More.

IMGP1989-sm.jpg

IMGP1995-sm.jpg

IMGP1998-sm.jpg

IMGP1963-sm.jpg

IMGP2005-sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread